Good Christmas resource

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
      http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas has some 1900 carols in midi,
      lyric and score form.

      Enjoy,
      Jehanne de Wodeford, still trying to take over the world, one song
      at a time.
    • jenny tavernier
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
        hmmm......

        You can tell she's working on it - there was a little blurb on the news and the comming 9 planetary alignment - I swear that both venus and mars looked eerily like they were already wrapped in manuscript -

        Jingle verse:

        Brandishing her stave
        with manuscript in hand
        o're the mass she waves
        lets loose some rubber bands
        choristers attend
        now garbed in paper gay
        and now if they don't know the song
        they're 'bound' to learn this way

        rubber bands
        rubber bands
        holding up my garb -
        music doth surround me
        and it's pinning down my arms
        now I've no excuse -
        to learn this blasted song
        it's bound to me with rubber bands
        I'll wear it all night long

        soon the country clear
        is covered  all in white
        with pen and pencil smear
        and staves lead out of site
        soon cities in its path
        ring out with dulcet tones
        the fens and felds and glens and leaves
        set up the tenor drone

        manuscript manuscript
        it's hansel's gretel's road-
        everything that's touched by it
        is suddenly quite bold-
        new leafed trees
        on the breeze
        are spreading it afar
        my god what would happen if it got into a jar!

        the oceans have the bass
        the alto in the trees
        a descant out in space
        it's Pythy's harmony!
        the winds are keeping pace -
        the rythym is quite grand
        the rocks and stones are rat-tl-ing
        percussion makes a stand - oh!

         rubber bands
        rubber bands
        girding everything
        everywhere you look
        there's something wonderful to sing
        take a chance
        folks all dance
        merrily in rings -
        carols filling every lung
        and covering everything

        Jen

        wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

        http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas has some 1900 carols in midi,
        lyric and score form.

        Enjoy,
        Jehanne de Wodeford, still trying to take over the world, one song
        at a time.

          Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

        freefall companions
        two winds in warmth
        vines twining, braving december
        though leaves, yet scattered from the same root
        and through time - never withering
        <c>2004JHT

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:

          > http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas has some 1900 carols in midi,
          > lyric and score form.

          I'm sorry, that should be http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com

          Jehanne
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
            --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, jenny tavernier
            <lyricdancer88@y...> wrote:
            > hmmm......
            >
            > You can tell she's working on it - there was a little blurb on the
            news...

            Nah, we just had about fifteen people singing "Veni, Veni Emmanuel"
            2PM PST yesterday. Hardly enough to cause a seismic event, much less
            shift planetary orbits. But they were singing period songs in Latin.
            And LIKING it! Mwah hah hah.....

            Jehanne
          • Jason Alexander Hartbrook
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
              Jenneth... as always the song was entertaining and I found it an
              enjoyable read to start my workday here. Thank ye kindly for lifting
              the Yule spirit of an bard swamped by work.

              -=Arsieu de Bordeaulx=-

              *** To work I say - Bah! Humbug! ***

              > You can tell she's working on it - there was a little blurb on the
              news and the coming 9 planetary alignment - I swear that both venus
              and mars looked eerily like they were already wrapped in manuscript -
            • Katriana
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                > I'm sorry, that should be http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com
                >
                > Jehanne

                http://www.cyberhymnal.org
                is another good site for hymns, with as much background information
                as they can find. Easy to get sucked into the research angle :-)

                katriana
                used to be music coordinator for one of our church services
              • jenny tavernier
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                  my dear Arsieu and all! -

                  LOL! I just sprungeth as rough draft  upon contemplating the Lady Jehanne's majesty of purpose - and though roughly writ and not "honed" (nor are rubber bands period and I have NO idea where that image came from!) In fact I have no idea why this occured - home from work, tired and an attack of the sillies (read pure unfocused state of enervated glee) came upon me - seeing her barreling down earth's highway, declaming - "you WILL! you WILL! You CAN!"
                  and simply becomming as unto a Gumby cat - bearing no nonsense from recalcitrant people or objects - taking them firmly in hand -

                  Of course, the fact that it got a bit cosmic, I believe is that I had the oddest picture of a force like unto Kurt Vonnegat's Ice 9 - (Grin!)

                  Jenneth

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 15, 2004
                    Then please allow me this observation, my dear Jenneth.

                    Writing furiously as she can,
                    quill practically flying,
                    ink to parchment applied,
                    barely has time for drying.

                    Jenneth of the picklebowl
                    penning her latest creation,
                    Much to the chagrin of
                    the rest of the bardic nation. ;)

                    Ya know we luvs ya.

