RE: [SCA_BARDS] New to SCA

  • KaziBrionSCA
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 12, 2004
      Killian wrote:

      > Glad to learn the gender bias is not so strong against female bards in
      the
      > SCA. I plan to make haste slowly and sort of ease my way in. I will
      be
      > attending an A&S competition (as one of the "populace") as my first
      SCA
      > event, and I hope to meet some musicians there.

      "Not so strong?" M'lady, if there is a bias out there it's probably in
      favor of female bards. But you'd be hard pressed to find one. The word you
      want is "nonexistent".

      Brion (proud husband of Kazi, one of the two Sylvan Bards of Aethelmearc -
      the other being Gwendolyn the Graceful)
    • KaziBrionSCA
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 12, 2004

        Greetings from Brion Enkazi and Michael Alewright, keepers of
        the "Bards-By-Day" and "Bards-By-Night" books that list Pennsic's
        bardic events. Please spread the word and send any entries
        you want listed to bardicbooks@.... We need time,
        date, location, and any brief description you'd care to have us
        include.

        YIS,

        The Authors

        P.S. Please forward this to all appropriate lists.

        Thanks again!

      • bradleighsimms@juno.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 12, 2004
          *grins* Huzzah to you! I'm in a wheelchair, so believe me, I'm
          interested! Though it's a long way up..... I'm in Denver (Caerthe) in the
          Outlands

          -- Arianna

          On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:52:14 +0000 "KILIAN METCALF" <1kilian@...>
          writes:
          > >From: bradleighsimms@...
          > >To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: [SCA_BARDS] New to SCA
          > >Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 00:49:46 -0600
          > >
          > >Welcome to the SCA!
          > >
          > >I'm Arianna (obviously a female name) and I am definitely playing a
          > bard.
          > >Of course, the fact that I bard irl for a living doesn't hurt. :)
          > >

          > Lucky you! I am a nurse IRL and play the harp for love. I am
          > working on a
          > healing music course through the Music for Healing and Transition
          > Program in
          > Tucson AZ (Tir Ysgithr) in the Kingdom of Atenveldt.
          >
          > Kilian+
          > 1kilian@...

          > --------------------~-->
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/PJ_qlB/TM

          > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Ivy Crane
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 12, 2004
            YaY! we like new ones...:D
            Lyllianne

            >From: "KILIAN METCALF" <1kilian@...>
            >To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [SCA_BARDS] New to SCA
            >Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 05:49:06 +0000
            >

            >Kilian+
            >1kilian@...
            >

            >Community email addresses:
            > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com
            >
            >Shortcut URL to this page:
            > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ivy Crane
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 12, 2004
              And one of the first bards in Ansteorra(kingdom) was Duchess Willow de Wisp.
              And many more....
              Lyllianne

              >From: "Randy Colby" <xzoomy@...>
              >To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Re: New to SCA
              >Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:05:26 -0000
              >
              >--- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "KILIAN METCALF" <1kilian@m...>
              >wrote:
              > > Kilian is a female name in my case, and I know that there weren't
              > > that many female bards, but I am hoping the Celtic approach to
              >equality of
              > > genders will stretch to allowing a female bard.
              > >
              > > Kilian Metcalf
              > > Tir Ysgithr
              > > 1kilian@m...
              >
              >Greetings and well met, My Lady:
              >
              > You may believe me whei I tell you there are many women who are
              >great bards in the SCA. The first two Windhover (Kingdom) Bards of
              >the Outlands were women, and the position was named in memory of one
              >of the greatest bards ever, Mistress Kyriel of Windhover Cliff.
              >
              >YHS
              >
              >THL Colb'an the Lutemaker
              >Pencerdd of Unser Hafen
              >

              >Community email addresses:
              > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com
              >
              >Shortcut URL to this page:
              > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • jenny tavernier
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 12, 2004
                Kilian - more comments on gender sensitive professions (I laughed when I saw your OK to be female?)

