Re: [SCA_BARDS] Digest Number 687

  • Michael Dixon
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
      Vivat for memorizing.

      I appreciate the Creative part of SCA, but many of us are recreating oral
      traditions which are ill-served by binders no matter how spiffy. I respect
      my colleagues who carry bard books and crib sheets; we all approach what we
      do differently. For myself, I feel the use of crib sheets in any form
      deprives me of eye contact with my audience. I do use them if I need them,
      but usually come away thinking if I had practiced more I wouldn't have
      needed the cheat sheet.

      My lady never fails to chide me if I'm still cribbing when I perform... and
      rightly so.

      The downside is that I only have a limited amount of stories and verses
      rehearsed at any given time. I agree that 3-5 is about the right amount.

      Toki

      >My recommendation would be for an individual (or
      >group) to spend the time to learn 3 - 5
      >period(esque) songs to memory and via the oral
      >tradition, and distribute (disseminate) the
      >information as it is requested.
      >
      >Memorizing pieces not only challenges a bard to
      >learn, but grants the audience a piece of history
      >without needing to read from a flashlight.(oh how
      >medieval) and oOOOooos from the audience because
      >of a professional presentation.
    • sunshinegirl
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
        From: "Michael Dixon" <mdixon1@...>

        > The downside is that I only have a limited amount of stories and verses
        > rehearsed at any given time. I agree that 3-5 is about the right amount.
        >
        > Toki

        Does that mean the 2 or so hours of stories, songs, and music that I have
        memorized is overkill? :)

        Melandra, who in her other life is on the Arkansas roster for performing
        artists....
      • KaziBrionSCA
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
          2?  That's about where I am too at any given time.  With another 2 in long-term that I could have ready to perform with half-an-hour of reminder time.  I wonder if that's a coincidental number or one that reflects some aspect of the human memory?

          Brion Enkazi
          Aethelmearc
          > The downside is that I only have a limited amount of stories and verses
          > rehearsed at any given time. I agree that 3-5 is about the right amount.
          >
          > Toki

          Does that mean the 2 or so hours of stories, songs, and music that I have
          memorized is overkill?  :)

          Melandra, who in her other life is on the Arkansas roster for performing
          artists....

            Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
            Actually, the number for memory is seven, (plus or minus two)... there's actually an article on it called "The magic number 7, plus or minus two)." It seems that our short-term memory is really only good at storing 7 things at once (plus or minus two) regardless if we clump items together or not, the clumps become one of the seven (plus or minus two)

            Safya
            2?  That's about where I am too at any given time.  With another 2 in long-term that I could have ready to perform with half-an-hour of reminder time.  I wonder if that's a coincidental number or one that reflects some aspect of the human memory?

            Brion Enkazi
            Aethelmearc
            > The downside is that I only have a limited amount of stories and verses
            > rehearsed at any given time. I agree that 3-5 is about the right amount.
            >
            > Toki

            Does that mean the 2 or so hours of stories, songs, and music that I have
            memorized is overkill?  :)

            Melandra, who in her other life is on the Arkansas roster for performing
            artists....

              Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

              Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
              --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Safya bint Ziyad \(Safya the
              Silent\)" <savya@z...> wrote:
              > Actually, the number for memory is seven,

              "Five is right out."

              I don't know about you folks, but I can hear song on the radio for
              the first time in years and realize I STILL know all the lyrics. I
              call this the "American Pie" effect, and I use it to learn material
              for performance. I make a tape for commute listening and it tends to
              stick.

              On the other hand, I have a venerable vinyl copy of "Ella Fitzgerald
              Live In Berlin," in which she forgets a verse of "Mack the Knife" and
              goes with the flow, brilliantly making up lyrics. (I should be such a
              genius!)

              Whatever works for you, have a happy new year.

              Jehanne de Wodeford, West
            • Stephen R. Melvin
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
                Usually, it's pounding my head going: "Aaugh! I remembered it at the last
                camp, what is that fricking line!!!?" :)

                -Rathflaed

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
                  For me it's always the songs I know SO well that if I think about it too
                  hard, I forget EVERYTHING. Anyone else ever have this happen? Songs that if
                  you just open your mouth and sing them, they come out great, but the moment
                  you try to "remember" them, they disappear into nothingness? This is what I
                  call having a mind like a steel seive. Strong, sturdy, and holds absolutely
                  nothing with confidence.

                  Safya