My apologies

  • Cormac
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2004
      My apologies for not signing the previous message, that's what happens when
      you hit the "send" button to quickly.

      Cormac MacMichael

      Nolites te bastardes carborundorum.
    • GYPSYDANCER@prodigy.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
        If any of your friends tried to join the group this past month, and
        didn't get added quickly enough, their application would have
        expired. (Don't you just love that new Yahoo feature). There was a
        death in my family and I was out of town. My sincere apologies.
      • Wentliana Dracobryne Eiriksdottir
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
          Hello everyone again!

          I just wanted to apologize if I sounded like a complete competitive,
          big -headed freak. I was under the impression for a while that things
          like the laurel and other awards and recognitions are something to
          actually intentionally work and compete for. Now I realize that
          that's not how it works, which, I know is what all of you were trying
          to tell me - hence, I apologize for not listening.

          I just went to my first event this past weekend. Since I didn't know
          too many people, I spent a great deal of time just watching and taking
          things in. I was very impressed with how things are run, and how
          service to the society is approached. I saw how it was not about
          "what can the society do for me" but about "what can I do for the
          society".

          With that said, any further advice on how to get involved in the
          bardic arts? I fight a lot, and I love it, however, I feel like I
          should be spending more time with my primary interest, which is music
          and poetry. Basically, how can I ask to play at an event? What is
          appropriate for various events?

          Once again, thank you for your advice, and keep in touch :)
        • Michael B. Greenstein
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
            >I just wanted to apologize if I sounded like a complete competitive,
            >big -headed freak.

            Bah. And "Bah" I say, again. There is no need for apologies, although the sentiment becomes you. You sounded like an enthusiastic new SCAdian, which is no bad thing! Welcome home.

            >I saw how it was not about
            >"what can the society do for me" but about "what can I do for the
            >society".

            The real magic is, the latter *becomes* the former.

            >With that said, any further advice on how to get involved in the
            >bardic arts? I fight a lot, and I love it, however, I feel like I
            >should be spending more time with my primary interest, which is music
            >and poetry. Basically, how can I ask to play at an event? What is
            >appropriate for various events?

            That's a tough one to answer, since it depends on the nature of the event, the prevailing atmosphere, and the culture of the region.

            In terms of poetry, there are a few places you might start. A good start might be to submit pieces to your local newsletter, and perhaps start purpose-writing them to commemorate occasions, celebrate worthy doings, or suit the appropriate time of year. Doing that will get your work out there, make you apply yourself to your art, and begin building an SCA-relevant repertoire.

            Does your Kingdom have an active bardic community, and/or a Bardic College d-list? Getting to know your local colleagues is a great way to make new friends, and "hook in" to the existing community. Some events have bardic circles or other performance opportunities, and your other local bards can tell you what works for them. If your Kingdom is especially fortunate, you have a Kingdom bardic champion; not only might that person be able to advise you, but you will have an opportunity to attend your Kingdom's bardic championship and see how things go.

            At an event, there is nothing wrong -- and much right -- with setting up in a corner and playing an instrument, provided you understand that you're making background atmosphere rather than stopping the event. Do that a few times, and you may well find that this is a great way to meet people. There might be a local instrumental ensemble you can join.

            You fight as well as perform... make that work for you. Write pieces suitable for fighters heading to battle.

            These are just a few possibilities. I'm sure others will come up with more! The bottom line for you is to make new friends, enjoy yourself, and keep your eyes open as to how the culture works; by understanding it, you will probably come up with your own ideas as to how to enhance it with your art.

