Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Bardic Collegium and Coaching Class...

  • Helene al-Zarqa
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 17, 2007
      Up here in the Barony of Delftwood in the Kingdom or Æthelmearc (the Barony 3 hours away referenced by Lady Dearbhforgaill), our current Baronial Bardic Champion and incipient Baroness as well (Talk about a safe haven for bards!) hosts weekly Bardic gatherings while AT fight practice.  We go into our little corner and coach each other with good positive feedback and a safe environment.  It's wonderful.  :)  I guess that's the thing: getting critical mass so you can exchange ideas.  As an audience, we all know what 'works' for us and what doesn't, so even if I'm not primarily a storyteller, I can let a storyteller know what tricks are working and what falls flat.

      Helene

      On 1/17/07, dancesin_moonlight <truethomas@...> wrote:

      I agree....there are many times I wish I had some other advanced
      storytellers in the SCA community to work material with. And I could
      get into some vocal coaching too. But as an SCA member, with two
      careers, a kid, and being a single dad...half the problem is oh so
      familiar, finding the time.
      As bards we have some resource issues...
      Bard practice does not happen like fighter practice...
      Learning opportunities are not so much. (the occasional collegium,
      and such)
      Chances to try our stuff in front of "safe" audiences, not so much.
      Mentorships, not so much.

      Here in Caid, one of biggest obstacles is distance and traffic. I
      live up in Thousand Oaks. Even though I live less than 100 miles away
      from at least a dozen of great bards, but the traffic during normal
      hours is beastly.

      But! If we could get every bard, to do 4 coaching sessions a year,
      two with one person, and two with another, and then check in with
      them at events..... I think we could have a huge impact on many
      things-
      1. The quality of performances
      2. The creation of new material
      3. Retention and Recruitment of new performers
      4. Finding knowledgable responses to advanced work & material

      Think of it...thats just one session every 3 months. I think once the
      ball got rolling, people would want more. Now granted, all the
      coaches and performers come to the table with different skills. And
      good coaching takes some practice. I would be glad to have another
      coaching class, if I can get 4 or 5 people together. And I'm certain
      there are other schools of coaching out there that others might have
      available. I would be willing to teach the classes elsewhere, but my
      budget is limited.

      Blessings- T

      .

      --
      Lady Helene al-Zarqá
      Chronicler, Barony of Delftwood
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 19, 2007
        <<Up here in the Barony of Delftwood in the Kingdom or Æthelmearc (the
        Barony 3 hours away referenced by Lady Dearbhforgaill), our current Baronial
        Bardic Champion and incipient Baroness as well (Talk about a safe haven for
        bards!) hosts weekly Bardic gatherings while AT fight practice. We go into
        our little corner and coach each other with good positive feedback and a
        safe environment. It's wonderful. :) I guess that's the thing: getting
        critical mass so you can exchange ideas. As an audience, we all know what
        'works' for us and what doesn't, so even if I'm not primarily a storyteller,
        I can let a storyteller know what tricks are working and what falls flat.

        That's a good idea. I may just try doing that at our fighting and fencing
        practice. Especially with both Brion and Michael there, and some other
        bardic types. The only problem I see is that Bardic stuff takes time.
        Everyone would have to limit themselves to one piece, or ask a permission of
        the others to do a longer one. After all, they are giving up an hour of
        their fighting time. It may be a good place to try out new pieces.

        Another thing I'd like to do are recording sessions. We have a recording
        setup that works pretty well as long as someone keeps the dog from barking.
        Thus, I think we will have monthly bardic meetings at our house. Like
        single parents, I have parenting obligations. Brion and I are good about
        sharing our time, but "meeting after work" just doesn’t work for our family.
        That's prime homework and dinner time, and we almost always eat dinner
        together.

        Somebody mentioned singing. The best singing I have ever experienced was at
        two events: The Bardic Madness in the Midrealm (no competitions, it's a
        "bardic incubator" event and draws really good bards from far away, and
        "Cooks and Bards", it happens every 2 years and rotates between kingdoms.
        Both were a lot of fun.

        Kazi (the new BMDL bard)

        <mailto:truethomas@...> > wrote:

[...]

      • Deborah Geary
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 19, 2007
          Yeah, Kazi!  Congratulations!

