How to...

  • ZEL aka Sapphira
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2000
      Does anyone have any tips on memorizing poetry or stories? I found
      out really quickly that when a bardic circle is around a campfire,
      even notes are hard to read, so I better start memorizing my
      favorites.
    • Kelley Munro
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2000
        At 08:58 PM 12/4/00 +0000, you wrote:
        >Does anyone have any tips on memorizing poetry or stories? I found
        >out really quickly that when a bardic circle is around a campfire,
        >even notes are hard to read, so I better start memorizing my
        >favorites.

        I just repeat it in my head over and over and over and... Well you get the idea. ;) I tend to do it maybe just a verse at time, that way breaking up into less daunting pieces.

        Ealasaid Inghean Domnaill
        Also know by some as Ealaisaid the Blue (Thank you Marten)
        mka: Kelley Munro
        elisaid@...
        http://elisaid.antir.com (Household)
        http://elisaid.antir.com/elisaid (personal)

        A pencil without lead could be considered pointless.

        Psychiatry: The care of the id by the odd.
        ---Anon
      • sunshinegirl
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2000
          > Does anyone have any tips on memorizing poetry or stories? I found
          > out really quickly that when a bardic circle is around a campfire,
          > even notes are hard to read, so I better start memorizing my
          > favorites.

          Read them over and over, both to yourself, and outloud. Tape them and
          listen to the tape. Write them out.

          If you do all three, you will be engaging all three learning modalities,
          visual, aural, and kinesthetic, and will be more likely to retain more
          information....

          Melandra, putting away her grad school notes on education now...
        • Thaddaeus A. Vick
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2000
            --- ZEL aka Sapphira <GypsyProductions@...> wrote:
            > Does anyone have any tips on memorizing poetry or stories? I found
            > out really quickly that when a bardic circle is around a campfire,
            > even notes are hard to read, so I better start memorizing my
            > favorites.

            I carry my bardic book with me to work, and in the car on any
            trip over twenty minutes. At work, I'm known as "that weird guy who
            sings the songs about drunk people killing each other", but I can do
            over fifty songs from memory. :)

            Cellach Cosnocht mac C��in, Rogue Herald
            Barony of the South Downs, Meridies

            =====
            Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses Email: ThaddaeusV@...
            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          • David Salley
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5, 2000
              --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, "ZEL aka Sapphira"
              <GypsyProductions@y...> wrote:
              > Does anyone have any tips on memorizing poetry or stories? I found
              > out really quickly that when a bardic circle is around a campfire,
              > even notes are hard to read, so I better start memorizing my
              > favorites.

              This sounds oddball but it works!
              If you're memorizing poetry, start by memorizing the LAST verse.
              When you've got it cold, then memorize the SECOND to LAST verse, and
              so on until you get to the first verse. This way when you practice
              recitation, you're always ending on material you already know. It
              makes it easier to memorize long poems.

              I learned this trick from a non-fiction book called "Lads Before the
              Wind" an auto-biography of a dolphin trainer. When they teach a
              dolphin to go through a series of hoops, they start with the last
              hoop. He casually mentioned that he uses the technique himself to
              learn poetry. I tried it, he's right!
            • mrenata@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 2000
                Yes, good advice. This is also how they teach pigeons, or any animal
                really, how to perform complicated tasks. This will prevent that
                awful "good start but stalled in the middle" problem. And be sure
                you do it out loud whenever possible, otherwise you will sound silly
                to yourself when you try to make the switch from subvocal to vocal
                recitation.

                It is amazing what you learn in Psychology!

                Medb Renata

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 6, 2000
                  Thanks for the great tips everyone. I hate to admit it, but I tried
                  to memorize a poem while driving to Pennsic from CA, and I never did
                  get it down pat. The last verse first thing sounds like a winner.
                  I'll have to try that. --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, mrenata@e...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 6, 2000
                    --- ZEL aka Sapphira <GypsyProductions@...> wrote:
                    > Thanks for the great tips everyone. I hate to admit it, but I tried
                    > to memorize a poem while driving to Pennsic from CA, and I never did
                    > get it down pat. The last verse first thing sounds like a winner.

                    Another thing that helps is practice. The memory is like a muscle,
                    the more it is exercised, the stronger it gets. When I first started,
                    I needed a couple of weeks to get one short song. Now, I can memorize
                    a 12-verse ballad in a few hours. I have begun to understand how the
                    bards of Ireland could carry the entire literary, legal and genealogical
                    knowledge of their civilization in their heads.

                    Cellach Cosnocht mac C��in, Rogue Herald
                    Barony of the South Downs, Meridies

                    =====
                    Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses Email: ThaddaeusV@...
                    http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                  • Killer Piper
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 6, 2000
                      Hi,

                      I would like to confess that I cheat. I do not memorize songs, but rather
                      print them out in bold off the computer single sided. I then hold the back
                      of the sheet to the fire and it is magically lit up through the paper. I
                      have tried memorizing songs, and in fact have many in my mind... that is
                      until I get in front of people then magically I forget the words. I have
                      practiced and practiced, but I just get too nervous. Try memorizing the
                      songs, but the extra security of having the words available is great.

                      Kaitlyn
                    • Brenna
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 7, 2000
                        > I would like to confess that I cheat. I do not memorize songs, but rather
                        > print them out in bold off the computer single sided. I then hold the back
                        > of the sheet to the fire and it is magically lit up through the paper. I
                        > have tried memorizing songs, and in fact have many in my mind... that is
                        > until I get in front of people then magically I forget the words. I have
                        > practiced and practiced, but I just get too nervous. Try memorizing the
                        > songs, but the extra security of having the words available is great.
                        >
                        > Kaitlyn

                        I am the opposite. I can memorize the songs, but I can't memorize my poetry to save my
                        life. Maybe it's the beat of the music??

                        Brenna
                      • Dimitri
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 12, 2000
                          --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, "Killer Piper" <killerpiper@h...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I would like to confess that I cheat. I do not memorize songs, but
                          rather
                          > print them out in bold off the computer single sided. I then hold
                          the back
                          > of the sheet to the fire and it is magically lit up through the
                          paper. I
                          > have tried memorizing songs, and in fact have many in my mind...
                          that is
                          > until I get in front of people then magically I forget the words.
                          I have
                          > practiced and practiced, but I just get too nervous. Try
                          memorizing the
                          > songs, but the extra security of having the words available is
                          great.

                          Hi!

                          I'm just starting out pursuing the life Bardic and would appreciate
                          any information that I can find as to songs and/or stories. I'm sure
                          that if I can get a start I would be able to quickly amass my own
                          collection.

                          Thank you in advance.

                          Andreas Nicolopulos, spice merchant and aspiring Bard of the Middle
                          Kingdom

                          _______________
                          http://explorer.msn.com
                        • sunshinegirl
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 14, 2000
                            From: Dimitri <jclunie@...>
                            > I'm just starting out pursuing the life Bardic and would appreciate
                            > any information that I can find as to songs and/or stories. I'm sure
                            > that if I can get a start I would be able to quickly amass my own
                            > collection.
                            >
                            > Thank you in advance.
                            >
                            > Andreas Nicolopulos, spice merchant and aspiring Bard of the Middle
                            > Kingdom

                            www.locksley.com
                            has links to several good sites, including digital tradition, which is a
                            searchable database of folk songs, many of which have tunes available to
                            listen to.

                            There are a number of good web sites - do a search for folk songs or
                            traditional songs and you'll find some...

                            Melandra