So what am I going to do about it? Re: Questions answered

  • vdriscoll
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
      *offers a huge hug*

      I understand.

      It's more of a "I don't have time to apprentice myself to anyone"
      problem for me. (I am in graduate school and about to become a teacher
      for the first time. I'm in overload).

      Rauri (I spelled that SO wrong) is in MD, right?
      Bryce is here in Richmond, VA
      Effenwealt is in the Raleigh, NC area
      Julitta is somewhere south in the NC area (i think)

      Are there any other Bardic Laurels in Atlantia?
      and which area are you in?

      -Signora Simona dell'Amore
      Barony of Caer Mear
      Kingdom of Atlantia

      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Anjuli <anjuli@a...> wrote:
      > I've been looking for a laurel to apprentice to for years -- not that I
      > ever expect a laurel myself, but I'd just like to improve my
      performance
      > and my repertoire -- but out here in the far northwestern corner of
      > Atlantia there isn't a laurel to be had. So what's a lady to do...?
    • Zukauskas
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
        Performance Laurels are as rare a hen's teeth, I think...not too many of us down here in Trimaris either.  What you are doing to learn is what I did to learn (studying music in college was also helpful).

        Marie
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
          No, I did not pay Cirocco to say that about me...she must have been drinking.

          We are helped in this Kingdom that may of our past Kings and our current King perform themselves, and many past Queens actively support performance (such as always attending Laureate competitions).  King Baldar is the moving force behind our newest Kingdom CD that is currently in production.  Our upcoming Kingdom 20th year anniversary has prefeast entertainment as part of the schedule.  We always have Bardics listed on our event schedules for Kingdom events.  Our Crowns and Baronial nobles will often call for entertainment during lulls in Court.  We have Hall Stewards who recruit and organize feast entertainment.  So we have support from the top as well as the grass roots.  So we do OK down here in the heat & humidity...

          Marie
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 3, 2005
            Jehanne-
                I agree with you on many things.  I just don't feel the need to comment on things that you have discussed so well.  :)

            -R

            Doggone it, Rathflaed, you were doing so well. (Note to self: kick
            Rathflaed in the shins next Estrella. Better yet, have Lady Makiwara
            do it while she's wearing geta.) ;-> The only credentials you need to
            teach in the SCA is the willingness to say, "Yes, I'll teach that." It
            has nothing to do with arbitrary labels. So there, nyah.

            Jehanne de Wodeford, Minstrel
            Taking over the Known World One Song At A Time

              Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 3, 2005
              --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen R. Melvin" <Rathflaed@h...>
              wrote:
              > Jehanne-
              > I agree with you on many things. I just don't feel the need to
              comment on things that you have discussed so well. :)

              Greetings, O Black One!

              Makiwara says to tell you she's found something scarier looking than
              your motley. http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/uesugikenshin.jpg

              It belonged to 16th century warlord Uesugi Kenshin, the Dragon of Echigo.

              Jehanne
            • Stephen R. Melvin
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 3, 2005
                Cool!  Japanese Motley!  FYI: I only brought the Motley to the West Coast.  You'll have to thank Julitta and Niall and the rest of them from Atlantia for starting the whole shebang.  :)

                -R

                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 3, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > Cool! Japanese Motley!

                  Rathflaed, I had a feeling you'd like it. Though pieced clothing
                  doesn't have the "motley" connotation in feudal Japan. That robe
                  belonged to a warlord, not an entertainer. On the other hand, many
                  costumes for Noh and Kabuki are based on the sometimes wild fashions
                  of the 16th and 17th centuries, so....

                  Rather than digress here, anyone who is interested in more info can
                  visit http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm

                  Jehanne de Wodeford (who is sometimes Makiwara)
                • vdriscoll
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 3, 2005
                    It'll be hard to tell Niall, he's down in Florida and not playing, but
                    I'll let any MSOBs I see in Atlantia know about it. The only one I
                    see in motley these days is Effenwealt, though.

                    hmm... I'll have to see what I can do, but An Italian Courtesan in
                    Motley? I don't know....

                    -Simona
                    (kingdom of Atlantia)

                    wrote:
                    > Cool! Japanese Motley! FYI: I only brought the Motley to the West
                    Coast. You'll have to thank Julitta and Niall and the rest of them
                    from Atlantia for starting the whole shebang. :)

                    > -R
                    Questions answered

                    > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen R. Melvin" <Rathflaed@h...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Jehanne-
                    > > I agree with you on many things. I just don't feel the need to
                    > comment on things that you have discussed so well. :)
                    >
                    > Greetings, O Black One!
                    >
                    > Makiwara says to tell you she's found something scarier looking than
                    > your motley. http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/uesugikenshin.jpg
                    >
                    > It belonged to 16th century warlord Uesugi Kenshin, the Dragon of
                    Echigo.

