Re: [SCA_BARDS] Good Christmas resource

  • jenny tavernier
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
      hmmm......

      You can tell she's working on it - there was a little blurb on the news and the comming 9 planetary alignment - I swear that both venus and mars looked eerily like they were already wrapped in manuscript -

      Jingle verse:

      Brandishing her stave
      with manuscript in hand
      o're the mass she waves
      lets loose some rubber bands
      choristers attend
      now garbed in paper gay
      and now if they don't know the song
      they're 'bound' to learn this way

      rubber bands
      rubber bands
      holding up my garb -
      music doth surround me
      and it's pinning down my arms
      now I've no excuse -
      to learn this blasted song
      it's bound to me with rubber bands
      I'll wear it all night long

      soon the country clear
      is covered  all in white
      with pen and pencil smear
      and staves lead out of site
      soon cities in its path
      ring out with dulcet tones
      the fens and felds and glens and leaves
      set up the tenor drone

      manuscript manuscript
      it's hansel's gretel's road-
      everything that's touched by it
      is suddenly quite bold-
      new leafed trees
      on the breeze
      are spreading it afar
      my god what would happen if it got into a jar!

      the oceans have the bass
      the alto in the trees
      a descant out in space
      it's Pythy's harmony!
      the winds are keeping pace -
      the rythym is quite grand
      the rocks and stones are rat-tl-ing
      percussion makes a stand - oh!

       rubber bands
      rubber bands
      girding everything
      everywhere you look
      there's something wonderful to sing
      take a chance
      folks all dance
      merrily in rings -
      carols filling every lung
      and covering everything

      Jen

      wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas has some 1900 carols in midi,
      lyric and score form.

      Enjoy,
      Jehanne de Wodeford, still trying to take over the world, one song
      at a time.

        Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

      freefall companions
      two winds in warmth
      vines twining, braving december
      though leaves, yet scattered from the same root
      and through time - never withering
      <c>2004JHT

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:

        > http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas has some 1900 carols in midi,
        > lyric and score form.

        I'm sorry, that should be http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com

        Jehanne
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, jenny tavernier
          <lyricdancer88@y...> wrote:
          > hmmm......
          >
          > You can tell she's working on it - there was a little blurb on the
          news...

          Nah, we just had about fifteen people singing "Veni, Veni Emmanuel"
          2PM PST yesterday. Hardly enough to cause a seismic event, much less
          shift planetary orbits. But they were singing period songs in Latin.
          And LIKING it! Mwah hah hah.....

          Jehanne
        • Jason Alexander Hartbrook
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
            Jenneth... as always the song was entertaining and I found it an
            enjoyable read to start my workday here. Thank ye kindly for lifting
            the Yule spirit of an bard swamped by work.

            -=Arsieu de Bordeaulx=-

            *** To work I say - Bah! Humbug! ***

            > You can tell she's working on it - there was a little blurb on the
            news and the coming 9 planetary alignment - I swear that both venus
            and mars looked eerily like they were already wrapped in manuscript -
          • Katriana
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
              > I'm sorry, that should be http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com
              >
              > Jehanne

              http://www.cyberhymnal.org
              is another good site for hymns, with as much background information
              as they can find. Easy to get sucked into the research angle :-)

              katriana
              used to be music coordinator for one of our church services
            • jenny tavernier
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                my dear Arsieu and all! -

                LOL! I just sprungeth as rough draft  upon contemplating the Lady Jehanne's majesty of purpose - and though roughly writ and not "honed" (nor are rubber bands period and I have NO idea where that image came from!) In fact I have no idea why this occured - home from work, tired and an attack of the sillies (read pure unfocused state of enervated glee) came upon me - seeing her barreling down earth's highway, declaming - "you WILL! you WILL! You CAN!"
                and simply becomming as unto a Gumby cat - bearing no nonsense from recalcitrant people or objects - taking them firmly in hand -

                Of course, the fact that it got a bit cosmic, I believe is that I had the oddest picture of a force like unto Kurt Vonnegat's Ice 9 - (Grin!)

                Jenneth

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 15, 2004
                  Then please allow me this observation, my dear Jenneth.

                  Writing furiously as she can,
                  quill practically flying,
                  ink to parchment applied,
                  barely has time for drying.

                  Jenneth of the picklebowl
                  penning her latest creation,
                  Much to the chagrin of
                  the rest of the bardic nation. ;)

                  Ya know we luvs ya.

