CHILD BALLADS Named After Francis Child

  • hatshepsut42@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
      Child Ballads are named after a Harvard Professor in the mid 1850's who cataloged several hundred British/Celtic Folk songs that has been described as the most complete and important works of this kind of Western Folk music ever.   I have been singing Child Ballads and others for almost 40 years now and love them.  Child Ballads, Broadside Ballads, Black Letter Ballads, Chapbooks, Garlands, Stall Sheets and White Letter Ballads are all Folk Songs, with no known authors that told of the life during historic times.  Scarborough Faire (a version of the Elfin King), Barbara Allen, Greensleeves, all examples of part of these collections.   Leza aka Nzingha, The Moor Of Dundee.   www.moorofdundee.com
      And join us in Dallas, at Scarborough Renaissance Festival.  www.scarboroughrenfaire.com

    • Melissa Kelly
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2004
        They're calling it Scarborough Renaissance Festival now! ?  When I was a kid in Dallas (about 10-15 years ago) it was actually called Scarborough Faire.

        Boy that brings back memories.  Do they still sell fried ice cream there? (Snicker--it's only Medival/Renaissance to the Indians/Mexicans, but still yummy)

        Viola

        hatshepsut42@... wrote:
        And join us in Dallas, at Scarborough Renaissance Festival.  www.scarboroughrenfaire.com

        "Whoever has good material for a story is grieved if the tale is not well told." Marie de France

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Brad Boda d'Aylward
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2004
          I went to the link below and ended up at this one. WOW. Lots.

          http://www.faire.net/SCRIBE/archives/Music.Htm

          Brad

          Subject: [SCA_BARDS] CHILD BALLADS Named After Francis Child