More A&S Songs

  • Andrea
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2005
      Greetings Everyone! Now, I love the bloody battle songs as much as
      the next, but c'mon now, enough is enough...so i'm always on the
      lookout for songs praising A&S efforts. There is a TERRIFIC song
      called The Weaver Song, another upbeat little ditty (you can find
      the tune on Cantaria.com, or call me and i'll sing it for you, its a
      simple tune) ... There seemed to be such enthusiasm about the A&S
      Fight Song I posted, I thought i'd direct your attention to this
      song as well.

      Niniane de Riviere

      This song was very popular in Forfarshire and other centres of the
      handloom weaving industry. The author was a Forfar weaver, David
      Shaw. He died in Forfar in 1856.

      The Weaver Song

      Well we're all knit together here to sit and to crack,
      With our glasses in our hands and their work upon our backs,
      There's nae a trade among us that can either mend or make
      If it was not for the work of the weavers.

      Chorus:
      If it wasnae for the weavers what would we do?
      We wouldnae have cloth that was made of wool
      We wouldnae have a cloak of the black nor the blue
      If it wasnae for the work of the weavers.

      There's folks that's independent of other people's work,
      For women need no barbers and dykers need no clerks,
      But none o' them can do without a cloak or a shirt,
      We all need the work of the weavers.

      Chorus

      Our soldiers and our sailors, we know that they are bold,
      But if they had no clothes, they couldnae fight for cold,
      The high an' low, the rich an' poor - all bodies, young and old,
      They all need the work of the weavers.

      Chorus

      Now weaving is a trade that can never yet can fail,
      As long as we need clothes for to keep our bodies hale
      So let us raise our glasses with a bicker of good ale
      And drink to the health of the weavers.

      Chorus
    • Marcus Antaya
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2005
        Without hearing the tune, I'm immediately minded of "The Wellington Boot Song" performed by Billy Connelly (If you don't know who he is, run, and I mean RUN to your local video store and check the stand up comedy section...he's hysterically funny.

        Gyric

        Andrea <Andrea.Lutz@...> wrote:
[...]

        Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
        Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around nice guy

      • tim jennings
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2005

          It’s a pretty well known tune. Andy M Stewart does a nice version

          Tim/Garraed

          Tim Jennings, Managing Director

          Roseneath Theatre

          +1 519 787 2399