Re: [SCA_BARDS] Filk Song Question

  • Madog Hir
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2000
      From: Fayme Harper <GypsyProductions@...>
      To: <SCA_BARDS@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 2:04 PM
      Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Filk Song Question

      > What is the definition of a Filk song? Is it only a filk song if it
      > is new words to existing music done as a spoof? Or are all modern
      > novelty songs filk songs? If both words and music are new is it
      > still a filk song? If not, what is it called? Are serious words to
      > an old song (like a ballad for example) still called filk songs?
      > Inquiring gypsies want to know. Gramercy, Sapphira of Alexandria

      This has probably been answered already, but I'll put in my two pence.

      Technically, a filk song is a song that are based on works of the
      Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan community. That's about the closest you get to a
      "category definition" -- some are parodies of popular songs, some are
      original. However, the term "filk" has gotten assimilated by several other
      crowds -- the SCAdians, computer folk, Neo-Pagans, BDSM, RPG and LRPG'ers,
      and probably a few others.

      Broadly speaking, "filk" (i.e. the act of putting new words so an existing
      song) is a documentably period practice called "contrafactual" (sp?). A
      classic example of contrafactual is Greensleeves, attributed as being
      written by Henry VIII to an existing tune. An OOP example is our own
      national anthem -- the music for the Star Spangled Banner was from a popular
      tavern song. (And it makes sense, too -- I'd never even TRY to hit that high
      note without a few sheets to the wind <g>.)

      There's a lot longer answer at www.filk.com -- try the Filk 101 first, as
      the filk FAQ is a bit dated.

      Madog Hir
      madog_hir@...