                  -=Arsieu, Arsy to the fair Jenneth=-

                  > my dear Arsieu and all! -
                  >
                  > LOL! I just sprungeth as rough draft upon contemplating the Lady
                  Jehanne's majesty of purpose - and though roughly writ and
                  not "honed" (nor are rubber bands period and I have NO idea where
                  that image came from!) In fact I have no idea why this occured - home
                  from work, tired and an attack of the sillies (read pure unfocused
                  state of enervated glee) came upon me - seeing her barreling down
                  earth's highway, declaming - "you WILL! you WILL! You CAN!"
                  > and simply becomming as unto a Gumby cat - bearing no nonsense from
                  recalcitrant people or objects - taking them firmly in hand -

                  > Of course, the fact that it got a bit cosmic, I believe is that I
                  had the oddest picture of a force like unto Kurt Vonnegat's Ice 9 -
                  (Grin!)

                  > Jenneth
                  >

                  > freefall companions
                  > two winds in warmth
                  > vines twining, braving december
                  > though leaves, yet scattered from the same root
                  > and through time - never withering
                  > <c>2004JHT

                • jenny tavernier
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 17, 2004
                    'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the Hall
                    Not a creature was stirring, not warrior nor thrall.
                    And I in my armor, my greaves and my helm
                    Was drunker than anyone else in the Realm.

                    I staggered upstairs and fell into bed
                    While four quarts of mead were ablaze in my head.
                    Then up from below came the sounds of a brawl
                    So I grabbed up my axe and ran down to the Hall.

                    I missed the last step and crashed down in a heap
                    Thinking, "Why can't those low-lifes downstairs go to sleep!"
                    When what to my wondering eyes should appear
                    But two brawny strangers, wielding mallet and spear.

                    I said to myself, "We'll soon have them beat!"
                    Then I noticed ten warriors laid out at their feet.
                    I gave out a yell and leapt into the fray...
                    I'll always regret my poor choice of that day.

                    For the one laid his hammer to the side of my nose
                    And up, up, up to the rafters I rose.
                    Then came a lone frightened voice from the floor,
                    "Those are no mortal warriors -- that's Odin and Thor!"

                    Then they looked at each other and they said, "Battle's done.
                    Now they know who we are, it no longer is fun."
                    Then Thor raised his hammer, and his elbow he bent,
                    And with a loud crash, through the ceiling they went.

                    I crawled through the Hall and flung open the door,
                    Not really sure that I'd seen them before.
                    The snow bathed in starlight, the moon like a glede,
                    I saw them ride off on an eight-legged steed.

                    And I heard them exclaim,
                    'ere they flew out of sight,
                    "TO HELL WITH CHRISTMAS,
                    WE JUST LOVE A GOOD FIGHT!"

                    Conversation is really kinetic sculpture - jen

                    The stars rain down
                    the moon floats in my net
                    I'll bring heaven home tonight
                    and you'll be there
                    �2004JHT

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Jason Alexander Hartbrook
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 20, 2004
                      Bravo! Definitely a Northshield poem! *wink*

                      -=Arsieu de Bordeaulx, Large Bard at Large=-
                    • jenny tavernier
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 22, 2004
                        Please forgive the bandwidth and please feel free to cross post!

                        I am pleased to announce that AmberWyvern Studios LLC will be releasing a new web based magazine on Monday January 3rd at Noon. "The Modern Minstrels Quarterly" will feature news, reviews, articles, tips, and anything else that is related to the Folk music scene and to music, song, dance, storytelling and other bardic arts within the SCA.

                        The reason for this missive is to solicit contributions, story ideas, news, information, reviews, etc. from the folks within the SCA and Folk music scene.

                        So if you want to contribute to this bold endeavor, please send your submissions to submissions@...

                        Also after Christmas, there will be a link on the AmberWyvern site
                        http://www.amberwyvernrecords.com  to subscribe.

                        Humbly in the Service of Song
                        Geoffrey Malachite of AmberWyvern, Tir Ysgithr
                        aka
                        Bill Bulman owner of AmberWvyern Studios LLC

                        (Bill is based in Aten - Az but planetary in scope!) Jen

                        ---------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 26, 2004
                          Fwd from Aten/Estrella Grand Ball - Sheet music (noteworthy) and midis of music for the ball - and for anyone else intersted - see steph's (milady blade) site below)  Jen

                          We are please to announce that Estrella War will once again be hosting
                          Grand Ball with live musicians.  Last year we hosted an inter-kingdom
                          musicians� gallery with participants from 5 different Kingdoms.  We�re
                          hoping to break that number this year!

                          For musicians who would like to participate, there will be an open
                          practice
                          Thursday evening at 7 PM in the A&S Pavilion.  The Grand Ball will be
                          Friday
                          night in the Grand Pavilion after any courts are done.

                          Music for the dance set is now available off the Estrella Special
                          Events
                          page or directly from:

                          http://home.comcast.net/~stephanie.maynard/

                          Please feel free to forward this post to appropriate lists.   We look
                          forward to seeing you at the Grand Ball.

                          Dame Selene O�Malley, Pel

                          PS - when you get to the actual music page, you will see icons for images if yours don't show - the last one of each set of squares is the midi for that tune -  Jen