RE: [SCA_BARDS] Kingdom Songs

  • Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 31, 2004
      Forwarded to the Outlands bardic list!

      Safya
      -----Original Message-----
      From: ladysiobhan@... [mailto:ladysiobhan@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 12:04 PM
      To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Kingdom Songs

      Dia duit and greetings, musical cousins!

      I need your help.
    • Anna von Silvenhain
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
        and to the Drachenwald-bardic-list

        Anna

        --- "Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)"
        <savya@...> schrieb: > Forwarded to the
        Outlands bardic list!

        > Safya

        =====
        Anna von Silvenhain
        Chatelaine
        Shire of Two Seas
        www.silvenhain.de.vu

        Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail - http://mail.yahoo.de
      • Dr. Shelley Rabinovitch
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
          1) As much as I'd like to say that my "Polestar" ("Follow the Polestar") was
          our Kingdom's anthem, without a doubt Ealdormere marches first and best to
          "Rise!" by Master Eiuchinn, known to most as Master Hector of the Black
          Height.

          2) Speaking as a former resident, for Atenveldt you're going to find folks
          torn. Young'uns would say "Atenveldtus Glorious" by Duchess Varia (to a
          traditional tune); the old timers like me and Master Ioseph will speak
          loudly for "Flower of the Desert" by Master Baldwin of Erebor. That one's a
          toss-up.

          TSivia bas Tamara, Ealdormere
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
            Forwarded to EKBards, the East Kingdom bardic list.

            In Service,
            Katherine Ashewode

            on 3/31/04 2:03 PM, ladysiobhan@... at ladysiobhan@...
            wrote:

            > Dia duit and greetings, musical cousins!
            >
            > I need your help.
            >
            > I have recently set myself on a quest to find an "anthem" song for each of the
            > 17 kingdoms so that if my Queen allows me I might perform them at a Royals'
            > gathering at Pennsic. Actually, if there are any performers from Northshield
            > here please consider yourself included in my request.
            >
            > Please suggest songs you think best represent your kingdom and its people,
            > that are recognizable and popular if possible. If you have the music and the
            > words, please send them along. I have Noteworthy Composer and I can read .pdf
            > format easily.
            >
            > Please feel free to pass this request on to local bardic lists. Thank you
            > all; I don't think I'll be able to complete my quest without you. Share your
            >
            > Let's sing of other lands and places!
            >
            > Lady Siobhan inghean ui Dhonnabhain
            > Eastern Queen's Bard
            >
            > --
            > Iron Bog - The Shire, The State of Mind
            >

            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com

            > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Stephen R. Melvin
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
              Rathflaed DuNoir
              The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB

              Atlantia - Fair Lady Atlantia, by Master Efenwealt Wystle - www.angevintreasures.com/wystle/
              Trimaris - Anthem, by Mistress Varina - www.seamarch.org/web/takenote.htm
              Ansteorra - The Rising of the Star - www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/2883/rising.html
              An Tir - The Brave and Bonny Host - (Any An Tir Songbook :) )
              Calontir - Traditionally, this has been the Song of the Shield Wall, bu Mistress Malkin the Gray
              Caid - Let me rest in fair Caid, available on Caidian Bardic Tape 1
              West - ??
              East - ??
              Midrealm - ??
              Outlands - (There's one I heard at Estrella a few years back, but have not been able to track it down)
              Artemesia - ??
              Drachenwald - ??

              And I don't have any of the newest kingdoms.

                            MERIDIES

                               by Rathflaed DuNoir
                                  The Black Bard of Meridies

                              D                                        A
                       In the ember's red glow, when the fires burn low,
                            G                       A
                       My thoughts turn to places I've roamed.
                                        D                                            A
                       Though my journey's been long, there's one thing keeps me strong,
                                      G                  A             D
                       That's the thought of the land I call home.

                       Where the forests are green, and fair people are seen,
                       Good folk for miles around.
                       Simply ask what you need and there you'll receive,
                       For the fruits of my homeland abound.

                       Chorus:
                            A                                 G
                       And though I've roamed far, following my star,
                                  D                                      A
                       You've been in my thoughts all my days,
                             D                                  G
                       For wherever I've roamed, so far from my home,
                              A               G  D
                       My heart's in Meridies.

                       Up from Arenal Shire, where the ocean rolls higher,
                       Southdowns across to Axemoor,
                       You'll find fighters so bold, and great stories are told,
                       Of the ladies with beauty and more.

                       The Arts, they're not bad, the finest mead I have had,
                       Iron Mountain, you have all I wish.
                       And the service, tis true, tis better than the brew.
                       From the Salt Keep way up to Grey Niche.

                       Chorus:

                       You'll find Chivalry rare, and ladies so fair,
                       With a smile that can turn gray skies blue.
                       Such ladies galore and if fortune is yours,
                       Perhaps one will smile at you.

