RE: [SCA_BARDS] What ever happened to Christian mythology?

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 66 , Nov 8, 2004

      The only explanation that I can come up with is the whole "No Religion" rule in the SCA. (May not be a rule, just a custom...not sure)

      The policy on religion is in Corpora II.F under the Event section. I have quoted it here:

      F. Policy on Religion

      Having no wish to recreate the religious conflicts of the period under study, the Society shall neither

      establish nor prohibit any system of belief among its members. No one shall perform any religious or

      magical ceremony at a Society event (or in association with the name of the Society) in such a way as to

      imply that the ceremony is authorized, sponsored, or promulgated by the Society or to force anyone at a

      Society event, by direct or indirect pressure, to observe or join the ceremony. However, this provision is

      in no way intended to discourage the study of historical belief systems and their effects on the

      development of Western culture.

      Except as provided herein, neither the Society nor any member acting in its name or that of any of its

      parts shall interfere with any person’s lawful ceremonies, nor shall any member discriminate against

      another upon grounds related to either’s system of belief.”

      A lot of folks get nervous around religion due to the prohibition on the appearance of the Society officially supporting one religion or another and it is usually just avoided. Granted Christians get a worse reputation in the U.S. than other religions, especially in the Bible Belt area. It all depends on the story being presented and the audience listening to it.

      Eirik

      ---
      Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

      ---

    • L C Harmon Horner
      Message 66 of 66 , Jan 1, 2005
        What a shame! There are and were many cultures during the "Christian expansion" which mixed both the Christian and Non-Christian symbology and mythology. In fact, in at least the Irish, the Christian traditions which have come down the ages have helped to illustrate the little that it known about the pre-Christian culture. And the wonderful processions of the Italians, the Mexicans also have their roots in pre-Christian times. ANd the Unicorn tapestries housed in the Cloisters are replete with both pagan and Christian symbology- and many times it is the same symbol with similar meanings!

        I have an idea to intertwine Lykewake Dirge and Wayfaring Stranger and when I asked for help from a non- SCA musician who is also pagan, I got a rather angry response. I personally have mixed pagan and Christian symbology in short stories, including one about Christmas and both sides of Charon's coin (so to speak) responded equally- each seeing that of the tradition they believe.

        I read the words to the song mentioned below- such a lovely translation! The only comment I would have for anyone who took offense would be to point out that roses are also the symbolic flower of various goddesses, and for some Christian doctrine both modern and ancient, Mary is assigned the place of such similarly, and is also connected to the Trinity in the concept of Sophia- aka "the holy spirit/ghost". But then, I think knowledge is the key to tolerance. Literature, song, poetry- these are the bridges.

        Alais de Saint Germain en Laye

        >> Truth be told, I think the whole thing is a crying shame.
        >> There are songs and stories told in SCA (and in period) that
        >> are so filthy/scatalogical/offensive that I am embarrassed to
        >> hear them in mixed company (and I'm not a prude; I have been
        >> guilty of some pretty suggestive stuff myself).  Nobody
        >> blinks at that.  But I can't sing "Es ist ein Ros
        >> Entsprungen" without fear of the backlash.

        Faugh a Ballagh!

        Do you Yahoo!?