Re: [SCA_BARDS] help! - word help + comments appreciated!

  • Sabine
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
      --- SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > I seem to remember the word and spelling "quirl" - as a cocked arrow
      > or bolt

      What you want is actually "quarrel" -- I know, spelled the same as an
      argument, but there you have it. Amusingly, the first two online
      dictionary entries I found both said "Not in use except in poetry." My
      actual book-form dictionary dates the usage to the 13th c., although
      without documentation (sorry, no OED handy!).

      -Sabine

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • jenny tavernier
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
        see below!

        Sabine <SabineKdL@...> wrote:
        --- SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > I seem to remember the word and spelling "quirl" - as a cocked arrow
        > or bolt

        What you want is actually "quarrel" -- I know, spelled the same as an
        argument, but there you have it. Amusingly, the first two online
        dictionary entries I found both said "Not in use except in poetry." My
        actual book-form dictionary dates the usage to the 13th c., although
        without documentation (sorry, no OED handy!).

             -Sabine

        Sabine! Thank you for looking! Here's what I found - (by the way - I know quarrels in archery - yet did not know (or think of"4 sided" re bolt heads/tips -

        Now - here is why I am stuck on quirl. My granda - (scandi AS, welsh through england - shot archery, as well as of a bardic line -

        It was he, and me mum, who used the word quirl/quirled (quirelled?) to speak of a "cocked" arrow - tensioned and ready to fly -

        Here's something I was able to dig up - once I went to the UK:

        child 14

        Babylon or
        The Bonnie Banks o Fordie
        2: Banks of Airdrie
        He catched the eldest sister all by the hand,
        He gave her a quirl for to make her stand;
        He gave her a quirl for to make her stand,
        On the dewry dewry banks o' Airdrie O.

        (however, in reading, it mentions penknife; stabbing with a twisting motion)

        Rösle Quirl Whisk (again, a wound up (spireled whisk as opposed to the usual ones that look like long vertocal oval wires)

        Quirl is an entertaining shape matching puzzle game for all ages of the family ... (well, OK)

        1 definition found From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]: Quirl \Quirl\, n. & v. See {Querl}.

        wind. wound whirl.querl See ... Q DSL - SND1 QUIRL, n. Variant of Eng. curl. Cf. . Used fig.

        v.Alt.spelling querl wound bolt

        Definition:

        \Querl querlen >, quirlen /quirled>, to twirl </dictionary/twirl>, to turn /turn>tightly wound

        round , fr > querl</dictionary/a> twirling </dictionary/twirling> stick Cf </dictionary/cf>. {Twirl

        To twirl /twirl>; to turn or wind to coil </dictionary/coil>; as </dictionary/as>, to </dictionary/to> querl Ow alt. quirl

        v. to cord or tightly twist thread or rope

        \Querl:quirl;qwerl,gwirl v. to coil, wind</dictionary/n>.twirl

        Water Quirl (horse's name/england)

        Boomerang twist/winding throws... compared to normal ranges. Challenger types often have about 80 degrees lay over and a low aim - maybe even downwards. Quirl, Buzzwhip types are thrown laid over even more - e.g. 88 degrees, but are thrown higher - 20 to 30 degrees above the horizon and nearly straight into the oncoming wind

        so there does seem to be a bit of winding/ high tension winding - but it seems to be a varient usage - (at least that is where I heard it -  - I like the poetry part - (hey! poetic license - but oh it it rhymes nicer with world, than querled or quar'led (eh? you say) There's a whole bunch in german - but my head gave out after about two hours - ) (also new usage of gueer+girl)

        Jen!

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Randy Colby
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, jenny tavernier
          <lyricdancer88@y...> wrote:
          > All right - I'm stumped -
          The correct word is "quarrel" Just remember. Crossbows don't kill
          people, quarrels kill people.
          I do like the poem.

          Colb'an the Lutemaker

          > I recently viewed a bardic circle sitter at Highlands war - and was
          struck by the easy silent sitting of a lord - nary a muscle moved -
          yet life sparked about him

          > I wrote this tumbling from my head - (still rough)
          > and yet here's the question:
          >
          > I seem to remember the word and spelling "quirl" - as a cocked
          arrow or bolt

          > not querl - (which would work - or quarrel - which I am familier
          with also)

          > I know it's not quire -(manu. use) quirrel shows up - but no
          definition located-

          > can anyone untangle this for me - or has anyone ever seen it?
          >
          > I know it as a very definite word, with a very definite
          connotation. Why???
          > It is driving me nuts!
          >
          > Here in context: (sorry yahoo puts this in wierd doublespace) -
          (I'd like to fix that, too!)

          > in silence when I looked upon a face
          >
          > just curved beyond the light from fire's flare
          >
          > i saw a landscape carved and soft in turn
          >
          > and shadows dancing hiding in his hair
          >
          > each mote of light in smiled lines to view
          >
          > in thoughtful glance bent on a silent star
          >
          > each quiet breath caused ripples in a sea
          >
          > of midnight cloak that traveled oceans far
          >
          > that luminosity of private thought
          >
          > so rich in depth in searching of his dreams
          >
          > and in that moment stunned i knew without
          >
          > he traversed paths that few had ever seen
          >
          > there in that darkened moment hooding eyes
          >
          > yet bright with all the universe withen
          >
          > the soul of one who lives beyond a star
          >
          > who others, seeing, think he simple kin (still playing with this)
          >
          > oh quiet wanderer amongst the night
          >
          > who much esteemed and loved by all who view
          >
          > brings secrets to the fire at evening's light
          >
          > an otherglow that radiates to few
          >
          > and in this quise about your life you go
          >
          > poised fleet in touching life as crossbow quirled **
          >
          > and those who tread behind in earthen steps
          >
          > might sense that something passed not of this world
          >

          > Jen! Thanks for any help or comments -
          > bard of the picklebowl
          >

          > ---------------------------------
        • jenny tavernier
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
            Over on the Aten list(az) there has recently been some discussion and forwarded details - and not only to find out that my best first lady friend is wearing a yellow belt -

            I remember that there was discussion here of choice - ,do you need -if you chose) and thought I'd send this on - (aside from it is grist for a bardic lay) it's a bit long - but in having observed one 1st hand - (a pel and her protoge) At highlands war -
            should one choose to go this route - it was rather a magical and touching and amazing interplay
            jen-
            Posted with permission by the author.

            A discussion on the Protonet egroup asking about those who are on the list who are not in a Peer/Student relationship.

            This is an extremely touching missive in reflection to how important and meaningful a student/Peer relationship can be.

            To inspiration: