just starting?

  • olalla13865
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
      Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for starting bardic
      activities in a group. THere are no bards in my shire so there is no
      one to really learn from. Any ideas on how to get started? also, i
      noticed that some of the sites have songs written by SCA bards- is
      there a copyright curtesy on these songs? I would hate to offend
      anyone. THanks. Constancia
    • Bjorn Swiftaxe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
        I know the Shire of Coppertree had no bardic activities when I
        joined. I found the easiest way to start those activities was to see
        if you could find anyone who was bardically inclined and either in
        your group or one nearby and see if they would be willing to come to
        a practice or meeting and sing or tell tales once in awhile. Normally
        that gets interested people that are local to start appearing out of
        the woodwork and showing off bardic talents they didn't show before.

        In service,
        Bjorn Swiftaxe
        Shire of Coppertree, Aethelmearc

        --- olalla13865 <faeriegoddmother@...> wrote:

        > Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for starting bardic
        > activities in a group. THere are no bards in my shire so there is
        > no
        > one to really learn from. Any ideas on how to get started? also, i
        > noticed that some of the sites have songs written by SCA bards- is
        > there a copyright curtesy on these songs? I would hate to offend
        > anyone. THanks. Constancia

        I am the Shadowstorm. The shadows of my mind rage and crash with the fury of a storm. Starwind lights my way and keeps me safe in her arms. Mynx is My love and passion and shall hold My heart forever safe in hers as I hold her's safe in Mine.

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
      • Jacqueline Gregory
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
          We used to throw 6 to 10 person parties at
          someone's house -- then, when the booze has
          flowed in the right amounts, and enough Irish /
          Scottish drinking songs have played, people
          simply cannot STOP singing. This is a good way to
          find your hidden songsters. It's better than
          Karoke.

          sayida azure al khabeelah
          (notorious bad person)

          --- Bjorn Swiftaxe <snaebjornr@...> wrote:

          > I know the Shire of Coppertree had no bardic
          > activities when I
          > joined. I found the easiest way to start those
          > activities was to see
          > if you could find anyone who was bardically
          > inclined and either in
          > your group or one nearby and see if they would
          > be willing to come to
          > a practice or meeting and sing or tell tales
          > once in awhile. Normally
          > that gets interested people that are local to
          > start appearing out of
          > the woodwork and showing off bardic talents
          > they didn't show before.
          >
          > In service,
          > Bjorn Swiftaxe
          > Shire of Coppertree, Aethelmearc

          AoA, Jambe de Lion, Goutte de Sang,
          Lions Claw, Silver Pillar, Scribal Apprentice
          Bard Officer Lions Gate
          "You people are crazy...." -- Ulf
          History is a trick we play on Gerhard Kendal
          -- Anonymous

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/
        • jenny tavernier
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
            (laughing!) I bet you are not in the barrens of AZ, but though NOT necessarily SCA, start checking out or flyers to your choral groups or theatre groups -  - - you might get someone to join up with you - Just tell 'em bardic activities - medi - folk - filk - etc - verse, what have you -

            No reason you can't build a bardic group! (LOL!) and with camping and costumes (Garb) and what all -

            Unless otherwise stated, at least the kingdoms I have been in, go for it and preform! Unless otherwise stated by the owner/composer - the copyright courtesie has always been mention of credit to the Author/authors, and from where they hail if possible.

            As far as material, get yourself 2/3 songs under your belt from kingdom files. and get'em down!
            Then go for it! They will find you!

            Good Luck and fine barding !  Jennth the Rindill

            olalla13865 <faeriegoddmother@...> wrote:
            Hi.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice for starting bardic
            activities in a group.

            encircled by melodies ablaze
            a breath of flute and drum
            permeates the night
            playing pleas of delightful burdens so piercing
            one drawn is almost strangled by rapture

            ©2005JHT
            Conversation, like music, is really kinetic sculpture - jen

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Stephen R. Melvin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 2005
              I know that this is a bit out of date, but I'm going through old emails and thought I'd knock this one out.  With regard to copyright, there is no standard, but the law says that you are not legally allowed to perform the pieces without permission from the copyright holder.  I always tell people to please perform my pieces, and if they can easily fit it in, please give me credit.  Good luck!

              -Rathflaed

              Rathflaed DuNoir
              The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB

                Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com