                    -=Arsieu, Arsy to the fair Jenneth=-

                    > my dear Arsieu and all! -
                    >
                    > LOL! I just sprungeth as rough draft upon contemplating the Lady
                    Jehanne's majesty of purpose - and though roughly writ and
                    not "honed" (nor are rubber bands period and I have NO idea where
                    that image came from!) In fact I have no idea why this occured - home
                    from work, tired and an attack of the sillies (read pure unfocused
                    state of enervated glee) came upon me - seeing her barreling down
                    earth's highway, declaming - "you WILL! you WILL! You CAN!"
                    > and simply becomming as unto a Gumby cat - bearing no nonsense from
                    recalcitrant people or objects - taking them firmly in hand -

                    > Of course, the fact that it got a bit cosmic, I believe is that I
                    had the oddest picture of a force like unto Kurt Vonnegat's Ice 9 -
                    (Grin!)

                    > Jenneth
                    >

                    > freefall companions
                    > two winds in warmth
                    > vines twining, braving december
                    > though leaves, yet scattered from the same root
                    > and through time - never withering
                    > <c>2004JHT

                  • jenny tavernier
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 17, 2004
                      'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the Hall
                      Not a creature was stirring, not warrior nor thrall.
                      And I in my armor, my greaves and my helm
                      Was drunker than anyone else in the Realm.

                      I staggered upstairs and fell into bed
                      While four quarts of mead were ablaze in my head.
                      Then up from below came the sounds of a brawl
                      So I grabbed up my axe and ran down to the Hall.

                      I missed the last step and crashed down in a heap
                      Thinking, "Why can't those low-lifes downstairs go to sleep!"
                      When what to my wondering eyes should appear
                      But two brawny strangers, wielding mallet and spear.

                      I said to myself, "We'll soon have them beat!"
                      Then I noticed ten warriors laid out at their feet.
                      I gave out a yell and leapt into the fray...
                      I'll always regret my poor choice of that day.

                      For the one laid his hammer to the side of my nose
                      And up, up, up to the rafters I rose.
                      Then came a lone frightened voice from the floor,
                      "Those are no mortal warriors -- that's Odin and Thor!"

                      Then they looked at each other and they said, "Battle's done.
                      Now they know who we are, it no longer is fun."
                      Then Thor raised his hammer, and his elbow he bent,
                      And with a loud crash, through the ceiling they went.

                      I crawled through the Hall and flung open the door,
                      Not really sure that I'd seen them before.
                      The snow bathed in starlight, the moon like a glede,
                      I saw them ride off on an eight-legged steed.

                      And I heard them exclaim,
                      'ere they flew out of sight,
                      "TO HELL WITH CHRISTMAS,
                      WE JUST LOVE A GOOD FIGHT!"

                      Conversation is really kinetic sculpture - jen

                      The stars rain down
                      the moon floats in my net
                      I'll bring heaven home tonight
                      and you'll be there
                      �2004JHT

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • Jason Alexander Hartbrook
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 20, 2004
                        Bravo! Definitely a Northshield poem! *wink*

                        -=Arsieu de Bordeaulx, Large Bard at Large=-
                      • jenny tavernier
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 22, 2004
                          Please forgive the bandwidth and please feel free to cross post!

                          I am pleased to announce that AmberWyvern Studios LLC will be releasing a new web based magazine on Monday January 3rd at Noon. "The Modern Minstrels Quarterly" will feature news, reviews, articles, tips, and anything else that is related to the Folk music scene and to music, song, dance, storytelling and other bardic arts within the SCA.

                          The reason for this missive is to solicit contributions, story ideas, news, information, reviews, etc. from the folks within the SCA and Folk music scene.

                          So if you want to contribute to this bold endeavor, please send your submissions to submissions@...

                          Also after Christmas, there will be a link on the AmberWyvern site
                          http://www.amberwyvernrecords.com  to subscribe.

                          Humbly in the Service of Song
                          Geoffrey Malachite of AmberWyvern, Tir Ysgithr
                          aka
                          Bill Bulman owner of AmberWvyern Studios LLC

                          (Bill is based in Aten - Az but planetary in scope!) Jen

                          ---------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 26, 2004
                            Fwd from Aten/Estrella Grand Ball - Sheet music (noteworthy) and midis of music for the ball - and for anyone else intersted - see steph's (milady blade) site below)  Jen

                            We are please to announce that Estrella War will once again be hosting
                            Grand Ball with live musicians.  Last year we hosted an inter-kingdom
                            musicians� gallery with participants from 5 different Kingdoms.  We�re
                            hoping to break that number this year!

                            For musicians who would like to participate, there will be an open
                            practice
                            Thursday evening at 7 PM in the A&S Pavilion.  The Grand Ball will be
                            Friday
                            night in the Grand Pavilion after any courts are done.

                            Music for the dance set is now available off the Estrella Special
                            Events
                            page or directly from:

                            http://home.comcast.net/~stephanie.maynard/

                            Please feel free to forward this post to appropriate lists.   We look
                            forward to seeing you at the Grand Ball.

                            Dame Selene O�Malley, Pel

                            PS - when you get to the actual music page, you will see icons for images if yours don't show - the last one of each set of squares is the midi for that tune -  Jen