                       Now I must be gone and far shall I roam,
                       From mountains to valleys to sea,
                       But for all of my days, my heart's Meridies,
                       And perhaps one will smile at me.

                       Chorus:

            • Stephen R. Melvin
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                Or "Aten Man" by Master Ioseph.  (I knew I forgot one!)

                -Rathflaed
                1) As much as I'd like to say that my "Polestar" ("Follow the Polestar") was
                our Kingdom's anthem, without a doubt Ealdormere marches first and best to
                "Rise!" by Master Eiuchinn, known to most as Master Hector of the Black
                Height.

                2) Speaking as a former resident, for Atenveldt you're going to find folks
                torn.  Young'uns would say "Atenveldtus Glorious" by Duchess Varia (to a
                traditional tune); the old timers like me and Master Ioseph will speak
                loudly for "Flower of the Desert" by Master Baldwin of Erebor.  That one's a
                toss-up.

                TSivia bas Tamara, Ealdormere

                  Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

              • Steve Pierce
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                  At 12:24 PM 4/1/2004, you wrote:

                  >Rathflaed DuNoir
                  >The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB
                  ><http://www.chivalry.com/blackbard/>http://www.chivalry.com/blackbard/
                  >
                  >Atlantia - Fair Lady Atlantia, by Master Efenwealt Wystle -
                  ><http://www.angevintreasures.com/wystle/>www.angevintreasures.com/wystle/
                  >Trimaris - Anthem, by Mistress Varina -
                  ><http://www.seamarch.org/web/takenote.htm>www.seamarch.org/web/takenote.htm

                  As a long-time but no ex-Trimarian, I would have probably gone
                  with "Vivat Trimaris".
                  I've seen the words before to Mistress Varina's Anthem but have
                  never heard it sung.

                  Be well,
                  Stephen
                • Patricia Collum
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                    We sent both!

                    Cecily
                    Barony of Sundragon
                    Kingdom of Atenveldt
                    1) As much as I'd like to say that my "Polestar" ("Follow the Polestar") was
                    our Kingdom's anthem, without a doubt Ealdormere marches first and best to
                    "Rise!" by Master Eiuchinn, known to most as Master Hector of the Black
                    Height.

                    2) Speaking as a former resident, for Atenveldt you're going to find folks
                    torn.  Young'uns would say "Atenveldtus Glorious" by Duchess Varia (to a
                    traditional tune); the old timers like me and Master Ioseph will speak
                    loudly for "Flower of the Desert" by Master Baldwin of Erebor.  That one's a
                    toss-up.

                    TSivia bas Tamara, Ealdormere

                      Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

                  • Frederick J. Hollander
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                      Flieg here --

                      "To the West" is the official WK anthem, and a source for the words has
                      been posted already. I am currently trying to get in touch with Mistress
                      Siobhan ni hEodhsa about the music (it's not one of the easy sing-alongs, but
                      like the Star Spangled Banner, people want to do it).
                      For Atenveldt, I'd go for Flour (sorry, Flower) of the Desert over
                      Atenveltis Glorious, but I _am_ an old-timer. And Brave and Bonny Host is
                      very definitely *not* chopped liver. Naughty Maids of An Tir may be a fun
                      song, but it is not an anthem.

                      At 09:24 AM 4/1/04 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
                      > D G
                      > For wherever I've roamed, so far from my home,
                      > A G D
                      > My heart's in Meridies.
                      >
                      > Up from Arenal Shire, where the ocean rolls higher,
                      > Southdowns across to Axemoor,
                      > You'll find fighters so bold, and great stories are told,
                      > Of the ladies with beauty and more.
                      >
                      > The Arts, they're not bad, the finest mead I have had,
                      > Iron Mountain, you have all I wish.
                      > And the service, tis true, tis better than the brew.
                      > From the Salt Keep way up to Grey Niche.
                      >
                      > Chorus:
                      >
                      > You'll find Chivalry rare, and ladies so fair,
                      > With a smile that can turn gray skies blue.
                      > Such ladies galore and if fortune is yours,
                      > Perhaps one will smile at you.
                      >
                      > Now I must be gone and far shall I roam,
                      > From mountains to valleys to sea,
                      > But for all of my days, my heart's Meridies,

                      * * * Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OP, OL, etc.
                      *|* *|* *|* flieg@...
                      |===========| http://xray.cchem.berkeley.edu/flieg2/allmember
                      (((Flieg Hollander, Chemistry Dept., U.C. Berkeley)))
                      ===A crank.========= Old Used Duke ======Not a tool.=====
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick J. Hollander"
                        <flieg@s...> wrote:
                        > Flieg here --
                        >
                        > "To the West" is the official WK anthem, and a source for the
                        words has
                        > been posted already. I am currently trying to get in touch with
                        Mistress
                        > Siobhan ni hEodhsa about the music (it's not one of the easy sing-
                        alongs, but
                        > like the Star Spangled Banner, people want to do it).

