Vintage recordings of Japanese koto, gagaku

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 9:09 PM
      This link was posted to the SCA-JML Yahoo Group the other day.
      http://media2.nacs.uci.edu/rgarfias/mp3/japan/japan.html

      The CD generation will find the sound quality poor as these mp3 files
      were taken from very old 78 records.

      The koto repertoire contained on this site is all post-SCA-period.
      Rokudan is the earliest piece and that's 17th century.

      Gagaku is the music of the Imperial Court, and many of these pieces
      are quite old. They will sound quite alien to Western ears and are
      definitely an acquired taste, but I confess I got hooked after
      attending a gagaku performance at Cal Berkeley about a year or so ago.

      Jehanne de Wodeford who is sometimes Saionji no Hanae
      West