                    > Jehanne
                    >

                    > Community email addresses:
                    > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com

                    > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS

                    Service.

                  • Anjuli
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                      I am in far northwestern Atlantia (LaVale, MD) sandwiched into the
                      narrow bit of Maryland out in the mountains between WV and PA. We are
                      claimed by Highland Foorde, which is based in Frederick, MD, but it's
                      about an hour and a half hike to get there -- too far, really, for
                      attending regular meetings -- and the closest Laurel I know of (Master
                      James of Rutland) is there. He's not taking on apprentices anyway.
                      Don't know where else to look... We're a little over an hour from Misty
                      Highlands in Aethelmearc -- that's about the closest group, even closer
                      than our own barony by about 1/2 an hour.

                      Anjuli

                      vdriscoll wrote:
                      > *offers a huge hug*
                      >
                      > I understand.
                      >
                      > It's more of a "I don't have time to apprentice myself to anyone"
                      > problem for me. (I am in graduate school and about to become a teacher
                      > for the first time. I'm in overload).
                      >

                      > Rauri (I spelled that SO wrong) is in MD, right?
                      > Bryce is here in Richmond, VA
                      > Effenwealt is in the Raleigh, NC area
                      > Julitta is somewhere south in the NC area (i think)
                      >
                      > Are there any other Bardic Laurels in Atlantia?
                      > and which area are you in?
                      >
                      > -Signora Simona dell'Amore
                      > Barony of Caer Mear
                      > Kingdom of Atlantia
                      >
                      > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Anjuli <anjuli@a...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>I've been looking for a laurel to apprentice to for years -- not that I
                      >>ever expect a laurel myself, but I'd just like to improve my
                      >
                      > performance
                      >
                      >>and my repertoire -- but out here in the far northwestern corner of
                      >>Atlantia there isn't a laurel to be had. So what's a lady to do...?
                      >

                      > Community email addresses:
                      > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com

                      > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Anjuli
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                        In mundane life I am a voice teacher who studied with a coach from
                        Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, and I perform at various venues --
                        most recently at the National Theatre in Washington, DC. (I'll be doing
                        show on Anne Boleyn there in November with Master Corun playing his lute
                        for me.) I have taught classes in medieval Christmas music and have led
                        medieval carolling groups, and I teach dance and Tudor English history
                        at Pennsic and at various Universities -- but I feel very inadequate and
                        ill-equiped, and really wish for a mentor.

                        Anjuli

                        Zukauskas wrote:
                        > Performance Laurels are as rare a hen's teeth, I think...not too many of
                        > us down here in Trimaris either. What you are doing to learn is what I
                        > did to learn (studying music in college was also helpful).
                        >
                        > Marie

                      • Drew
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005

                          > I am in far northwestern Atlantia (LaVale, MD) sandwiched
                          > into the narrow bit of Maryland out in the mountains between
                          > WV and PA. We are claimed by Highland Foorde, which is based
                          > in Frederick, MD, but it's about an hour and a half hike to
                          > get there -- too far, really, for attending regular meetings
                          > -- and the closest Laurel I know of (Master James of Rutland)
                          > is there. He's not taking on apprentices anyway.
                          > Don't know where else to look... We're a little over an hour
                          > from Misty Highlands in Aethelmearc -- that's about the
                          > closest group, even closer than our own barony by about 1/2 an hour.

                          With computers and digital recording, I think that being a bardic apprentice
                          is one of the less difficult disciplines to be a long-distance dependent. I
                          live in Chicago, my laurel is in Indianapolis. We email lyrics, .wav and
                          .mp3 files to each-other fairly regularly. He can critique vocal
                          performance, word-choice, breathing... Almost everything except the visual,
                          which is really only best done in a performance setting anyway.

                          It's not the easiest thing in the world, mind you, but it is doable.

                          Purple
                        • Anjuli
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                            Thank you for the suggestions. I have pretty good computer
                            capabilities, so if I can find a laurel who is willing to work in that
                            fashion, I will gladly apprentice to him/her.

