Re: [SCA_BARDS] Talls and smalls

  • Drew Nicholson
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 28, 2007
      Heh.  Silliness is as silliness does, I suppose.  :D

      It's been my feeling that -some- SCAdians do the word substitution thing not because they've been culturally ingrained to do so (as opposed to "y'all" or "youse") but because they feel like they have to emphasize their differences from the "mundanes".

      It's like "dragon" for car.  "Car" is a perfectly good word.

      But like I said... :)

      On 2/28/07, Lisa Harmon < asilnomrah@...> wrote:

      Well, sugar dolll, it just may be a cultural predilection. Southerners tend to use them a good bit. ANd I don't think Sca-kins sounds as good on the ear- (Skah-Kins) - kins being another one of those suffixes.

      And if it weren't for silliness, Monthy Python would never have been. Peolpe take things too seriously sometimes. Just leads to depression, repression and upset tummies.

      alais

      Drew Nicholson <drewishdrewid@gmail.com> wrote:
      "kids"

      I don't see "skah-ling" or "smalls" or "hobbits" or "halflings" as diminutives.   I see them as silly.

      But that's just me; if you like it, certainly, continue... ;)

      Finding fabulous fares is fun.

    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Drew Nicholson" <drewishdrewid@...>
        wrote:

        > Heh. Silliness is as silliness does, I suppose. :D
        >
        > It's been my feeling that -some- SCAdians do the word substitution
        thing not
        > because they've been culturally ingrained to do so (as opposed to
        "y'all" or
        > "youse") but because they feel like they have to emphasize their
        differences
        > from the "mundanes".

        Remember (and I should not have to remind the members of THIS of all
        lists), words have power. A good rule of thumb might be to think about
        whether a word has the power to make you sound like a blathering idiot
        as it rolls non-mundanely off your tongue.

        Tuppenceworth,
        Jehanne de Wodeford
      • Lisa Harmon
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2007
          My ex-husband lost his sense of silliness over a seven year span. He also developed a fear of being seen as anything less than competent, intelligent and serious. Tragic how a relationship dies from distemper.

          I, on the other hand, have no fear of my idiocy. Laughter is the best medicine, so 'tis best to stay in good humor.

          Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious y'all!

          alais

          wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
           A good rule of thumb might be to think about
          whether a word has the power to make you sound like a blathering idiot
          as it rolls non-mundanely off your tongue.

          Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

        • jenny tavernier
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2007
            Far speakers - (LOL!) Everytime I hear this I am back reading cordwainer smith. Who's actually about due for another good reading.

            Jen

            Seige Mathematics. "The right angle to approach a difficult problem is the 'try-angle'" - anon.

            softfooted insight
            when they reached with their voice
            they commanded a greater power and weaponry
            beyond any mere mortal touch

            ©2005JHT

            It's here! Your new message!
          • Marcus Antaya
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 1, 2007
              I always like asking for a magic sundial...

              I get the strangest looks...

              Gyric

              jenny tavernier <lyricdancer88@...> wrote:
              Far speakers - (LOL!) Everytime I hear this I am back reading cordwainer smith. Who's actually about due for another good reading.

              Jen

              Seige Mathematics. "The right angle to approach a difficult problem is the 'try-angle'" - anon.

              softfooted insight
              when they reached with their voice
              they commanded a greater power and weaponry
              beyond any mere mortal touch

              ©2005JHT

              It's here! Your new message!

              Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
              Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around nice guy
              REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

            • Stephen R. Melvin
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 1, 2007
                You mean the anachronometer?

                -R

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 1, 2007
                  I remember that term- only they just said sundial- no magic to it.

                  Marcus Antaya <lordgyric@...> wrote:
                  I always like asking for a magic sundial...

                  Don't pick lemons.
                  See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                • Brett Lawrence
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 1, 2007

                    The only use I know of for an Anachronometer is to set my Aquitaine on the first day of a war...

                    (Woe betide me if it is overcast! Must not be late for that tryst...)

