Re: [SCA_BARDS] Filking question

  • Kimberly Sargen
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 29, 2006
      On 08/29/2006 11:53 AM, "Jeff Suzuki" <jeff_suzuki@...> wrote:

      > -- John B <discwuzit@... <mailto:discwuzit%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
      >
      >> This being a (*grin* reasonably) respectible
      >> arts&sciences type of
      >> place, I'm reluctant to post filk stuff here.
      >> However, was wondering if
      >> there were reccommendations from the wise and
      >> wonderous people
      >> populating this popular 'place' as to an appropriate
      >> venue for such non-
      >> period arts?
      >
      > It seems that you're operating under the assumption
      > filk is non-period...
      >
      > The *word* filk is non-period. But the practice of
      > writing new words to old songs is definitely period;
      > the technical term is "contrafaction" and the product
      > is a "contrafact."
      >
      > My own viewpoint: the tune is identifiable over a
      > greater distance than the lyrics. So if you're going
      > to filk, begin with a period or at least perioid tune.
      > Filks to modern music are as distracting at events as
      > cell phones and flash photography, for roughly the
      > same reasons: they're impossible to ignore.
      >
      > (If you're interested in some period music to write
      > filk *to*, I've put some midi files online at
      > http://www.geocities.com/jeff_suzuki/periodmusic.htm)
      >
      > Jeffs/etc.

      On the other hand -

      We have an event in the West each year called Ducal Prize. It's both an SCA
      event (of sorts) and a fundraiser for the Kingdom Historical Trust, Inc.
      which is another nonprofit attempting to buy land for a permanent camping
      site for events for the SCA and other entities. There is a filk contest
      each year, which allows for all the things we normally avoid at SCA events.
      Makes for fun and mayhem. His Grace, Duke Flieg, can certainly say more to
      this, but I, for one, am not opposed to filking modern tunes, provided it's
      done in the proper SCA setting, such as Ducal... And, occasionally, that
      jolt out of the current middle ages is one we need...

      8)
      Veronica
      (who sang a rather silly filk to cheer her queen when her pavilion got a
      giant tear in it... To good effect - It was NOT a "public" performance, and
      it served its purpose - to distract the queen in question from more
      distressing matters)
    • Ruth Carrillo-Hernandez
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 20, 2006
        Greetings!

        No, but I wasn't worried. Thank you for asking!

        Ana

        http://mail.yahoo.com