Re: Quest for a Song

  • Kevin Brock
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
      As far as poetic/sung translations in English, the best one I know of
      (introduced to me by the aforementioned Efenwealt, and who sings it
      when requested) is by John Renbourn on his CD "The Enchanted Garden."

      Olivier de Bayonne
    • Greg Lindahl
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
        On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:41:54PM -0000, Steven Fuller wrote:
        > Honorable Lords and Ladies, Good Gentles All,
        >
        > I am on a search... I know there is a period song called "Douce Dame
        > Jolie", and I wondered if anyone could direct me to an MP3 or other
        > recording of it.

        I have MIDI of the melody as part of "Vlad's Tunes for Filking" at:

        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/vladislav/filk/

        I suppose I should try to see if I can convert the midis to mp3s, to
        make them easier to use.

        -- Gregory
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Fuller" <dirtysteve23@...>
          wrote:

          > Honorable Lords and Ladies, Good Gentles All,
          >
          > I am on a search... I know there is a period song called "Douce Dame
          > Jolie", and I wondered if anyone could direct me to an MP3 or other
          > recording of it.

          There's a version in French on "Where Beauty Moves And Wit Delights"
          by the New World Renaissance Band:
          http://www.owainphyfe.com/owain/lyrics/where-beauty-moves.htm

          I believe someone has already mentioned an English transliteration
          recorded by John Renbourne.

          There's also a fairly extensive discography here:
          http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/composers/machaut/v4.html

          Oh, nice instrumental arrangement here:
          http://www.medievalminstrels.com/Douce%20dame.mp3

          Jehanne de Wodeford
        • Deborah Geary
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
             I was going to suggest some of those sites as well, but, I also believe the "Aethelmearc, My Home" is set to that tune.  That can be found on the Aethelmearc College of Bards' website.

            > Honorable Lords and Ladies, Good Gentles All,
            >
            > I am on a search... I know there is a period song called "Douce Dame
            > Jolie", and I wondered if anyone could direct me to an MP3 or other
            > recording of it.

            There's a version in French on "Where Beauty Moves And Wit Delights"
            by the New World Renaissance Band:
            http://www.owainphy fe.com/owain/ lyrics/where- beauty-moves. htm

            I believe someone has already mentioned an English transliteration
            recorded by John Renbourne.

            There's also a fairly extensive discography here:
            http://www.medieval .org/emfaq/ composers/ machaut/v4. html

            Oh, nice instrumental arrangement here:
            http://www.medieval minstrels. com/Douce% 20dame.mp3

            Jehanne de Wodeford

            Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          • Greg Lindahl
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2007
              > I have MIDI of the melody as part of "Vlad's Tunes for Filking" at:
              >
              > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/vladislav/filk/
              >
              > I suppose I should try to see if I can convert the midis to mp3s, to
              > make them easier to use.

              I have now added mp3s to this page.

              -- Gregory