                If a bard, or musician, or whatall - I have found it more that you may choose any persona -
                but if you are of the bardic line - IT chooses you. -birds, beasts, trees humans, whatnot - it's in the blood and the very thought -- and beyond it - the very air you breathe . As far as gender goes, (LOL!) Bards are bards. man woman or rock. mummer, writer, mute -

                even dead or alive, doesn't make a difference!

                Many many welcomes
                Jenneth!
                bard of the picklebowl

                KILIAN METCALF <1kilian@...> wrote:
                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                click here

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Jay Meeks
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 12, 2004

                  none here in meridies either,

                       and in my  opinion  i'd rather hear a lady sing anyhow,  and  it is a little weird to hear a guy  sing a song from a girls prospective......  adn a hair creepy as well

                  thorfinn eriksonr,

                  dean of the meridian bardic college

                               "..................."
                                                 -Silent Bob

                  Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in Technology 101.
                • jenny tavernier
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 13, 2004

                    Jay Meeks <thorfinneriksonr@...> wrote:

                    none here in meridies either,

                         and in my  opinion  i'd rather hear a lady sing anyhow,  and  it is a little weird to hear a guy  sing a song from a girls prospective......  adn a hair creepy as well

                    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    ... as I lay him doon in a feather bed, all clasp-ed to my bosom ...

                    Jenneth - having witnessed some of those amazing moments - one where a caidan bard actually won a prize for keeping a straight face while he sang - and mimicked the motions -

                    By the way! Have you a link to the college?

                    Jen again -

                    thorfinn eriksonr,

                    dean of the meridian bardic college

                                 "..................."
                                                   -Silent Bob

                    Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in Technology 101.

                      Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Tori Tyson
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 14, 2004
                      I tii am looking into the bardic world, as a singer.  If your interested we could get together and put our heads together?

                      KILIAN METCALF <1kilian@...> wrote:
                      Glad to learn the gender bias is not so strong against female bards in the
                      SCA.  I plan to make haste slowly and sort of ease my way in.  I will be
                      attending an A&S competition (as one of the "populace") as my first SCA
                      event, and I hope to meet some musicians there.

                      Kilian+
                      1kilian@...

                      >From: "Simone U'Dunalingh" <simone@...>
                      >To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [SCA_BARDS] New to SCA
                      >Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:26:29 -0500
                      >
                      >I hope so to :-) It does my dear I am a ninth century Celt. and have been
                      >active inthe Bardic community for 12 years now ...Gesh it's been that long
                      >already...Time realy does fly when your having fun.
                      >
                      >nice thing about the SCA we are not so gender restrictive as the middle
                      >ages realy were. I am glad you are with us. Go out have fun with your
                      >music. Give yourself the time to get your bardic legs under yourself and
                      >you'll do great
                      >
                      >Simone
                      >one of dem der female bards
                      >

                      >On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 05:53:05 +0000, KILIAN METCALF <1kilian@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Thank you for approving my subscription to the Bards list. I am a new
                      > > member in SCA and have not yet attended any events. In corresponding
                      > > with a
                      > > current member, I was encouraged to find a smaller group within the
                      > > larger
                      > > group to get to know the organization a little better. I am working on
                      >my
                      > > persona and costume. Since I play the harp, I thought perhaps a bard
                      > > persona might be appropriate. I look forward to getting to know you all
                      > > better. Kilian is a female name in my case, and I know that there
                      >weren't
                      > > that many female bards, but I am hoping the Celtic approach to equality
                      > > of
                      > > genders will stretch to allowing a female bard.
                      > >
                      > > Kilian Metcalf
                      > > Tir Ysgithr
                      > > 1kilian@...
                      > >

                      > > Community email addresses:
                      > > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com
                      > > Subscribe: SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com
                      > >
                      > > Shortcut URL to this page:
                      > > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > >
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      >--
                      >When you focus on the Negitive that is all you see, when you forcus on the
                      >positive the world changes--
                      >
                      >To view story in progress go to http://Writing.Com/authors/kyiare
                      >

                      >Community email addresses:
                      >   Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com
                      >   Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com
                      >
                      >Shortcut URL to this page:
                      >   http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

                      Namaste,
                      Riverwind

                      As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord and Lady.

                      Do you Yahoo!?