          Having bardic gatherings at fighter practice is a great idea!  The only downside that I can see for me personally is that our fighter practices are in the back room of a bar in the winter and the room's kind of small and I'm certain that it's not the type of place that gives a rat's behind about Scranton's new smoking ban.  I've been thinking about hosting some bardic gatherings at my house but my dog's a real pain in the butt when he meets new people...so, we're thinking of different places to host....perhaps we can rotate it.

          It occurred to me that I may have misrepresented the fact that there are no singers here in Aethelmearc...  We have some excellent singers (Helene and Her Soon to Be Excellency of Delftwood - come immediately to mind) but in my limited experience in Aethelmearc, I've noticed that there seems to be more storytellers and poets than singers.  When I was in the East, I noticed more singers than storytellers and poets.  Anybody have any thoughts on this?  Does the type of art form change over the years?  Does one form become more fashionable than others?

          On 1/17/07, dancesin_moonlight <truethomas@sbcgloba l.net
          <mailto:truethomas@sbcgloba l.net> > wrote:

[...]

          It's here! Your new message!
        • KaziBrionSCA
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 19, 2007
            <<It occurred to me that I may have misrepresented the fact that there are
            no singers here in Aethelmearc... We have some excellent singers (Helene
            and Her Soon to Be Excellency of Delftwood - come immediately to mind) but
            in my limited experience in Aethelmearc, I've noticed that there seems to be
            more storytellers and poets than singers. When I was in the East, I noticed
            more singers than storytellers and poets. Anybody have any thoughts on
            this? Does the type of art form change over the years? Does one form
            become more fashionable than others?

            I think that at least on a local travel level, people learn from who happens
            to be good. People tell stories *because* we have good (i.e. professional
            gig quality) storytellers that teach their art to others. If we had top
            notch (again, professional gig quality) singers who gave classes, more
            people in Æthelmearc would sing. I can tell you right away that when I go
            to one of the bardic immersion events, or Pennsic, or an Ealdemerean event
            where some key people are, I take a singing class or two and come back with
            great visions of expanding my singing repertoire. Then nothing happens. I
            don't have the time to chase down Helene or some other good singers in the
            kingdom for occasional vocal instruction. I hardly have the time to cram
            new lyrics few weeks before Pennsic.

            I'd like to learn 3 songs that I don't know yet before Pennsic, and one of
            them should be an Æthelmearc song. I still fake a lot of "Scarlet", for
            instance. I just don't sing enough. If I had an instructional tape or CD
            that was of a good-enough quality as not to drive me, the kids, and the dog
            nuts with repeated playings, I would sing with the recording just to get the
            songs down. Speaking of which, where are those songs Silence and Gwen
            recorded and posted? Since I now have an MP3 player, I could try that.

            Kazi
          • Deborah Geary
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 19, 2007
              I found Scarlet and Aethelmearc, My Kingdom So Fair on the Bards' site.  I sang the latter at Ulrich's Investiture...  I strive to add two or three new pieces to my bag of tricks a year.  For instance, for Sylvan Bard, I wrote the Dowland Contrafactum and I learned a new Campian piece called "Now Winter Nights Enlarge."  The reason I do this is because I don't want people to think that I'm boring and I want to grow as a vocalist.  I envy those of you who can tell stories well.  I'm just not that good at it...I'm learning how to write my own poetry but I wouldn't consider performing it out unless it was set to music.   If I'm working with a CD, I put into my car CD player and sing it ad nauseum to the point where my daughter is screaming 'ENOUGH!'  If I'm learning a piece from sheet music, I'll play it over and over on the piano and gradually decrease my dependence on the piano.  Then, I add my pitch pipe to help me stay on key...using it only at key places in the piece such as cadences and weird accidentals.  Eventually, I can eliminate the need for piano and pitch pipe and I am ready to sing a cappela.  I would like very much to be a more rounded bard and start to incorporate some storytelling into my schtick. If you want, I would love to help you with developing your voice if you wouldn't mind helping me learn how to be a storyteller.

              Dearbhforgaill

[...]

              in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
              to find your fit.
            • Mathurin Kerbusso
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 19, 2007
                Deborah Geary wrote:

                > I want to grow as a vocalist. I envy those of you who can tell
                > stories well. I'm just not that good at it...I'm learning how to
                > write my own poetry but I wouldn't consider performing it out unless
                > it was set to music.

