Re: [SCA_BARDS] Thank you very much

  • Sigmund Hewett
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2000
      > "Try" being the operative word, I believe....Actually, Gwenllian has more
      > than carried her weight on occasion, as well. Mostly back-up, but hey! The
      > more help we can get, the better, right?

      Speaking of backup, I have just finished the initial draft of an excellent filk
      currently titled 'Balthazar, Royal Pain'... We should get in some practice
      soon..

      Sigmund Malovich
      If all the world is a stage,
      where does the audience sit?
      siggy@...
      ICQ 68707552
    • cblackwill@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2000
        In a message dated 6/5/00 11:45:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        siggy@... writes:

        > Speaking of backup, I have just finished the initial draft of an excellent
        > filk
        > currently titled 'Balthazar, Royal Pain'... We should get in some practice
        > soon..

        This proves to be juicy...lyrics, please? Tune?

        Balthazar of Blackmoor

        Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?
      • Jross007@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6, 2000
          In a message dated 06/06/2000 12:45:40 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
          siggy@... writes:

          > Speaking of backup, I have just finished the initial draft of an excellent
          > filk
          > currently titled 'Balthazar, Royal Pain'... We should get in some practice
          > soon..
          >
          > Sigmund Malovich

          Just be careful which Balthazaar you make the point of the song<G> :P

          Eoin Maclulich AKA Balthazaar Blackshadow of Bronzehelm
        • Sigmund Hewett
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 6, 2000
            On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, you wrote:
            > In a message dated 6/5/00 11:45:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            > siggy@... writes:
            >
            > > Speaking of backup, I have just finished the initial draft of an excellent
            > > filk
            > > currently titled 'Balthazar, Royal Pain'... We should get in some practice
            > > soon..
            >
            > This proves to be juicy...lyrics, please? Tune?

            The tune you already know, King of Pain by the Police...
            Problem with this one was not what write, but what to put in...
            I wish I had the same problem with my other project,
            'One War by the Bare Naked Wenches'
            That one is coming along slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly

            Sigmund Malovich

            If all the world is a stage,
            where does the audience sit?
            siggy@...
            ICQ 68707552
          • OCeallachain@juno.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 7, 2000
              > On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, you wrote:
              > > In a message dated 6/5/00 11:45:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              > > siggy@... writes:
              > >
              > > > Speaking of backup, I have just finished the initial draft of an
              > excellent
              > > > filk
              > > > currently titled 'Balthazar, Royal Pain'... We should get in
              > some practice
              > > > soon..
              > >
              > > This proves to be juicy...lyrics, please? Tune?
              > >
              > The tune you already know, King of Pain by the Police...
              > Problem with this one was not what write, but what to put in...
              > I wish I had the same problem with my other project,
              > 'One War by the Bare Naked Wenches'
              > That one is coming along slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly
              >
              > Sigmund Malovich

              Respectfully regret to inform you... a filk to that tune has already been
              done by one of the local bards here in Tir Ysgithr. Called 'Two Months'
              (referencing the time between winning crown and taking the thrones).
              Tonis von Driele is the
              (ir)responsible party. Not that you should stop; just thought you might
              like to know it's been done.

              The MSOB performs it at full speed, too...

              Shade and sweet water,
              Daithi O Ceallachain

              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • Sigmund Hewett
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 7, 2000
                > Respectfully regret to inform you... a filk to that tune has already been
                > done by one of the local bards here in Tir Ysgithr. Called 'Two Months'
                > (referencing the time between winning crown and taking the thrones).
                > Tonis von Driele is the
                > (ir)responsible party. Not that you should stop; just thought you might
                > like to know it's been done.
                >
                > The MSOB performs it at full speed, too...

                I'll slog away at it in my spare time still.. I don't do all that many filks,
                and this one would be mainly for the general amusement of my household..
                I really only spend lasting time on my own songs, as filks (for me) either
                come in a flash, or they're what I call 'vampire ideas' (being they turn to
                dust by light of day)..
                Doing a song at that tempo isn't really that hard.. One of my staples I have
                to slow down, and even then when Blackrune learnt the words they did it at half
                tempo again.. The trick is to practice the phrases slowly and increase your
                speed until you can rattle them off like lightning, leaving others tripping
                over the words. To make matters worse I like writing songs that are
                deliberately hard to say, and then do nasty things like.... no chorus

                Why? No real reason, I just have a dark sense of humor, and watching a bunch of
                people whose tongues are already thick with the devil grog trip over words just
                tickles my funny bone :P

                Sigmund Malovich.

                If all the world is a stage,
                where does the audience sit?
                siggy@...
                ICQ 68707552
              • OCeallachain@juno.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 20, 2000
                  > --- Lethann ingen Aeda <lethann@...> wrote:
                  > > If you haven't already stumbled across this site, try Cantaria at
                  > > http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/index.html
                  > >
                  > > they also have various links there. ALso I know one of the more
                  > poplar
                  > > bards of the Society has his Black Book of Songs avaliable for
                  > download
                  > > and printing. I don't have the URL with me but I can post it.
                  >
                  > Also check out http://members.xoom.com/meridianbard/ - the
                  > Meridian
                  > Bardic College. On the resource page there are links to Cantaria,
                  > the
                  > Black Book of Locksley, and other sources.
                  >
                  > Cellach Cosnocht mac C��in, Rogue Herald
                  > Barony of the South Downs, Meridies

                  Direct link to the Black Book: http://members.tripod.com/~blackb00k/.

                  For folk and traditional music, try http://www/mudcat.org - The Mudcat
                  Cafe, home of the Digital Tradition database.

                  Seppo J. Niemi is a Finn who's crazy about Ireland. He keeps a fair
                  amount of Irish music at http://ameba.lpt.fi/~zaphod/irish.

                  A lot of this material may not be period, but I point it out in case
                  anyone enjoys these kinds of music.