                            Anjuli

                            Drew wrote:
                            >>I am in far northwestern Atlantia (LaVale, MD) sandwiched
                            >>into the narrow bit of Maryland out in the mountains between
                            >>WV and PA. We are claimed by Highland Foorde, which is based
                            >>in Frederick, MD, but it's about an hour and a half hike to
                            >>get there -- too far, really, for attending regular meetings
                            >>-- and the closest Laurel I know of (Master James of Rutland)
                            >>is there. He's not taking on apprentices anyway.
                            >>Don't know where else to look... We're a little over an hour
                            >>from Misty Highlands in Aethelmearc -- that's about the
                            >>closest group, even closer than our own barony by about 1/2 an hour.
                            >>

                            > With computers and digital recording, I think that being a bardic apprentice
                            > is one of the less difficult disciplines to be a long-distance dependent. I
                            > live in Chicago, my laurel is in Indianapolis. We email lyrics, .wav and
                            > .mp3 files to each-other fairly regularly. He can critique vocal
                            > performance, word-choice, breathing... Almost everything except the visual,
                            > which is really only best done in a performance setting anyway.
                            >
                            > It's not the easiest thing in the world, mind you, but it is doable.
                            >

                            > Purple
                            >

                            > Community email addresses:
                            > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com

                            > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Anjuli
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                              I will be at Pennsic this year with my lord and two younglings, camping
                              with House Colderwild at Orluk's Oasis. We hold a mean bardic around
                              our campfire, so drop by any night you're inclined and regale us! Our
                              household abounds with bards, and we appreciate fresh input!

                              Yes, I feel ill-equipped. I don't doubt my talents, I doubt my period
                              authenticity, reportoire and documentations. I also love to
                              write/perform filks -- but I don't want to start an argument on *that*
                              whole issue again! *grin*

                              (Also, I suppose I should admit to a secret desire to earn a laurel
                              myself someday -- does that make me terribly greedy and
                              recognition-hungry? -- but I need to do a lot of work before that will
                              ever happen -- and I'll also need to find some venues where my work
                              might eventually be noticed! But mostly, for the sake of the art and my
                              own satisfaction, I just want to LEARN!)

                              Anjuli

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                                With that background, you feel ill-equipped?  Wow - you are very accomplished already!  I'm not sure why you would feel inadequate & ill-equipped...

                                As an aside, someday I hope to meet you and these other bards from this list - maybe at Pennsic some year.

                                Marie
                                In mundane life I am a voice teacher who studied with a coach from
                                Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, and I perform at various venues --
                                most recently at the National Theatre in Washington, DC.  (I'll be doing
                                show on Anne Boleyn there in November with Master Corun playing his lute
                                for me.)  I have taught classes in medieval Christmas music and have led
                                medieval carolling groups, and I teach dance and Tudor English history
                                at Pennsic and at various Universities -- but I feel very inadequate and
                                ill-equiped, and really wish for a mentor.

                                Anjuli

                              • Jason Alexander Hartbrook
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                                  > I will be at Pennsic this year with my lord and two younglings,
                                  camping with House Colderwild at Orluk's Oasis. We hold a mean
                                  bardic around our campfire, so drop by any night you're inclined and
                                  regale us! Our household abounds with bards, and we appreciate fresh
                                  input!

                                  Give me a map, I'm there! *wink* And for the curious, N-19,
                                  Encampment of House Lac du Valle, I shall be there for the most part,
                                  riding my faithful electronic steed! *wink*

                                  > Yes, I feel ill-equipped. I don't doubt my talents, I doubt my
                                  period authenticity, reportoire and documentations. I also love to
                                  write/perform filks -- but I don't want to start an argument on
                                  *that* whole issue again! *grin*

                                  Yes you do - admit it, filking is best done in the open for all to
                                  enjoy! *ducks the incoming horde of rotten fruit tossed his way*

                                  Come, let us filk together and sing other songs well into the night,
                                  that the encampments around us might bicker and wail about the bards
                                  that 'sange alle nighte and wouldnae shut up'!

                                  -=Arsieu de Bordeaulx=-

                                  *** Filks in book, look out now! ***
                                • Anjuli
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                                    Take the Great Eastern Highway towards the lake, past Howard's Fenway,
                                    turn right on the Roman Road. At the bottom of the hill, we are across
                                    the road from the castle. If you get to Runestone Hill, you've gone too
                                    far! Our banner is a white death's head surrounded by three butterflies
                                    on a black background. We are a very eclectic camp -- Middle Eastern
                                    drummers and dancers (which is why we gravitated to Orluk's), fighters,
                                    teachers, Celts, and general bards. Please, everyone, feel free to
                                    visit. We are also a camp full of brewers, so bring your drinking horn,
                                    fill your cup, take a seat by the fire and join us!

                                    Filking is very welcome at Colderwild -- but only if it's done well!

