RE: [SCA_BARDS] Master Bardic Class at Estrella War

  • KaziBrionSCA
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2005
      Having been in and helped to run a few of these, I'd like to make some suggestions.  At the risk of preaching to my betters, it's been my experience that the class will work better if:

      1 - You assign a fixed amount of time for each performer, say 10 or 15 minutes.  Longer pieces get less feedback, shorter ones get more, extra time can be used at the end to revisit.  This avoids arbitrary length rules.  You can figure out the time at the beginning by dividing the "coaching" portion of the class (a half?  More?  Less?) by the number of participants.

      2 - People should bring either a piece they've got nailed (in which case you're getting critique that focuses on the performance technique rather than the piece), OR a piece that's "not quite right" (in which case the class will likely focus on the material more than the presentation).  Pieces that are really raw should be welcome, but people should be warned they won't get as much out of it.

      3 - Establish a STRONG guide in favor of telling people the things they're doing right as well as what needs improvement.  The critical parts will be received that much better, and besides - it's often harder to know what's going well than to see the things that are not.  And it's even harder for the audience.

      4 - Run the darned thing like a popular general; meaning, you want to encourage participation from all fronts but you want to keep enough control to make sure the class moves along.  Nothing bogs a coaching class down faster than a debate among the people off-stage.  (Guilty).

      Gotta run everyone,

      Brion