                    English -- what a language! Language -- what an invention! SkaSpeak -- Sillier than some, but longer-lived than others...

                    The thing that strikes me about all of this, is that many of the words that we have been discussing -- are the ONLY attempts that many people make at 'speaking forsoothly' at all!

                    ~~ Secca ~~

                    My poetry: http://www.geocities.com/o_secca@.../
                    http://erika.net ~~ The BEST in Eclectic Web Radio!

                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 1, 2007
                      In movies, when the native speaks of the techology brought by the time-traveling heroes, they pause or stumble.
                      Would it be more proper to speak modern terms in a like manner? Or to just boldly utter them in character as if the modern tech isn't some new and strange thing, but a part of everyday life?

                      Hmmmm......

                      Brett Lawrence <o_secca@...> wrote:
                      The thing that strikes me about all of this, is that many of the words that we have been discussing -- are the ONLY attempts that many people make at 'speaking forsoothly' at all!
                      ~~ Secca ~~

                      Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                      in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

                    • Tani Ann (Haney) Mough
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 2, 2007
                        Hmmmm I am a northaner by birth, But Meridian by heart...

                        I had been introduced to the SCA in the Midrealm and was told that most
                        of the Northern, NW, NE and W kingdoms did try to speak the Kings
                        English. When I came south... I was told, "just try and ask a southron
                        to speak forsouthly... it won't happen" So we try to use terms that
                        make modern things seem like some of Leonardo's wild inventions. At
                        least in my part of Meridies...

                        Working on new tunes for Gulf Wars... hope to meet up with some bards
                        there this year... I'm staying with Barony Bryn Madoc. Email let's get
                        together! ladyflannait at gmail dot com.

                        With a song and a Smile....
                        Lady Flannait
                        Past Past Kingdom Bard
                        Beau Fort, Meridies

                        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Brett Lawrence <o_secca@...> wrote:

                        > The only use I know of for an Anachronometer is to set my Aquitaine
                        on the first day of a war...
                        > (Woe betide me if it is overcast! Must not be late for that tryst...)
                        > English -- what a language! Language -- what an invention! SkaSpeak --
                        Sillier than some, but longer-lived than others...
                        > The thing that strikes me about all of this, is that many of the
                        words that we have been discussing -- are the ONLY attempts that many
                        people make at 'speaking forsoothly' at all!
                        > ~~ Secca ~~
                        > My poetry: http://www.geocities.com/o_secca@.../
                        > http://erika.net ~~ The BEST in Eclectic Web Radio!

                      • Raymond McKee
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 2, 2007
                          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Harmon <asilnomrah@...> wrote:

                          > My ex-husband lost his sense of silliness over a seven year span.
                          He also developed a fear of being seen as anything less than
                          competent, intelligent and serious. Tragic how a relationship dies
                          from distemper.

                          > I, on the other hand, have no fear of my idiocy. Laughter is the
                          best medicine, so 'tis best to stay in good humor.

                          > Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious y'all!
                          >
                          > alais
                          >
                          > wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
                          > A good rule of thumb might be to think about
                          > whether a word has the power to make you sound like a blathering
                          idiot
                          > as it rolls non-mundanely off your tongue.
                          >

                          > ---------------------------------
                          > Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                          Dignity Is Highly Over-Rated

                          Dignity is highly over-rated
                          Don't be afraid to be ridiculous.
                          Believe me, there's no shame
                          In joining in the game.
                          The Fantasy is real for all of us.

                          Have you seen the ones who hang upon the sidelines,
                          Clinging to their stubbornness and pride;
                          Too cool to join the fun.
                          They miss the point, my son.
                          What they might give stays bottled up inside.

                          Dignity is highly over-rated.
                          Don't be afraid to be ridiculous.
                          Believe me, there's no shame
                          In joining in the game.
                          The fantasy is real for all of us.

                          Give me the man who gets into the spirit;
                          Who doesn't let his ego rule his head.
                          Who dares to be uncool,
                          Willing to look the fool
                          To make the dream more real for all instead.

