Re: [SCA_BARDS] satire

  • Lisa Harmon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
      Thanks to all who responded with suggestions.

      Msser Toki,
      It is mainly an excercise in expunging certain emotions I have been holding in check for the last 16 months. It is designed to keep me from going postal at work. I could be bald about it, but what's the fun in that?

      alais

    • mlaf
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2 8:51 PM
        From: "Michael Dixon" <mdixon1@...>

        > Are you sure that satire disguised as praise is really what you wish to
        do?

        > Toki

        Why not? It is period, after all....

        Melandra, very briefly dropping by....
      • Jeff Suzuki
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5 9:26 AM
          I agree with the sentiment.

          Besides, it's an interesting exercise in creativity,
          and the bottom line is the more creative work you do,
          the better your work will be. (Jeff's Corollary to
          Sturgeon's Law: If 90% of everything is crap, then to
          produce great work, produce a lot of work.)

          Jeffs/William

          --- Lisa Harmon <asilnomrah@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to all who responded with suggestions.
          >
          > Msser Toki,
          > It is mainly an excercise in expunging certain
          > emotions I have been holding in check for the last
          > 16 months. It is designed to keep me from going
          > postal at work. I could be bald about it, but what's
          > the fun in that?
          >
          > alais

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Lisa Harmon
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5 1:45 PM
            When I was young and green, I wrote endlessly. Incessently. Horridly. Poems, stories, skits, plays. They call it juvenilia for a reason.

            I took Radio TV at Ohio U and learned commercial scripting. Tell a story in 30 seconds with and without visual aids all to impart such and such information. I still wrote endlessly, incessently, horridly.....but  with a little less rambling. After two years, I went for English at a small SE Ohio college. And there I learned of the form which Joanne the instructor called 'pastiche'. I took translated lines from Sappho and formed them into a new whole. I wrote more over the years based on the works of such people as Jim Steinman. Sting. All personal excersises, of course. And I started filking a bit mroe seriously- mainly Broadway shows, but nothing was truly safe.

            And I started writing less. Less in volumne and less in words and less in puncutation. A sort of Hemmingway approach _without_ actually reading lots of Hemmingway.  It's still fairly horrid, but it's less horrid than when the output was larger.

            I think it was because the focus of working changed. And I got older and more life-experienced first hand about some of the subjects I wrote about. (And even young I wasn't limited to soppy love doggerels- drug use {note: not used by me}, loss of family, haiku praise poems, satire.) I had less time to write and so wanted to make the most. And by using the works of others in the personal excersises, I learned about their style. I learned more about styles perioid. And once in a while, I'll share and once in while of that, I get requests for copies or permission to use.

            Even today, when I approach a poetic form, I use one or two as examples for 'boning up'. Except for Haiku. I find working over another's work, or a selections of a particular style to be a good way to learn the style or to retune to the ryhtmns of that style.

            If I had to actually teach someone, I would use this method to help another learn from his or her personal favorites, from classic writers, and from established styles for sure. I have a couple of times, in fact. One turned out to be a doctor. Hrmmm.... Go figure.

            alais