In anticipation of winter solstice, yule, and 12th nights - gift (Yuletide carol)

  • jenny tavernier
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003

      Greetings!

           In 1988 I wrote a piece for pbs called In the Hall at Wintertide, which was premiered
      24 dec with an amazing choir.

      I have finally figured out how to use/make midis with this notation program,(NWC) and would like to share it. and if anyone has midi capability, to send it to you. If you wish to forward this to anyone else, please feel free. I would really love to do this with an SCA choir.

      I have rescored it more as a singalong, (the original manuscript's in la) So if you don't mind warriors and their ladies, and all who would be found in a hall singing, and like that modal feeling - (and lots of open 4ths and 5ths) Please accept this as my gift.
       If you have midi capability, and would like it, please email me off list at lyricdancer88@...

      There are sound effects missing - horses chuffing and blowing and neighing, sounds of gear and armour - etc. done by my choir - but I had no real sound effects - (I did the horse in the original recording - got a fair one with trumpets and trombones - but I'll let you do that)

      I have enclosed the lyrics below.

      The gist is that the king's men are comming home from servce well done - through the wintry forest, and goodspeeding to be home for winter solstice, yule, and the 12 nights.
      And with anticipation for all that goes on.

      Wishing you a joyous season upcomming -
      Jen

      In The Hall at Wintertide *1* of 2 pages

      c@1988/2001/03 JennyTavernierReily/all rights reserved

      Choral ssaattbb for KCET-LA (channel 28-PBS)

      Performed 12/88 at Dorothy ChandlerPavilion

      In The Hall at Wintertide

      Intro:

      In the forest bleak and cold    (Choir fwooshing wind)

      where the branches stark are bowed:

      with the weight of drifting snow

      and where the wind keens all around  (Big wind!)

      Hear the horses stamp and blow    (stomp, chuff, and  buzz loose lips)

      as we trace the path astride

      knowing soon all will be warm and merry

      in the hall at Wintertide! (horse neighing)

      1.

      In the hall at wintertide,

      when the holidays are nigh

      we will cut the greatest oak