Re: awww, encouraging a poor country bard (Quarters for Beltane)

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Balthazar" <neovolatile@y...>
      wrote:
      > For something more uplifting, one hopes, here is something I penned
      > for this weekend's celebration, the calling of the Quarters.

      Consider yourself encouraged, Sir Knight. THIS one rocks.

      And why aren't you lobbing bard grenades over on SCA-West? I'm sure
      Hirsch would like to include these for the History site.

      Jehanne de Wodeford
    • Sir Balthazar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Balthazar" <neovolatile@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > For something more uplifting, one hopes, here is something I
        penned
        > > for this weekend's celebration, the calling of the Quarters.
        >
        > Consider yourself encouraged, Sir Knight. THIS one rocks.
        >
        > And why aren't you lobbing bard grenades over on SCA-West? I'm sure
        > Hirsch would like to include these for the History site.
        >
        > Jehanne de Wodeford

        I am not sure that SCA-West is a place that encourages such. Master
        Hirsch seemed pretty well-occupied last time I asked about anything.
        And most of the stuff on the SCA-West board seems to be about
        directions to such-and-such events. Maybe I am wrong. Certainly would
        not be the first time. *smiles* You really think I should? Even
        though
        Duke Jade announces me as "That Fossil from Ansteorra," I always feel
        like such a newcomer here in the West.

        Right now I am spending much of my serious and joyful creative energy
        in photography and manipulation of such. Most of it dedicated to the
        Goddess I see in every woman, child, and even every man. Hopefully, I
        will be able to find a gallery in the San Francisco area that will
        like
        my work. The prints are up to 14X19" before matting and framing. My
        best is NOT online. Pushing the boundaries enough as it is.

        Regarding my plays, Long Lankin and The Great Silkie, I am thinking
        of
        taking up puppetry since I have had such a dreadful time finding SCA
        folk willing to learn lines, rehearse and say the lines trippingly.
        Ah,
        what bard would not like to have his hands up his players'...ah,
        fundaments? nevermind. *G* Only problem is I cannot for long kneel. I
        have an artificial knee now thanks to being tortured many years ago
        whilst serving in the Army. Last weekend I was Passed to FellowCraft
        in
        Co-Masons, of course I had to kneel. The next week I used my cane
        quite
        a bit. (It was worth every limping moment, however.)

        Enough for now. Everyone has my blessings to use my Calling and
        Dismissing Quarters. Proviso, say a prayer in Circle for Peace and
        safe
        return of our troops (soon) from the 140 countries they are now in.

        Sir Balthazar of Endor
        1st Cav Viet Nam '70-'71
        Bronze Star, Air Medal 5 awards, Army Commendation, etc
        Bard to Baroness Jena Whitehart
        Tarnmist, The Marches, The West
      • Brighid Anraith
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
          >Regarding my plays, Long Lankin and The Great Silkie, I am thinking of
          >taking up puppetry ..... Only problem is I cannot for long kneel. I
          >have an artificial knee now thanks to being tortured many years ago
          >whilst serving in the Army.

          Marionettes, maybe? I can't remember if they're period or not, but you have
          to stand above the puppets anyway. On a chair even, if you're short like me.

          They're tricky though.

          Or maybe make your puppet theatre so that you stand behind a backdrop
          curtain and manipulate your puppets at about chest/face height. Easier on
          the arms too, than holding them above your head while you kneel.

          Brighid

          Ooooh, SHINY!
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
            wrote:
            > I am not sure that SCA-West is a place that encourages such. Master
            > Hirsch seemed pretty well-occupied last time I asked about anything.
            > And most of the stuff on the SCA-West board seems to be about
            > directions to such-and-such events. Maybe I am wrong.

            We had someone post a bunch of love poems earlier this week and Hirsch
            does actually collect stuff for the bardic arts section of the History
            site. http://history.westkingdom.org/Bardic/index.htm

            So go for it.

            > Regarding my plays, Long Lankin and The Great Silkie, I am thinking
            > of
            > taking up puppetry since I have had such a dreadful time finding SCA
            > folk willing to learn lines, rehearse and say the lines trippingly.
            > Ah,
            > what bard would not like to have his hands up his players'...ah,
            > fundaments? nevermind.

            Make the bad man STOP. ;->

            *G* Only problem is I cannot for long kneel.

            So, construct a puppet stage that's high enough to sit or even stand
            behind. There's no rule saying you have to kneel. ;-> Besides, it
            would be great fun, says the lady with the herd of stuffed monkeys.

            Jehanne
          • Tessa Nieto
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
              --- Sir Balthazar <neovolatile@...> wrote:
              Regarding my plays, Long Lankin and The Great Silkie,
              I am thinking of taking up puppetry since I have had
              such a dreadful time finding SCA folk willing to learn
              lines, rehearse and say the lines trippingly.

              *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

              Believe me, good Sir, if I were in your part of town,
              you'd have at least one player. :o)

              Warmest regards,
              Lady Eleanor Cleavely
              perpetual lurker (Your poetry is too good!!!!)
              self-professed ham (aka Bard)
              Barony of Sun Dragon
              Kingdom of Atenveldt

              per fess azure and sable, a harp or stringed argent, a
              lion dormant or.

              We are the musicmakers...and we are the dreamers of dreams - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

              Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

              http://mail.yahoo.com