Re: Chalice of the Sun Gods IV: The Quest for Peace

  • Steven Fuller
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2007
      Thank you, everyone, for your helpful suggestions! I will definitely
      look into all of this (especially looking for period tunes and
      writing my own lyrics...such a great idea, Michael! I've always been
      terrible with writing music but a decent lyricist...) and see what I
      can rustle up for the competition. I'm so excited now! :)

      Thanks again for all the help!

      --Rhys.

      P.S. And Michael, it was sad that Garraed didn't have the Bardic
      Symposium this year at Pennsic. I especially appreciated his and your
      critiques of the song that I sang!

      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Greenstein"
      <greenstein@...> wrote:

      > > At least one of my two songs must be a period style and
      > documented... I know there are a TON of songs out there about war,
      but
      > does anyone know of a period song about peace..? And how should I go
      > about presenting my documentation. Never had to document anything
      > before...
      >
      > Easiest might be to take a documentably period tune, and write your
      own
      > lyrics on the desired subject. That gives you period tune and
      scansion,
      > meaning so long as your lyrics avoid "wrong dream-ism," you're good
      to go on
      > documentably period style. For that matter, writing your own
      lyrics to an
      > existing tune is itself a very period practice!
      >
      > As for picking your tune, that depends on what you know and like,
      what you
      > can sing, and how deeply you care to search until you find Just The
      Right