Possible short song for a Pelican award

  • John B
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2006
      Oh, my lords! Oh, fair ladies!
      I pray your notice upon my poor voice
      You have before you one worthy of notice
      One who has done us all great service

      Here, before you, waits so patient
      A (lord/lady) so noble, so pure and so true
      One we honor with scroll and with Pelican
      One asking for nothing but more yet to do!

      I pray, ye nobles, stand ye and laud them!
      This humble noble, this one raised up high!
      This living drop of our Dream's pure life-blood
      One to follow with deed and with cry!

      Hail the Pelican! Thanks for thy service!
      Hail the Pelican! Thanks for thy stay!
      Hail the Pelican! Thrice we hail thee
      You whose toil has brought us this day!

      -John of Coppertree
    • Jeff Suzuki
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2006
        To the tune of...?

        --- John B <discwuzit@...> wrote:

        > Oh, my lords! Oh, fair ladies!
        > I pray your notice upon my poor voice
        > You have before you one worthy of notice
        > One who has done us all great service
        >
        > Here, before you, waits so patient
        > A (lord/lady) so noble, so pure and so true
        > One we honor with scroll and with Pelican
        > One asking for nothing but more yet to do!
        >
        > I pray, ye nobles, stand ye and laud them!
        > This humble noble, this one raised up high!
        > This living drop of our Dream's pure life-blood
        > One to follow with deed and with cry!
        >
        > Hail the Pelican! Thanks for thy service!
        > Hail the Pelican! Thanks for thy stay!
        > Hail the Pelican! Thrice we hail thee
        > You whose toil has brought us this day!
        >

        > -John of Coppertree

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • John B
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2006
          Um... *wry grin* You would hit that.

          I can 'hear' the tune, 4 beats per line, works out to about 80 beats
          per minute, with what I can only call a 'lilting' melody.

          As far as I know it's not a period tune, but my memory has been known
          to fool me before. Unfortunately, I am not at all adept at writing
          music, and would need to sing it.

          -John

        • ladysiobhan@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2006
            If you want to shoot me a private email John, I can call you and you can sing it to me over the phone so I can write it down.

            Siobhan

            --
            When the law's against you, argue the facts. When the facts are against you, argue the law. When both are against you, shout like hell. And when your voice goes out.. try bribery.

            From: "John B" <discwuzit@...>
            > Um... *wry grin* You would hit that.
            >
            > I can 'hear' the tune, 4 beats per line, works out to about 80 beats
            > per minute, with what I can only call a 'lilting' melody.
            >
            > As far as I know it's not a period tune, but my memory has been known
            > to fool me before. Unfortunately, I am not at all adept at writing
            > music, and would need to sing it.
            >
            > -John
            >
            > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Suzuki <jeff_suzuki@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > To the tune of...?
            > >
            > > --- John B <discwuzit@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Oh, my lords! Oh, fair ladies!
            > > > I pray your notice upon my poor voice
            > > > You have before you one worthy of notice
            > > > One who has done us all great service
            > > >
            > > > Here, before you, waits so patient
            > > > A (lord/lady) so noble, so pure and so true
            > > > One we honor with scroll and with Pelican
            > > > One asking for nothing but more yet to do!
            > > >
            > > > I pray, ye nobles, stand ye and laud them!
            > > > This humble noble, this one raised up high!
            > > > This living drop of our Dream's pure life-blood
            > > > One to follow with deed and with cry!
            > > >
            > > > Hail the Pelican! Thanks for thy service!
            > > > Hail the Pelican! Thanks for thy stay!
            > > > Hail the Pelican! Thrice we hail thee
            > > > You whose toil has brought us this day!
            > > >
            > > > -John of Coppertree

          • John B
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2006
              --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, ladysiobhan@... wrote:

              > If you want to shoot me a private email John, I can call you and
              > you can sing it to me over the phone so I can write it down.

              Greatly appreciated! Will do so!

              On further reflection on this in the shower this morning
              (my 'thinking room'), it has similarities to March of Cambreath - a
              repeating pattern of two phrases on a line followed by a line with a
              single phrase. Along the lines of the lyric,

              "Midnight mare - and blood-red roan,
              Fight to keep this land your own"
              (emphasis added)

              It's not a 1:1 match, by any means, but I suspect I was rather
              strongly influenced by it. *wry grin*

              -John