MP3 encoders?

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
      So, who has a good inexpensive (or free) MP3 encoder they can recommend?
      I'm tired of uploading .wav files to the internet for people to listen to...

      Thanks!

      purple
      --
      What is best? Is there a couch softer than weariness? A better sauce than
      appetite? (Keith Laumer)

      It was always the journey.
      It will always be the journey.
      I know nothing but the journey.

      - RLP
    • Greg Lindahl
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
        > So, who has a good inexpensive (or free) MP3 encoder they can recommend?
        > I'm tired of uploading .wav files to the internet for people to listen to...

        I use 2, LAME on Linux, and the one bundled with iTunes on the Mac.

        -- Gregory
      • Drew
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
          iTunes! R0XX0R!!!

          Thanks, Gregory!

          purple
          --
          What is best? Is there a couch softer than weariness? A better sauce than
          appetite? (Keith Laumer)

          It was always the journey.
          It will always be the journey.
          I know nothing but the journey.

          - RLP

        • Frederick J. Hollander
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
            Flieg here --

            I use a version of Lame that I downloaded. Works on my Win98, just
            drag the .wav file to the icon and watch the mp3 appear as if by magic.

            Drew wrote:
            > So, who has a good inexpensive (or free) MP3 encoder they can recommend?
            > I'm tired of uploading .wav files to the internet for people to listen to...

            The first time I posted an mp3 file to my website I got a "reminder"
            from my IT officer about the badness of sharing copyright mp3's. I laughed.

            --
            & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
            ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
              ummm...sorry, but isn't Microsoft Media Player an MP3 encoder?

              You have to actually choose to make them into MP3's other then .wmv or whatever windows media files are. It's in the options.

              Gyric

              Drew <drew@...> wrote:
              So, who has a good inexpensive (or free) MP3 encoder they can recommend?
              I'm tired of uploading .wav files to the internet for people to listen to...

              Thanks!

              purple
              --
              What is best?  Is there a couch softer than weariness?  A better sauce than
              appetite?  (Keith Laumer)

              It was always the journey.
              It will always be the journey.
              I know nothing but the journey.

              - RLP

              Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
              Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around nice guy

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • mathurin@forgottensea.org
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
                > Drew <drew@...> wrote: So, who has a good inexpensive
                > (or free) MP3 encoder they can recommend?
                > I'm tired of uploading .wav files to the internet for people to listen
                > to...

                Audacity, with the optional LAME Encoder library. This is also a decent
                multi-track recording software and a WAV/MP3/OGG editor. And it comes in
                Windows/Mac/Linux flavors. And it is free.

                http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

                Mathurin
              • Drew
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
                  I was under the impression that WMP10 doesn't have the MP3 option.

                  --

                • Drew
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
                    And I'm at least partially wrong -- I can rip CDs to MP3. I'm not sure,
                    however, how to convert existing .wav files on my computer to MP3.