Re: [SCA_BARDS] awww, encouraging a poor country bard (Quarters for Beltane)

  • Selena Kaplan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29 11:20 AM
      sigh.
      can I use this? I will credit you..but the images bring me joy.

      Selena
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29 11:43 AM
        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Balthazar" <neovolatile@y...>
        wrote:
        > For something more uplifting, one hopes, here is something I penned
        > for this weekend's celebration, the calling of the Quarters.

        Consider yourself encouraged, Sir Knight. THIS one rocks.

        And why aren't you lobbing bard grenades over on SCA-West? I'm sure
        Hirsch would like to include these for the History site.

        Jehanne de Wodeford
      • Sir Balthazar
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29 12:15 PM
          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
          > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Balthazar" <neovolatile@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > For something more uplifting, one hopes, here is something I
          penned
          > > for this weekend's celebration, the calling of the Quarters.
          >
          > Consider yourself encouraged, Sir Knight. THIS one rocks.
          >
          > And why aren't you lobbing bard grenades over on SCA-West? I'm sure
          > Hirsch would like to include these for the History site.
          >
          > Jehanne de Wodeford

          I am not sure that SCA-West is a place that encourages such. Master
          Hirsch seemed pretty well-occupied last time I asked about anything.
          And most of the stuff on the SCA-West board seems to be about
          directions to such-and-such events. Maybe I am wrong. Certainly would
          not be the first time. *smiles* You really think I should? Even
          though
          Duke Jade announces me as "That Fossil from Ansteorra," I always feel
          like such a newcomer here in the West.

          Right now I am spending much of my serious and joyful creative energy
          in photography and manipulation of such. Most of it dedicated to the
          Goddess I see in every woman, child, and even every man. Hopefully, I
          will be able to find a gallery in the San Francisco area that will
          like
          my work. The prints are up to 14X19" before matting and framing. My
          best is NOT online. Pushing the boundaries enough as it is.

          Regarding my plays, Long Lankin and The Great Silkie, I am thinking
          of
          taking up puppetry since I have had such a dreadful time finding SCA
          folk willing to learn lines, rehearse and say the lines trippingly.
          Ah,
          what bard would not like to have his hands up his players'...ah,
          fundaments? nevermind. *G* Only problem is I cannot for long kneel. I
          have an artificial knee now thanks to being tortured many years ago
          whilst serving in the Army. Last weekend I was Passed to FellowCraft
          in
          Co-Masons, of course I had to kneel. The next week I used my cane
          quite
          a bit. (It was worth every limping moment, however.)

          Enough for now. Everyone has my blessings to use my Calling and
          Dismissing Quarters. Proviso, say a prayer in Circle for Peace and
          safe
          return of our troops (soon) from the 140 countries they are now in.

          Sir Balthazar of Endor
          1st Cav Viet Nam '70-'71
          Bronze Star, Air Medal 5 awards, Army Commendation, etc
          Bard to Baroness Jena Whitehart
          Tarnmist, The Marches, The West
        • Brighid Anraith
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29 12:49 PM
            >Regarding my plays, Long Lankin and The Great Silkie, I am thinking of
            >taking up puppetry ..... Only problem is I cannot for long kneel. I
            >have an artificial knee now thanks to being tortured many years ago
            >whilst serving in the Army.

            Marionettes, maybe? I can't remember if they're period or not, but you have
            to stand above the puppets anyway. On a chair even, if you're short like me.

            They're tricky though.

            Or maybe make your puppet theatre so that you stand behind a backdrop
            curtain and manipulate your puppets at about chest/face height. Easier on
            the arms too, than holding them above your head while you kneel.

            Brighid

            Ooooh, SHINY!
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29 1:24 PM
              wrote:
              > I am not sure that SCA-West is a place that encourages such. Master
              > Hirsch seemed pretty well-occupied last time I asked about anything.
              > And most of the stuff on the SCA-West board seems to be about
              > directions to such-and-such events. Maybe I am wrong.

              We had someone post a bunch of love poems earlier this week and Hirsch
              does actually collect stuff for the bardic arts section of the History
              site. http://history.westkingdom.org/Bardic/index.htm

              So go for it.

              > Regarding my plays, Long Lankin and The Great Silkie, I am thinking
              > of
              > taking up puppetry since I have had such a dreadful time finding SCA
              > folk willing to learn lines, rehearse and say the lines trippingly.
              > Ah,
              > what bard would not like to have his hands up his players'...ah,
              > fundaments? nevermind.

              Make the bad man STOP. ;->

              *G* Only problem is I cannot for long kneel.

              So, construct a puppet stage that's high enough to sit or even stand
              behind. There's no rule saying you have to kneel. ;-> Besides, it
              would be great fun, says the lady with the herd of stuffed monkeys.

              Jehanne
            • Tessa Nieto
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29 1:57 PM
                --- Sir Balthazar <neovolatile@...> wrote:
                Regarding my plays, Long Lankin and The Great Silkie,
                I am thinking of taking up puppetry since I have had
                such a dreadful time finding SCA folk willing to learn
                lines, rehearse and say the lines trippingly.

                *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

                Believe me, good Sir, if I were in your part of town,
                you'd have at least one player. :o)

                Warmest regards,
                Lady Eleanor Cleavely
                perpetual lurker (Your poetry is too good!!!!)
                self-professed ham (aka Bard)
                Barony of Sun Dragon
                Kingdom of Atenveldt

                per fess azure and sable, a harp or stringed argent, a
                lion dormant or.

                We are the musicmakers...and we are the dreamers of dreams - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

                Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

                http://mail.yahoo.com