                        Thanks, Frederick, I knew you'd know more.

                        Jehanne
                      • Paul DeLisle
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                          Rathflaed DuNoir
                          The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB

                           ***SNIP***
                           Ansteorra - The Rising of the Star - www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/2883/rising.html
                          Ohh, *please*; Dear Ghods no, Rathflaed.....*not* that one!
                          "Rising" was a lot of fun, 20 years ago...but it's taken on the same horrific spectre here that OTR has at most Con filk rooms. Everyone had to write their own verse, about this king, or that Knight, or this funny incident...However, my favorite is:

                          "Ohh, the Bards, of Ansteorra, strive for authenticity
                          So they'll sing you Irish drinking songs of the 19th century
                          Now, they're fun to sing, and clever; but they've gone too bloody far
                          When the Risin' o' the Moon becomes the Risin' of the Star!"

                          A couple of years ago, our Crown held a War Song competition (through Their entire reign)...and...umm...well...I won. May I offer:

                          THE ANSTEORRAN LINE

                          Alden Pharamond and Benedict Foxwell

                          (cheerfully plagiarized from "Clare's Dragoons")

                          On any Known World battlefield

                             An army finds it's fate is sealed

                          And they know that they must die, or yield

                             Before -- the Ansteorran Line

                          So let all who face our might today

                             And try to keep our swords at bay

                          Be the next to join the dead who lay

                             Along -- the Ansteorran Line

                          And cry "Vivat!" for the heroes (of) old

                             Cry "Vivat!" for the new ones, too

                          And cry "Vivat!" for the Black and Gold

                             And the Star that shines when hearts are true

                          And whene'er for honor's field, we vie,   Our Kingdom's banners sweep the sky

                          And we know we'll win, or bravely die,   Within -- the Ansteorran Line

                          For never when our spears were set,   And never when our shield-walls met

                          Have our foemen failed to pay the debt,   Unto -- the Ansteorran Line

                               CHORUS

                          And for every fallen friend we must,   Fulfill for them this warrior's trust

                          A dozen foes shall bite the dust,   Before -- the Ansteorran Line

                          So fling your war-flag to the sky,   "Vivat the Star!" your battle cry

                          And fight 'till the blood floats knee-cop high,   Around -- the Ansteorran Line

                               CHORUS

                          Reprise   So on any Known World battlefield,   An army finds it's fate is sealed

                          And they know that they must die, or yield,   Before -- the Ansteorran Line

                          So fling your war-flag to the sky,   "Vivat the Star" our battle cry

                          And fight 'till the blood floats knee-cop high,   Around -- the Ansteorran Line

                          And cry "Vivat!" for the heroes (of) old

                             Cry "Vivat!" for the new ones, too

                          And cry "Vivat!" for the Black and Gold…

                             …And the Star that lives ... in me – and - you!

                          ...(here's a link to the tune: http://www.cielen.net/hotf/rebelsongs/sor88.htm )
                           And a litle info on the original  song (from my research notes):

                          A post-period song (written in the 1830’s.)  During the "Flights of the Wild Geese" (a term referring to Irish Jacobite soldiers [who left Ireland for France after the signing of the Treaty of Limerick in 1691] and tens of thousands of other Irishmen, who [in the succeeding half century or so] followed in their steps and fought; mainly in the army of France, but also with Spain, Austria, and even Russia.), an Irish Lord (Daniel O'Brien, 3rd Viscount Clare) had raised an army of horsemen (dragoons), and  he smuggled enough money to get himself and his troops out ahead of the wave of English. He then took them to France, re-armed them, and fought with the French against England; and was terribly successful. Their continued to fight through the 1750’s, eventually under the 6th Lord Clare (Charles.) Their headquarters was the church in Ypre, France, where they displayed their captured battle standards in the choir loft.

                          On another note... speaking as one of Mother Atenveldt's black-sheep step-chidren  (*G*), I have never heard an anthem more moving and evocative than "Flower of the Desert." That would be a "foreigner's" vote.

                          In Service, I remain

                          Alden Pharamond

                          Tempio, Ansteorra

                        • Stephen R. Melvin
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                            Actually Alden, I tried the same project a few years ago (Kingdom Songs) and the only one I got back was "Rising of the Star".  Thanks for the correction and the new song!