                Reciting poetry and storytelling both help build your skills as a
                performer in general and as a vocalist in particular. Take it as a
                different kind of challenge, you will be pleasantly surprised at the result.

                Mathurin
              • Marcus Antaya
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 19, 2007
                  I had the very great honour of being asked by Gwen to assist with the Sylvan Bard Competition at Aethelmearc 12th night, at least insofar as giving my measured opinion.

                  I found a nice mix of talent, subject matter and styles. Some spoken, some sung. I was highly impressed with the quality of the work, if not the performances themselves. (I don't think that came out right, I just don't know how to word it better...I was more impressed with the work that was produced than to hear them actually performed...better?)

                  Great singers are a dime a dozen...mediocre singers cost even less...American Idol proves that in spades...the amount of original works that were shown was really nice. I don't personally do my own stuff often because I don't write lyrics. Give me a set of words, I can put a tune to it in minutes, but I am no wordsmith. That always impresses me, and I'm terribly jaded, don'tcha know.

                  Aethelmearc Bards are doing very well, and with a little more practice and confidence they will be a force to be reckoned with.

                  Gyric

                  Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
                  Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around nice guy
                  REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

                • Deborah Geary
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 20, 2007
                    As one of the competitors at 12th Night, I offer my humble thanks!  I was impressed with the talent I competed against at 12th Night.  Everyone did an excellent job!

                    Now, as for the "great singers are a dime a dozen" comment:  I vehemently disagree.  I work very hard to present music that's varied and relevent to the situation at hand.  I spend weeks rehearsing and polishing a piece before I perform it out and I don't sit on pieces that work well and reuse them over and over and over (like some storytellers I've heard do).  Not that I consider myself to be a "great" singer but I consider myself to be a pretty damn good one...I have met and heard perform several great singers in the SCA and I would never consider them to be a "dime a dozen!"  Geez!  That's as bad as saying a singer isn't a musician!  Singing is what I do and it is what people recognize me for...does that make me worth less than a dime?  Does it make you worth more because you're a storyteller?

                    American Idol is doodoo!  Any young hot body with a parrot's brain and some semblance of pitch can get up and sing bad Pop a cappella!

                    In service,

                    Lady Dearbhforgaill an Chomhaidh, OTroubador, OSycamore
                    2006-07 Seven Pearls Bardic Champion of Aethelmeac
                    2006-07 Bardic Champion for the Barony of Endless Hills
                    Formerly of the Crown Province of Ostgardr, East Kingdom

                    "All do not all things well.  Some measures comely tread; some knotted riddles tell; some poems smoothly read."  Thomas Campian

[...]

                    Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                    in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
                  • Kataryna Dragonweaver
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 21, 2007
                      It may depend where you are from. There is pretty much a 50/50
                      split between the musical side and the storytelling side in AnTir (if
                      kingdom bardic entries are used as an indication). The singers tend to
                      be more noticable in my local area, but there are a number of
                      storytellers - they just aren't as obvious.
                      -Kataryna
                    • Steven Fuller
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 25, 2007
                        Here in Atlantia, we also have bards of significant note (Master
                        Efenweldt [my apologies for spelling errors...] and Lord Richard Wyn
                        certainly spring quickly to mind!), but we all seem to be spread out
                        from each other. Well, here in the Barony of Bright Hills (northen MD)
                        it definitely seems that way. It seems we lack those that can teach
                        period songs or performance.

                        We have some dancers, and a few instrument performers and poets, but
                        few actual singers. We tried forming a group of about 8 of us together
                        to practice monthly, but many times schedules were in conflict. Or, as
                        is in my case, people found it hard to find material to practice.

                        So I would have two questions then: The first, how would we go about
                        organizing and getting something together to increase the bardic
                        activity in our particular location, seeing as how most of the bards in
                        our Kingdom who know enough to teach are too far away?

                        Also, where are some good places to find recordings of period music? I
                        am a singer, and have sung many times on stage (mostly in bars and
                        clubs), but I cannot read music nor play any instrument. The only way I
                        can learn a song is to listen to it repeatedly until I memorize it.

                        Any thoughts or suggestions?

