RE: [SCA_BARDS] Digest Number 796

  • Janet Anderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
      How about this one?

      Dorigen

      OF HONOUR AND COURTESY: RIME ROYAL

      One came to me and said, What shall I wear?
      What rich and heavy silk, what linen fine?
      What cloth of gold, what furs both soft and rare,
      to show the world what wealth and rank are mine?
      And in what setting shall my jewels shine,
      and what medallion, yea, what coronet
      or golden chain shall make me fairer yet?

      To that dear friend I gently did reply,
      How fair the cloth of gold, the silk how bright!
      Your jewels gleam like starlight in the sky;
      none dare deny you make a splendid sight,
      I least of all, for gladly I delight
      to see you fair, and hear you justly praised,
      your beauty's song by voices sweetly raised.

      But if you ask what raiment I admire
      above all others, I must answer true:
      not silk nor furs nor gems do I desire
      to deck myself, nor for adorning you:
      for garments fine, and jewels red and blue,
      I would forsake this moment willingly
      to get me Honour, and for Courtesy.

      There is no crown with Honour may compare,
      and she who bears it is herself a Queen,
      though she wear peasant garb in place of vair,
      though little she be praised, and seldom seen.
      No chain of office equals it, I ween,
      nor fair medallion, nor a knightly helm,
      nor any rank or title in this realm.

      And if you go attired in Courtesy,
      and gentleness and kindness do display,
      then all will know you come of high degree,
      who are adorned in such a royal way:
      for Kings and Queens are robed in rich array
      of Courtesy, their duty and their right;
      so must you be, who follow in their light.

      Therefore, dear friend, if Honour you possess,
      and if with Courtesy you come and go,
      you stand attired in gracious loveliness,
      more pleasing to the hearts of high and low
      than any rank that others may bestow --
      most rare, most fair, and valued more than gold
      by wisdom's eye, that clearly can behold.

      Dorigen of the Grey Gate

      (Pikestaff, Arts and Sciences Supplement, December 1993)

      * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      * * * * * *
      If you are reading this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in
      English, thank a soldier.
      Attrib. General Hawley

      a trip to NY
    • Janet Anderson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
        >Message: 6
        > Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:52:28 -0500
        > From: "Drew" <drew@...>
        >Subject: RE: Looking for material that would help newcomers with courtesy
        >and chivalry
        >
        >I wrote this, in response to the most clear cut display of honor and
        >chivalry I've ever seen.

        *snip and archive*

        That's *wonderful.* It has music, right? Will you be at Pennsic?

        Dorigen

        * * * * * * * * * * * * *
        * * * * * *
        If you are reading this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in
        English, thank a soldier.
        Attrib. General Hawley

      • Drew
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004

          > >Message: 6
          > > Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:52:28 -0500
          > > From: "Drew" <drew@...>
          > >Subject: RE: Looking for material that would help newcomers with
          > >courtesy and chivalry
          > >
          > >I wrote this, in response to the most clear cut display of honor and
          > >chivalry I've ever seen.
          >
          > *snip and archive*
          >
          > That's *wonderful.* It has music, right? Will you be at Pennsic?

          Thank you!

          Actually, it's a spoken poem. I've never been able to write music for it,
          and it was a huge emotional effort to write it in the first place; with lots
          of interviews and rewrites, because it was very important to me that
          everything was presented properly. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be
          happy to entertain them.

          I will be at Pennsic, camping in Cogniseti, which is between EastRealm
          encampment and the Bath House, I believe, from the Friday before War Week
          through the end of War. I'd happily perform it for people if you like.

          in service and in song,

          Andrew the Purple
          Warder, Company of the Bronze Ring
          Die fechtenden Naehenfroesche
          Minstrel, Fencer, Bearward and Player (and INSTIGATOR) (the ACTE of 1598)
          "Passion is my sword, Goodness is my armour, Humour is my shield."
          "At any given moment life is completely senseless. But viewed over a period,
          it seems to reveal itself as an organism existing in time, having a purpose,
          tending in a certain direction." -Aldous Huxley
        • culfre2003
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
            Oh, many, many thanks! 'Tis wonderful and stirring for my soul.