                          Dignity is highly over-rated.
                          Don't be afraid to be ridiculous.
                          Believe me, there's no shame
                          In joining in the game.
                          The fantasy is real for all of us.

                          Happy is the one who takes his pleasure
                          Indulging in his spirit's need to play:
                          Who answers to the call
                          To share the joy of all
                          Of us who dream together in this way.

                          Dignity is highly over-rated.
                          Don't be afraid to be ridiculous.
                          Believe me, there's no shame
                          In joining in the game.
                          The fantasy is real for all of us.

                          Raymond the Scot
                          Bard of Owl's Nest
                          www.owlsnestbard.blogspot.com
                        • Arsieu de Bordeaulx
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 2, 2007
                            It tells me one thing.

                            For Anachronists, we certainly are a Creative Society. *winks*

                            -=Arsieu, waxing philosophically without candles or bees=-

                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 2, 2007
                              --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Arsieu de Bordeaulx" <arsieu@...>
                              wrote:

                              > For Anachronists, we certainly are a Creative Society. *winks*

                              One of the most creative moments I remember having was when I met His
                              Grace, Cariadoc of the Bow at one of my first events here in the West
                              Kingdom. He had introduced himself by asking if I liked stories and
                              then plopped unceremoniously onto the floor at my feet and regaled me
                              with one in grand Saracen style.

                              I had an intense, but eminently rewarding improvisational scramble
                              when His Grace asked where I was from. I described via geographical
                              features and distance where Rusted Woodlands was in relation to
                              Ostgardr (a place he knew in the East). "Oh, you know, it's to the
                              west across the river and above the great palisades, perhaps a half a
                              day's easy ride on a decent horse."

                              Now THAT was fun.

                              Jehanne de Wodeford, whose super secret Indian name is "Strolls With
                              Monkeys."
                            • Lisa Harmon
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 2, 2007
                                Claps. Tres appropos.

                                The best people I have worked with have the ability to be serious and silly in turns as the circumstance calls for it- a tense moment of frustration lightened by a clever quip; a look of utter silliness as a call back to the seriousness of the task at hand. Great comedies have dramatic moments and great dramas have moments of humor. Comedy and tragedy- this is the human condition. A steady diet of one without the other is unbalancing.

                                And no matter is one is speaking silly or forsoothly, they are both an aspect of playing rather than being indicative of the medievel culture one has chosen to emulate. No 9th Century Irishman will speak in the same language and the same language construction as a 16th Century Venetian woman. The world perspective is different and language is how the world perspective is encoded for the culture.

                                Examine American English over the past 150 years. The vocabularies of the general populations has been reduced and the sentence construction has simplified. Once, a person who may not know how to read commanded a verbal ability above the level of his reading ability. Now, it's a comic gimmick for the "brute" to roll out college level words. The literature of an earlier time is different than the literature of today- even the pulp type is different.

                                In planning a program of artistic works, a touch of the opposite helps the overall effect. An evening of light-hearted love songs and comedic works with a moment of seriousness or saddness- Richard Pryor knew this in his comedy and his work was based a lot on pain. The movie Tremors has it so mixed up you don't know whether to scream or chortle. The band Styx with their concept albums has differing moods. Stivel's Celtic Symphony has dark and light movements. The Elks have a ceremony I have witnessed at their New Year's Eve parties where at a single point of time, they pause in the dancing adn laughter and take a moment to remember those who are with them partying in spirit only. Being at my Grandmother's visitations and seeing tears and hearing laughter when she passed. This is the human condition.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 4, 2007
                                  What's the tune to this? I scanned immediately to "History is Made by Stupid People" by the Arrogant Worms...

                                  Gyric

                                  All new Yahoo! Mail

                                • Raymond McKee
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 5, 2007
                                    I haven't set it to any tune. If the one you have works for you,
                                    then go for it. Just get my name right when you introduce it.