                        --Lord Rhys Cantor.
                        Barony of Bright Hills
                        Order of King's Missiliers
                        Bardic Dreamer

                        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Geary <derborgaill@...> wrote:

                        > I live in Aethelmearc and we have some extremely talented bards here
                        but Aethelmearc is so spread out that it's difficult to get us all in
                        one place. We have some excellent bards in Debatable Lands but that's
                        6 hours from me; some more up in NY that are 3 hours away; and I KNOW
                        I'm missing more but those are the places that come to mind when I
                        think bardic. There seems to be quite a lot of excellent poets and
                        storytellers here but singers are hard to find. My goal for the
                        upcoming year is to host bardic gatherings here in the Scranton,
                        Pennsylvania area to give the area bards a place to brainstorm. As a
                        matter of fact, we were discussing who would be the most likely
                        candidate to host it at 12th Night. "Gee Brain, whaddaya wanna do
                        tonight?" "Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the
                        world!" That's my goal: a bardic takeover of the known world! I
                        digress... ;-)

                      • Marcus Antaya
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 25, 2007
                          Just a quick note.

                          I wanted to mention something cool that happened at Aethelmearc 12th Night.

                          I was watching some of the children during court as none of it really pertained to me (I don't particularily watch court in my own kingdom, much less others...grin) and I pulled out my bohdran.

                          A scot walked by and asked if I played that thing. I blew out a quick riff and he acknowledged I could. I noticed the fiddle case at his side and repeated the question back at him.

                          Long story short (too late...:) we started to jam...and it was awesome. Not me, particularly, but the session itself. We were in another room, but it really started to fly. I cannot remember the gentle's name, but he also was a Rennie and quite a talented fiddler. We were really starting to get into it when someone came and asked us to kindly desist as we were disturbing people listening to court.

                          So we unfortunately ended our fun and played a game instead. I asked around later, and it appears the only person we were disturbing was the guy who was (i'm guessing) watching court from directly outside the door of where we were. No one else was able to hear anything. (In case my subtle tones are lost by typing I am totally torqued at that one...we were having a great time...*mutter mutter curse curse)

                          Oh well. The point is, I guess, that this kind of thing doesn't really happen often, nor should it be squashed. I hope the good scot and I can meet again and continue what we had started.

                          Gyric

                          Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
                          Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around nice guy
                          REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

                        • Anjuli
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 25, 2007
                            I would be willing to teach at a Bardic Collegium, if one were
                            organized, somewhere in MD. I am a professional voice coach,
                            specializing in the music of the Tudor period in the SCA, and I also
                            teach English Country and other dancing (in fact, I teach a class in
                            English Country Dancing at my local Y every Tuesday evening.) If we
                            could get something together once a month that would meet, either in a
                            central location, or at a different location every month, so the same
                            folks wouldn't have to travel all the time (I live in the far west,
                            which is technically Highland Foorde, but is slightly under 2 hours west
                            of Frederick) I would be very happy to lend whatever expertise I can to
                            the proceedings.

                            Anjuli

                          • wodeford
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 25, 2007
                              --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Fuller" <dirtysteve23@...>
                              wrote:
                              > Also, where are some good places to find recordings of period music?

                              Any idea what part of "period" you are interested in? It's a very
                              broad range. You can actually find quite a lot in the classical
                              section of your local music store - even chains like Borders and
                              Barnes & Noble.

                              The King's Singers "Madrigal History Tour" is an excellent place to
                              start. Late period stuff is comfortable for most modern ears, and
                              while these are multipart madrigals, there are several pieces in here
                              that you could learn to sing solo (a good friend of mine taught
                              himself a bunch of these on the 13 hour drive to Estrella one year).

                              Look for titles by "The Baltimore Consort." The soloist is soprano
                              Custer LaRue, lovely, lyrical AND it's another source for period
                              pieces arranged for solo vocalist.

                              There are a number of recordings by Owain Phyfe either solo or with
                              the New World Renaissance Band. Again, very accessible to the modern
                              ear, specifically arranged for vocal solo and a good place to pick up
                              some singable period tunes.

                              I've got tons more. If you want to explore earlier periods and styles
                              there's a bunch of stuff out there.

                              Cheers,
                              Jehanne de Wodeford
                            • wodeford
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 25, 2007
                                wrote:

                                > Also, where are some good places to find recordings of period music?

                                Your local music store in the classical section, believe it or not.
                                Even the megachains nowadays have a decent selection of early music.