            I shall contact you again in a short while after I have a little
            powwow with my mentor as to an idea perculating through my caffiene
            addled brain..

            Thank you ever so,

            Culfre
            --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Anderson" <dorigen@h...>

          • Ashley Marina
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
              The person you are writing to is no longer employed here. Please do not write to this address anymore. Thank you!

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
                The person you were writing to at this address is no longer employed here. Please do not write to this e-mail address anymore. Thank you!
                > >I wrote this, in response to the most clear cut display of honor and
                > >chivalry I've ever seen.
                >
                > *snip and archive*
                >
                > That's *wonderful.*  It has music, right?  Will you be at Pennsic?

                Thank you!

                Actually, it's a spoken poem.  I've never been able to write music for it,
                and it was a huge emotional effort to write it in the first place; with lots
                of interviews and rewrites, because it was very important to me that
                everything was presented properly.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be
                happy to entertain them.

                I will be at Pennsic, camping in Cogniseti, which is between EastRealm
                encampment and the Bath House, I believe, from the Friday before War Week
                through the end of War.  I'd happily perform it for people if you like.

                in service and in song,

                Andrew the Purple
                Warder, Company of the Bronze Ring
                Die fechtenden Naehenfroesche
                Minstrel, Fencer, Bearward and Player (and INSTIGATOR) (the ACTE of 1598)
                "Passion is my sword, Goodness is my armour, Humour is my shield."
                "At any given moment life is completely senseless. But viewed over a period,
                it seems to reveal itself as an organism existing in time, having a purpose,
                tending in a certain direction." -Aldous Huxley

                  Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

              • Azure
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
                  An employee must have previously subscribed to
                  this newsletter.

                  In order NOT TO RECEIVE further emails from this
                  discussion board, you must email to this address:

                  and we recommend you type 'Unsubscribe' in the
                  subject line.

                  We apologize for any inconvenience.

                  The Bards

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • jenny tavernier
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
                    Dear All a note which might prove helpful to scritch-scritching!!! (when no midi fac.)

                    There is a program accessible on the net called "rite mail"

                    it is a handwritten/graphics email program - free test - Your own handwritting and scribbles -
                    I beta-tested it a couple of years ago. It was a gas!!!!!! - only 10% of those I sent too couldn't open it easier.  We are now light years ahead techwise (even if the computer is ancient - the web has gained, and there are plug-ins) I had a 486 at the time - with a modem and almost no ram to speak of.

                    It was perfect for the application of notes, drawing to illustrate a point, AND for MANUSCRIPTING
                    MUSIC (You can get facile  with a mouse!)
                    I was in their gallery with doodles and manuscript - CHECK  OUT  this program!!!!

                    I am not pushing/selling - haven't used it for awhile - (moving, noone could read music where I was, etc. but had no midi fac. either)

                    search RiteMail,   ritemail+graphics - etc.

                    My first thought was that this is perfect for bards, music and music collaborators

                    Jenneth, Bard of the PickleBowl

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • jenny tavernier
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
                      Dorigen!!!
                      (Laughing!)

                      I don't suppose you would mind if there were those of us who wanted to submit some music for this, would you? Do you have midi/soundcard?

                      What say Bards? for those of us with music inclination, would we be glad to lend our talents where needed? (with the author as chooser) (or snail mail and handwrit)

                      Jenneth-all falling over the PickleBowl!

                      (or any bard who might wish a simple tune either transcribed from - (to sheet music, or just is without a current musical knack)
                      Janet Anderson <dorigen@...> wrote:
[...]

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 29, 2004
                        Figures. First person on the list to say they like the piece, and they get
                        canned! :P

                        purple
                        ----
                        "Every great scientific truth goes through three states: First, people say
                        it conflicts with the Bible; next, they say it has been discovered before;
                        lastly, they say they always believed it." -- Louis Agassiz