Re: [SCA_BARDS] Bardic responsibilities

  • sunshinegirl
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 20, 2001
      From: Taliesin Earthstar <taliesin_o@...>

      > Hi, Melandra
      >
      > Whew, you ask the toughies!

      Thank you. I hope to encourage thinking about such things...

      > Most of the people
      > we have in this area are wonderfully talented musicians and
      entertainers --
      > most of whom can beat me absolutely hollow with one vocal cord tied behind
      > their back <g>.

      What area are you in?

      Melandra
    • Liam Devlin
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 24, 2001
        > A statement I must make, Lord Devlin,
        >
        > Jongleurs, troubadors, minstrels, and trouveres, also give. Since i am
        > sure that you would not dispariage another path, I bring this up as a
        > clarification of an important point -- not as a correction, but as a
        > clarification, lest your remarks might be accidently twisted from your
        > meaning.

        ~ Thou art correct milord. I do not demean those who have chosen a
        different path, such was not my intent. No one road leads to wisdom.
        Humanity has proven that at least historically, though the concepts that
        allow the individual t reach enlightenment remain fairly consistent. WE (in
        the SCA) are as diverse as are the paths we have spoken of these many days.

        > You are quite correct that these are not Bards -- nor should they be.
        > Theirs is certainly not a lesser path, for very often those who
        > concentrate on performance may be equal -- or even better -- to those who
        > are bards.

        ~Agreed, I am my worst critic in that regard.

        > As a Bard, I am a bit of a generalist -- I study not only the history of
        > my chosen time period, but also the history of my SCA Kingdom; I study
        > the laws of the Principality of Gwynedd, and the Kingdom of Atlantia; I
        > learn the music of the Goliards, and modern styles as well. And I know --
        > full well -- that my performance of any one thing suffers from learning
        > so many things. But a performer can concentrate to a much higher degree
        > on their chosen art.
        >
        > Theirs is a different path -- but no less honorable, and to some degree
        > more difficult than ours.

        ~Verily, thou art correct in that. watching one with an instrument
        mesmerizes me to no end.

        Ld Liam Devlin
        "Ne desit Virtus"