                                I highly recommend the King's Singers' "Madrigal History Tour." Yes,
                                they're madgrigals, but some of them are perfectly singable solo. It's
                                a great overview of the international madrigal form and it's
                                relatively accessible to the modern ear. Great place to start.

                                The Baltimore Consort does recordings of both instrumental and vocal
                                music with soprano Custer La Rue. Eminently listenable and (a plus for
                                you!) it's a vocal soloist.

                                You may also want to look for recordings by Owain Phyfe solo or with
                                the New World Renaissance Band. Ear friendly and more arrangements of
                                period tunes for vocal soloist.

                                The following is part of a CD bibliography I was compiling awhile
                                back. All of these are vocal or vocal and instrumental tracks. Try
                                looking them up on Amazon.com as you may be able to find track samples
                                to give a listen to. I should warn you that the Naxos budget CDS often
                                do not have lyrics enclosed.

                                Alla Francesca, Cantigas." 2000, Opus, 30-308 (17 Cantigas de Santa Maria)

                                Anonymous 4 "Portrait" 1997, Harmonia Mundi HMS 2907210 (A sampler
                                taken from several of their albums.)

                                Baltimore Consort, On The Banks of Helicon: Early Music of Scotland.
                                1990, Dorian DOR-90139

                                Boston Camerata, A Renaissance Christmas. 1986, Elektra Nonesuch 9 79134-2

                                Boston Camerata, Carmina Burana. 1996, Erato Disques, S.A., 0630-14987-2

                                Boston Camerata, John Dowland: Farewell, Unkind. 1996, Erato 0630-12704-2

                                Camerata of London, Popular Music From The Time of Queen Elizabeth I.
                                1994, Saga Classics EC-3352-2

                                Capella Alamire, The Early Josquin. 1995, Dorian Discovery DIS-80131

                                Early Music Consort of London, Music of the Crusades. 1991. London 430
                                264-2

                                Ensemble Anonymus, Llibre Vermell. 1995, Analeckta Distributions FL 2 3055

                                Ensemble Clement Janequin, Les Plaisirs du Palais. 2001, Harmonia
                                Mundi 901729 (French Renaissance drinking songs.)

                                Ensemble Musica Antiqua, Claude Gervaise: Danceries. (Claves 50-9616)

                                Hilliard Ensemble, Josquin Motets & Chansons. 1996, Virgin Classics
                                Ltd. 7243 5 61302 2 7

                                Hilliard Ensemble, Medieval English Music: Anonymous 14th & 15th
                                century masters. 2002, Classical Express HCX 3951106

                                Hilliard Ensemble, The Old Hall Manuscript. 1997, Virgin Classics Ltd.
                                7243 5 61393 2

                                Hilliard Ensemble, Sumer Is Icumen In: Chants Medievaux Anglais. 1984.
                                Harmonia Mundi France HMC 901154

                                Kings Singers, Madrigal History Tour. EMI Angel CDM 769837 2

                                Kings Singers, "English Renaissance." 1995 BMG Music, 009026-68004-2
                                (Choral works by William Byrd and Thomas Tallis)

                                Purcell Consort, Now Make We Merthe. 1994 Boston Skyline 3035-70121-2

                                Sherwood Consort, Robin Loves Me: The Legend of Robin and Marion.
                                1998, Winged Horse Music WH0511

                                Zuchetto, Gerard, et al. Gerard Zuchetto chante Les Troubadours XXIe
                                et XXIe siecles. 1998 VDE-Gallo, CD-529

                                Decent budget discs:

                                Ensemble Unicorn & Ensemble Oni Wytars, Carmina Burana. 2002, Naxos
                                8.554837

                                Estampie, Under the Greenwood Tree. Naxos 8.553442 (Music from the
                                11th through 17th centuries with loose associations with the Robin
                                Hood legends).

