Re: Greetings, and a question or two....Fyrecrawling 101

  • Emma Westbrook
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2006
      Oooooh, sign me up!! I could definitely use some feedback and would
      love to participate. I will be at Estrella.

      Regards,

      Emma Westbrook
      West Kingdom

      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "dancesin_moonlight"
      <truethomas@...> wrote:

      > (reposted)
      > First some background....
      > At various wars,(especially Estrella)I've been teaching a class
      > called Fyrecrawling 101. The concept is to provide potential bards
      > with a way to get some experience and guidance, and to get their
      feet
      > wet.
      >
      > It is a two part class, one with folks attending a class on how
      > to "fyrecrawl" (being a wandering performer)where we do examples,
      > practice, have hand outs, etc. (voice, physicality, etc.)
      >
      > The second part is practical- I find 5 or 6 encampments, and ask
      them
      > if they would be willing to host a class in the evening. Then that
      > evening, the students, myself, and any experienced bards I can
      find,
      > go to the camps, and they perform. It's not as scary as walking
      into
      > a camp cold. Then I ask the audience to offer only things that
      they
      > liked about the performer (no critiques or suggestions), and then
      > take the performer off stage, and I offer suggestions, etc. {I
      want
      > the performer to get the strokes, but Coaching is a delicate
      thing,
      > especially with a newby bard} I can only say, I've been absolutely
      > amazed at the insightfulness of the audiences, and how supportive
      > they've been.
      > I tell the bards and the audience alike, that if the performer is
      not
      > working out, I may stop the performance. (It's happened a few
      times.}
      > This is my way of honoring the audience, and keeping the momentum
      > going.
      > Then at the next camp, we start again. I can say that we've had
      some
      > absolutely great classes, and I watched some folks who I had to
      give
      > the hook to, by the 5th fire, walked away with the show ;)
      > I've been extremely honored to have some of the "pro's" join us-
      and
      > when they do, I will sometimes break the fourth wall, and point
      out
      > to the students, some of the subtle things that the good
      performers
      > do- that make it look so natural, but come from much experience
      > (where they position themselves, how they work the audience, keep
      the
      > banter going, project, etc. etc.)
      > Whew...it takes a while to describe this class!
      > Annywaaay. I have run these classes, and am considering running
      > another one at Estrella.
      > -Should I?
      > -Who would be interested in joining me, either as a student or as
      > co-instructor/example?
      > -Has anybody here been through the class, and what feedback would
      you
> [...]
    • dancesin_moonlight
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
        Oh, Lord Efenwealt, it was absolutely my joy to have you show up, and
        be a part of the class. If you do come to Estrella, I would like to
        talk to you about being in the concerts, and Open Arms Bardic Hall,
        and a host of other things. Your rep and talent definetly precede you!

        Btw, it just takes a bit of legwork to secure groups. You contact
        them during the day, and see if they can spare a half hour or so.
        Explain the groundrules when you show up with your crowd. The main
        thing, is you want the households to be fairly close together, so you
        can get at least 3 or 4 camps under your belt. I have the students
        practice hailing the camp, introducing themselves, etc. as well.
        (I also do this for folks who want to go fyrecrawling and want some
        guidance. I dub them evil minions, and we go forth)

        Just FYI, Efenwealt, Rathflaed (aka the Black Bard, the guy with the
        Hat,etc.) and two other worthies showed up, just as I was teaching
        the practical class. It was a delight to have them jump in when we
        lost some momentum (because the audience comes first.)And then they
        were very nice about letting me point out things that they did, and
        asking them why they did what they did. I think the audience was
        amazed at the amount of subtle and practical things that are
        calculated before we hold forth.
      • Stephen R. Melvin
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2006
          Suggest working together with Melandra on that one.  She's down that way and usually has a pretty good handle on what's going on down there.

          -Rathflaed