                            -Rathflaed

                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                              Also, Antigonus Bearbait (known as "Tiggy") recently re-wrote "The Burden of the Crown" for Ansteorran traditions (we don't kill our Kings *s*)
                              I thought it couldn't be done, but he made it work! (wish I had the words at-hand, but I don't)
                              Alden

                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                                > >Trimaris - Anthem, by Mistress Varina -
                                >
                                ><http://www.seamarch.org/web/takenote.htm>www.seamarch.org/web/taken
                                ote.htm

                                > As a long-time but no ex-Trimarian, I would have probably
                                gone
                                > with "Vivat Trimaris".
                                > I've seen the words before to Mistress Varina's Anthem
                                but have
                                > never heard it sung.

                                I was fortunate enough to be at Trimaris 10th Year
                                Anniversary/Coronation, and hear what might have been the debut. It
                                was marvelous, wonderful imagery and a good solid tune. It'd be a
                                real thumb-wrestling match to decide between the two though - Anthem
                                vs Vivat Trimaris.

                                One of my favorite (and first) knock-you-in-the-kneecaps bardic
                                moments was at the same event. They had an afternoon bardic circle
                                in the lodge, and dragged all the music laurels out of their comfy
                                lawn chairs to participate. Really good voices, really good
                                pieces. And then Mistress Varina started "Vivat the Dream" and
                                about thirty people joined in singing in way-multi-part harmony.
                                Epic. Eight years later, it still echoes in the back of my head and
                                makes me smile.

                                --Lucia
                                (sappy, but enjoying it)
                              • Kathi Coutinho
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                                  > Midrealm - ??

                                  [siiiigh]
                                  I don't think we really have one. We've got some Bardic Legends
                                  (TM), but I don't think any one particular song stands out as a
                                  Midrealm anthem yet. I'm working on it though! And I've heard some
                                  good stuff that may simply need some time and distribution to reach
                                  anthem status.

                                  Varrick's "Warhorns of Summer" and Moonwulf's "We Midrealm Warriors"
                                  are frontrunners on my list, but I can't find links to either
                                  musician or set of lyrics on the net yet. Real helpful Lucia.
                                  Magic 8 Ball says "Sorry, try again Later..."

                                  --Lucia
                                  (yes, catching up on weeks' worth of e-mail tonight)
                                • Dr. Shelley Rabinovitch
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 2, 2004
                                    I've chased down the gentleman I saw at Pennsic this last year who has
                                    penned a stunning song for the Midrealm: one which took us all by storm, as
                                    it were.

                                    His name is Verrix, and it's called "The Warhorns of Summer". I've asked if
                                    he's willing to offer it to the cause. <I understand he'll be singing it at
                                    Midrealm coronation next by Royal request.>

                                    TSivia, Ealdormere
                                  • Brenna Lyons
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 4, 2004
                                      Message

                                      Chiming in late but I have to agree with the lady's assessment of Fair Lady.
                                      Bren
                                      Atlantia has many songs and I think the one most people think of as an anthem is " Fair Lady Atlantia" . I think it is written by Efenwealt Whistle.   I have it on tape.  I could send you a copy.  I am creating an Atlantia tape with kingdom songs.  If you send me your address I'll make you a copy.

                                    • sunshinegirl
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 11, 2004
                                        From: "Stephen R. Melvin" <Rathflaed@...>

                                        MERIDIES

                                        by Rathflaed DuNoir
                                        The Black Bard of Meridies

                                        It is a lovely song, and not sung in Meridies nearly as much as it should be
                                        (so, when you gonna move back???) Probably the closest thing Meridies has
                                        to an anthem is Proud Southern Warriers.

                                        Although if Rathflaed can share his Meridian song, so can I!

                                        Melandra

                                        For Meridies
                                        Written at Pennsic XXXI
                                        Melandra of the Woods

                                        Come now, we call you, come join with our band.
                                        Let us tell you the joys of our marvelous land.
                                        Let me tell you the wonders that you may pursue
                                        with comrades that are courteous, loyal and true.

                                        Come now, we call you, come join with our band.
                                        Let us tell you the joys of our marvelous land.
                                        For the ladies are fair, they are joyous and bright;
                                        They shine like the stars on a soft southern night.

                                        Come now, we call you, come join with our band.
                                        Let us tell you the joys of our marvelous land.
                                        For our fighters are strong and they never will yield;
                                        So you better beware when they march to the field.

                                        Come now, we call you, come join with our band.
                                        Let us tell you the joys of our marvelous land.
                                        For our artisans shower us with works that are grand.
                                        We have the best craftsmen in all the known land.

                                        Come now, we call you, come join with our band.
                                        Let us tell you the joys of our marvelous land.
                                        For service is dear, it is close to our hearts,
                                        and caring for others is first in our thoughts.

                                        Come now, we call you, come join with our band.
                                        Let us tell you the joys of our marvelous land.
                                        With Roses and Stars on the Black and the White,
                                        We sing of the glory of our Kingdom's light.
                                      • Stephen R. Melvin