            - Michael
          • Lisa Harmon
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
              There are various ways to get involved in the bardic arts especially with your two interests. You'll need to network with your geographical area to find what opportunities are available and what can be made.
              For poetry, you'll need to work through period styles of poetry- it's not all sonnets and rondeaus. Read it, practice writing it. Perform it. Read some more. Reading and speaking period forms are a good way to develop an ear and get a feel for the verbal patterns- but also realize these are translations into English for the most part. Each language doesn't always translate well into another language. I've written in Spanish and English a couple of time outside of SCA. It's tough sometimes. For example "Nevermore" from Poe's The Raven has no translation ready to hand.
              There are various places you can submit it for publication- check out newsletters of your various local groups- I have found you don't have to belong to that particular group for them to accept your work. See what their requirements are- some insist on period while others are happy with suitable themes. A small blurb about the period form is good to submit with it- nothing elaborate- just like this based on the Saxon style of catalog riddle poem prevalent in the 10Th Century England or whatever. Short is good for publications, too. And develop a variety of styles as you go. And even though it is for SCA doesn't;t mean personal or modern things can;t be translated into period terms. I have a syndrome which was the inspiration of a Kyrie-style poem. And don't forget your kingdom newsletter. And always speak your poems even if they are intended to be read. What is great to read is not always great to perform.
              And don't be afraid to add poems to your performance repertoire. Since you also have an interest in music, many forms in period are meant to be accompanied by some form of music or percussion. In the 70's some poetry was used in this manner and were hits. Knights in White Satin comes to mind.
              Depending on where your skills are in music, see what periods are already applicable and see what instruments you can pick up. Not everyone who plays an instrument can sing and vice versa. But even learning to do some simple accompaniment for your own devious plans is good. Build a set of 15 minutes to start of a variety of music and enlarge upon that as you go. And if you pick some old chestnut that everyone does, you can make it your own. Some OOP (out of period) songs I sing for my own amusement I many times leave out the chorus except at points- like Red is the Rose I do this way. But most of all find your style- quiet and focused? Playing to the audience? In between?

              And try other period performing art forms when you can. Try acting in a French Farce for a feast entertainment. Take a workshop in juggling in period. Period dance to feel how they used the music for that. Learn a bit about stagecraft- how to move on stage, what areas are the best for what audience response. Why motley may not be a great choice to sing something solemn. Even if you don't do anything more than try it, it will enrich your skill set.

              A lot of places will have competitions for events or for bardic championships. You may not have a lot of time to prepare, but developing a varied stock in trade is good for most of the competition. Most want three pieces that I have seen- a period is always one and many want an original. This could be a contrafact (fitting new words to existing music in the manner of a filk) so your poetry skills come into play. And not all of them want music, music, music.

              Develop a network of people you can trust to tell you you suck. While flattery is good for the ego, for the serious performer it can be a hindrance to your development. And don't make them all experts. Getting the opinion of Joe Smoeh is just as good to have as Joe College. There are more Smoehs out there to whom you will be performing and if they don't get it...... then when you play in an open stage or merchant set-up you'll lose your audience. Feet will shuffle, noses will sniff. Throats will cough. Programs will fan. Whispers willl be heard. Ah the sounds of a disinterested audience!

              And don't worry about doing everything at once. There are cycles in the bardic arts and what is popular now in your area will change. And most of all, enjoy the process. If you don't enjoy it, it will bleed through the performance.

              alais

              Wentliana Dracobryne Eiriksdottir <wenthelen271@...> wrote:
[...]

              Subscribe: SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:SCA_BARDS-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:SCA_BARDS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Where Lions and Tigers and Bears (and more!) become your "Beary Dear Friends" for life!

              Building a website is a piece of cake.

            • mal
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2007
                From: "Wentliana Dracobryne Eiriksdottir" <wenthelen271@...>

                > With that said, any further advice on how to get involved in the
                > bardic arts?

                Come to Diamond wars next weekend! www.diamondwars.smallgraybear.com
                (North Central Arkansas, in Viola is the war location)

                We are having classes on beginning recorder, basic Elizabethan sonnets,
                Anglo-Saxon poetry, SCA drumming, and Bardic 101, as well as a round table
                discussion on what it means to be a bard in the SCA, Cantiga Jam sessions,
                and bardic circles both Friday and Saturday, competitions and challenges....

                Melandra of the Woods
              • Sue Gilbert
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2013
                  My apologies that there wasn't a subject attached to my last email. I'm just too excited that we can finally open up registration. Subject line should have been:

                  Registrati on is now open for Known World Bardic Congress and Cooks Collegium VII

                  I remain, in service to the Northshield, our Society, and most of all, to the populace~~

                  justShava®
                  Elashava bas Riva, CL, CP,
                  (mka Sue Gilbert) 3314 Ridgeway Ave. Madison, WI 53704 phone: 608.244.2845; cell 608.213.1107