                                Oxford Camerata, Let Voices Resound: Songs from Piae Cantiones (1582).
                                1998, Naxos 8.553578

                                Oxford Camerata, Medieval Carols. 1992 Naxos 8.550751

                                Rickards, Steven & Linell, Dorothy, Dowland: Flow My Tears And Other
                                Lute Songs. 1995, Naxos 8.553381

                                Scholars of London, French Chansons. 1994, Naxos 8.550880

                                Various artists Century Classics II: 1400-1500. DHM 0547 77601 2

                                Various artists, Greatest Hits – Chant. 1994, Sony Classical MLK 66 705

                                Cheers,
                                Jehanne de Wodeford
                                West Kingdom
                              • Lisa Harmon
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 25, 2007
                                  You've tried monthly- have you looked at other time frames for gathering? Bimonthly, quarterly,  semi-yearly might be better- and to plan not just a jam session. Maybe a Pa-Jam-Ma session if the group is small enough- a sleep over weekend once a quarter? Various arts can be highlighted for a single session or a pot-poor-ree to introduce them to people just starting out. Our Brewers Guild has its kingdom meetings about once a quarter-ish and that works well since they also schedule their required classes for the same time.

                                  Caid has swap sessions where a little teaching a lot of sharing of material goes on. They are generally monthly and people tend to go to the ones closest to them, plus two general Collegiums with bardic tracks plus a yearly Bardic collegium.

                                  It also has a lot of wars where different kinds of teaching and showcasing of performances goes on. Caid also has a guild email list where sharing of resourses and news goes on. It's nicely active. It helps individual members get togethter and I think some of them have done things privately through various media. It's largely music.

                                  And for those like me who prefers to perform in the writers garret, the kingdom has several outlets for poetry and other scribbling- praise poems for all the crown tourney fighters, for example, plus the newsletters.

                                  Learning to read music isn't really all that hard for a vocalist. A basic keyboard is also pretty easy, especially when you mark the keys- all you need is one good finger to play the part. I remember the public school system used a fake keyboard in addition to teaching the notation in the Wood County WVa system when I was a kid- or maybe that was just the teacher I had? They had a very pro-active music program in the 70's.  Every Good Boy Does Fine, you know. In high school, the vocal teacher also taught the hand signal method for music to help associate the note with the tone. I have that on my computer if you need the websight. If you are familiar with CLose ENcounters the movie, it is used in it. alais

                                  Steven Fuller <dirtysteve23@...> wrote:
                                  So I would have two questions then: The first, how would we go about
                                  organizing and getting something together to increase the bardic
                                  activity in our particular location, seeing as how most of the bards in
                                  our Kingdom who know enough to teach are too far away?

                                • Christine Taylor
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 25, 2007
                                    Thank you so much for these references. I'm more an actress than a singer
                                    but I do both, and I'm happy to know these sources.

                                    Caitlin

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 26, 2007
                                      That good gentle just joined the AEbards list and his name is THL Kaji Katana.  I have had the pleasure of working with him on the ren faire circuit when I did the Endless Mountains Medieval Festival 2 years ago.  I absolutely LOVE Empty Hats.

                                      Dearbhforgaill

[...]

                                      Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                                    • Deborah Geary
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 26, 2007
                                        Also, if you happen to live in an area with a music school, you can usually get lots of information at the college library (many universities and colleges will issue visitor library cards so you can take materials out).

                                        Dearbhforgaill

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 26, 2007
                                          FWIW, I have my extended coaching class notes up on the web. Have a look at
                                          these two pages:

                                          http://www.pavellelaw.com/storytelling101.html
                                          and
                                          http://www.pavellelaw.com/storytelling201.html

                                          YIS,

                                          Brion Enkazi, Aethelmearc
                                        • Shivaun McGoff
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 26, 2007
                                            The guy playing fiddle for Empty Hats is in the SCA? I adore them too,
                                            try to catch them at least once every time I'm at the PA Ren Faire.
                                            Awesome, we have our selves a celYEBrity!

                                            Siobhan

                                            Deborah Geary wrote:

                                            > That good gentle just joined the AEbards list and his name is THL Kaji
                                            > Katana. I have had the pleasure of working with him on the ren faire
                                            > circuit when I did the Endless Mountains Medieval Festival 2 years
                                            > ago. I absolutely LOVE Empty Hats.
                                            >
                                            > Dearbhforgaill

                                          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 4, 2007
                                              Look at his name again. THL?? Kaji was raised to the high order of merit as
                                              a Companion of the White Horn for serving as Æthelmearcs' Kingdom Thrown
                                              Weapon Marshall for quite a few years. He used to have a recording studio in
                                              his basement at the farm south of Watsontown.

                                              Brad

                                              Subject: Re: [SCA_BARDS] neato occurance