Re: Pirate Songs

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <drew@d...> wrote:
      > You're running into that grey area that's the overlap of songs that
      people
      > like to sing, and songs that are period appropriate.

      It's got a date in it. That makes it the aural equivalent of walking
      around the event in modern clothing swilling Bud from a can.

      Sorry if that sounds snarky. It IS snarky. I've been suffering from a
      major case of the why-do-I-bothers lately.

      Jehanne de Wodeford
    • hatshepsut42@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
        AOL Email
        Hello all,  Nzingha, The Moor Of Dundee here....I'm in Dallas, Texas aka Barony Of The Steppes, Ansteorra, and a Renaissance Faire Bard.  Please check out one of my original Pirate Songs, "The Rogue Of Dundee" you can download it from www.chivalry.com  It has a wonderful easy refrain that people and pirate lovers can join in on.
        There are also lots of other songs to choose and download there.  Also my favorite Pirate Singing groupd can be reached at www.corsairs.com
        Leza Mesiah aka
        Nzingha, The Moor Of Dundee

      • Mathurin Kerbusso
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2006
          wodeford wrote:

          > It's got a date in it. That makes it the aural equivalent of walking
          > around the event in modern clothing swilling Bud from a can.

          So change the date. And a couple of place names. Problem solved.

          Wasn't that so much easier than breeding snarks? :)

          Mathurin
        • tim jennings
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2006
            I kinda disagree - but mostly because I think you are overstating it.

            I think it makes it the aural equivalent of wearing a modern kilt and
            swilling bud from a leather jack. It's an attempt to avoid being
            blatantly modern...but it doesn't make it to period by a long shot.

            Since the SCA requires only an 'attempt' (albeit this is for costume, I
            think it holds true otherwise)...I will happily concede it misses the
            mark, but I don't find it jars me out of my happy place any more than
            Roman era stuff does or people wearing 17th century samurai armour or
            doing Haiku or the more modern types (see: English) Villanelle at a
            circle...since they are all from the same OOP century anyway...

            I find all of this fine. My mood gets broken by the Moose song and
            running shoes. Save 'em for the post rev. At events I like my middle age
            fantasy to be mostly intact :)

            My two bits
            Garraed

            Tim Jennings, Managing Director
            Roseneath Theatre
            +1 519 787 2399
            www.roseneath.ca

            > You're running into that grey area that's the overlap of songs that
            people
            > like to sing, and songs that are period appropriate.

            It's got a date in it. That makes it the aural equivalent of walking
            around the event in modern clothing swilling Bud from a can.

            Sorry if that sounds snarky. It IS snarky. I've been suffering from a
            major case of the why-do-I-bothers lately.

            Jehanne de Wodeford

            Subscribe: SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links