Re: Born on the list field

  • Andrea
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
      The longer i'm in the SCA, the more I note how absolutely helpful
      everyone is. I'm so glad i've found the SCA, and i'm also proud to
      be a part of the bardic community within the SCA.

      Thanks to all of you for your posts and for all of the help (i've
      learned much lurking on this site!). I've been wanting to learn this
      song for over a year, since I first heard it at a bardic circle. I
      am going to pass it along to my surrounding shires, but i'm going to
      make them learn it as Master Ivar wanted, in the oral tradition.
      Because i'm just mean like that. *smirk*

      Yours in service,
      Niniane de Azure of the Midrealm

      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul DeLisle" <ferret@...> wrote:

      > While I haven't seen Ivar in years...I *did* hear (also
      apocryphally, but
      > from reasonably reliable sources) that he would allow it to be
      written down,
      > but that he would *prefer* (note that this is the author's *wish*,
      not some
      > kind of command) that it be learned or taught in the oral tradition.
      >
      > However, Good Gentles, If you are going to learn this piece, you
      should also
      > learn the story behind it.
      >
      > So sit back and fill your mugs, because Uncle Alden's Gonna Tell a
      Story.

      > Once upon a time, deep in the mists of History (some quarter-
      century or-so
      > ago ), there lived in the fair Kingdom of Ansteorra, a Master of
      Arms, named
      > Ivar Battleskald. Now remember, good gentles, that MoA's are
      accorded to
      > have the skill, prowess and duties of Knighthood, save that they do
      not
      > swear fealty to the Crown (usually for religious reasons, but
      sometimes
      > personal.)
      >
      > One fine day, at an Interkingdom War, Master Ivar came upon a group
      of
      > out-of-Kingdom Knights (...decorum prohibits me from saying which
      one); who
      > were discussing the meaning of Fealty.
      > Ivar joined the group, and listened carefully for awhile. At one
      point, he
      > spoke up, and ventured an opinion. The Knights (to a man) looked
      down their
      > noses at him, and one said: "What would *you* know of Fealty?
      You're just a
      > Master of Arms!"
      > Ivar nodded, and quietly left the group. He retired to his tent, and
      > proceeded to write "Born On The List Field" in one sitting; which he
      > performed that evening in Court.
      >
      > No-one ever questioned his understanding of Fealty again.
      >

      > In Service, I remain
      > Alden Pharamond
      > Tir Medoin, Ansteorra

    • KaziBrionSCA
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
        Greetings, gentles!

        Would the kind lord or lady organizing the Aethelmearc Bardic Circle kindly contact me?  The Royal Bard of the East wishes to contact them regarding some Pennsic logistics.

        Thank you,

        Kazi
        Former Sylvan Bard