                                    Anjuli

                                    Jason Alexander Hartbrook wrote:
                                    >>I will be at Pennsic this year with my lord and two younglings,
                                    >
                                    > camping with House Colderwild at Orluk's Oasis. We hold a mean
                                    > bardic around our campfire, so drop by any night you're inclined and
                                    > regale us! Our household abounds with bards, and we appreciate fresh
                                    > input!
                                    >
                                    > Give me a map, I'm there! *wink* And for the curious, N-19,
                                    > Encampment of House Lac du Valle, I shall be there for the most part,
                                    > riding my faithful electronic steed! *wink*
                                    >

                                    >>Yes, I feel ill-equipped. I don't doubt my talents, I doubt my
                                    >
                                    > period authenticity, reportoire and documentations. I also love to
                                    > write/perform filks -- but I don't want to start an argument on
                                    > *that* whole issue again! *grin*
                                    >
                                    > Yes you do - admit it, filking is best done in the open for all to
                                    > enjoy! *ducks the incoming horde of rotten fruit tossed his way*
                                    >
                                    > Come, let us filk together and sing other songs well into the night,
                                    > that the encampments around us might bicker and wail about the bards
                                    > that 'sange alle nighte and wouldnae shut up'!
                                    >

                                    > -=Arsieu de Bordeaulx=-
                                    >
                                    > *** Filks in book, look out now! ***
                                    >

                                    > Community email addresses:
                                    > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com

                                    > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Jason Alexander Hartbrook
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                      Expect at least one visit from me! :) My little steed will be able to
                                      traverse that path with nae problem.

                                      As far as filking and how well it is done, you can check mine at
                                      http://www.geocities.com/lacduvalle/arsieu.html The filks are listed at
                                      the bottom of the page.

                                      -=Arsieu=-

                                      > Take the Great Eastern Highway towards the lake, past Howard's
                                      Fenway, turn right on the Roman Road. At the bottom of the hill, we
                                      are across the road from the castle. If you get to Runestone Hill,
                                      you've gone too far! Our banner is a white death's head surrounded by
                                      three butterflies on a black background. We are a very eclectic camp --
                                      Middle Eastern drummers and dancers (which is why we gravitated to
                                      Orluk's), fighters, teachers, Celts, and general bards. Please,
                                      everyone, feel free to visit. We are also a camp full of brewers, so
                                      bring your drinking horn, fill your cup, take a seat by the fire and
                                      join us!

                                      > Filking is very welcome at Colderwild -- but only if it's done well!

                                      > Anjuli
                                    • jenny tavernier
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 7, 2005
                                        I just happened to catch how pantyhose are made on the Sci channel. This was in the middle of being deeply involved in icelandic Tvísöngur.

                                        The disparity of the two subjects has just fried my brain.
                                        (I can't believe that they stretch them from here to eternity 90,000 times and all kinds of noodling, and there are no snags!!!!)

                                        Jenneth

                                        I think I'll just go read a nice simple book now..

                                        the clock said

                                        time to adjust your altitude

                                        tune in for time out

                                        readjust your zone

                                        if sleeping overcomes your readers

                                        and shadows and headaches ensue

                                        give them a yo yo

                                        .

                                        Discover Yahoo!
                                      • imyis
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 7, 2005
                                          I can't either, I always snag them on a fingernail on the first wearing.

                                          Yis

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 7, 2005
                                            LOL!

                                            Well, you are more facile than I - they snag when I look at them -even when  I  sneak up! Tights, too!

                                            But I'll take a hint from archeologists and art curators, and think I'll honestly begin wearing poly gloves -

                                            jen

                                            I have an ancient tongue
                                            long memories in my rucksack
                                            here in the last refuge
                                            I am leaves dancing
                                            ©2005JHT
                                            Conversation, like music, is really kinetic sculpture - jen

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                                          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 18, 2005
                                              Atlantia inherited one of our premier Bards a number of years ago. Does
                                              anyone know what has happened to Neil Dolphin?? Hand that man *any*
                                              instrument and there's a very good likely-hood that he'd play it.

                                              Brad

                                              Subject: [SCA_BARDS] So what am I going to do about it? Re: Questions
                                              answered

                                              >*offers a huge hug*
                                              >
                                              >Rauri (I spelled that SO wrong) is in MD, right?
                                              >Bryce is here in Richmond, VA
                                              >Effenwealt is in the Raleigh, NC area
                                              >Julitta is somewhere south in the NC area (i think)
                                              >
                                              >Are there any other Bardic Laurels in Atlantia?
                                              >and which area are you in?
                                              >
                                              >-Signora Simona dell'Amore
                                              >Barony of Caer Mear
                                              >Kingdom of Atlantia

                                            • vdriscoll
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 25, 2005
                                                Yeah, he moved to Florida a couple of years ago (3 or 4?) and dropped
                                                out of the SCA.

                                                I guess he just burned out.

                                                He was cool to have around. :) But a bit of a flake. (and I was a
                                                friend...)

                                                -Simona

                                                --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@b...>