Re: [SCA_BARDS] Doumbeks vs. Bardic Circles

  • Thaddaeus A. Vick
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 7, 2000
      --- Fayme Harper <GypsyProductions@...> wrote:
      > Am I the only person who likes both and holds no animosity to either?

      Not at all, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that, or to start
      a "doumbek vs. bardic" feud. I do enjoy both, and I have spent more
      than one Saturday night shuttling between the two. However, it is very
      difficult to have them both at the same circle. As I and someone else
      mentioned, a song has an end and when you get to it you generally sit
      down and shut up and let someone else have a go. The only ending to a
      drum rhythm is when your hands start bleeding, and by then there are a
      dozen new people to take it up and carry it to the wee hours. This
      often means that once you let the drummers start, there is no way to
      get them to stop unless someone wants to play the cop and shut them
      down.
      Also, drums carry a lot farther. This means that once you start
      drumming, drummers will converge from all over the site, and will soon
      outnumber the bards. When someone stands up during a lull in the
      drumming and tries to go back to bardic, they may find their audience
      uninterested at best, and even hostile.
      I would be the last to say that drum circles should be banned or
      "quarantined" to the distant reaches of the site, but I think that a
      decent buffer zone between bardic and hafla is necessary for the smooth
      operation of both.

      > Maybe it would help if each group had an alloted time to play. Maybe
      > 10 minutes for solos, and 20 minutes for groups of 5 or more?

      This could work. The difficulty is that you are proposing a rule,
      and a rule is meaningless unless it is enforced, which usually means
      that you need an Enforcer. You can explain the format, and it is
      unlikely that anyone will object, but you'll still have to explain it
      again to each new person who wanders in. It may just be me, but I see
      as much or more possibility for hard feelings when you have to tell
      someone, "You have to stop drumming now, it's time for a long mournful
      song," as when you tell them, "We're singing here, the drum circle is
      in the next camp."

      > There has to be a win/win situation. I'd hate to see either group
      > chased off.

      The win/win solution is to have a bardic and a hafla a reasonable
      distance apart, and to have both planned in advance and publicized with
      equal billing by conspicuous signs. I don't think it's a question of
      anyone being chased off, it's just that some activities do not go well
      in the same space. You wouldn't try to have the dance class on the
      field during the tourney, or children's activities in the kitchen an
      hour before feast, or teach a class on 12th century Anglo-Saxon
      literature in the middle of court. All these are very worthy pursuits,
      but it is best that they have their own space. Somehow people do not
      extend this concept to the evening activities.

      > All are welcome in my camp. Yours, Zel

      And in mine too, but preferably on different nights. :)

      Cellach Cosnocht mac C��in, Rogue Herald
      Barony of the South Downs, Meridies

      =====
      Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses Email: ThaddaeusV@...
      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 7, 2000
        Q: What is the difference between God and a doumbek
        player?

        A: God doesn't THINK he's a doumbek player.

        Try leading music for dancing when your band consists
        of two recorders, two harps, one frame drum and three
        happy a******s who decided to help by bringing their
        #@&$^#!! doumbeks. I guarantee it will raise your
        blood pressure, drown out the melody and frustrate the
        dancers.

        Bloody Saracens!

        If you don't want them turning your performance circle
        into a drumfest, tell them (politely but firmly) to
        take it elsewhere. Once they start you CAN'T stop
        them.

        Jehanne de Wodeford
        Rusted Woodlands (East)

        =====
        When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/
      • Chris Stanifer
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 7, 2000
          --- Fayme Harper <GypsyProductions@...> wrote:
          > Am I the only person who likes both and holds no
          > animosity to either?

          Absolutely not. I enjoy all aspects of the Bardic
          Circle, so long as there is variety. Any one thing
          done to death is annoying. I think stories and songs,
          interspersed with drums, flutes or harps, make for a
          more enjoyable evening. I have personally been in
          encampments where, over the course of an evening, I
          have heard the same song performed two or three
          times... On the other hand, I have been in encampments
          where the drummers play nothing but the same worn-out
          rhythms ad nauseum. So long as the performances are
          intermixed, I have no problem with all types of
          performance being displayed at the Circle.

          But, let's make sure the jugglers have a minute or two
          to show their stuff, too :)

          Balthazar of Blackmoor

          http://shopping.yahoo.com/
        • Fayme Harper
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 7, 2000
            I think what we are getting down to is a matter of courtesy. No one
            likes anyone who has overstayed their welcome.
            --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, Chris Stanifer <jugglethis@y...> wrote:

            > --- Fayme Harper <GypsyProductions@y...> wrote:
            > > Am I the only person who likes both and holds no
            > > animosity to either?
            >
            > Absolutely not. I enjoy all aspects of the Bardic
            > Circle, so long as there is variety. Any one thing
            > done to death is annoying. I think stories and songs,
            > interspersed with drums, flutes or harps, make for a
            > more enjoyable evening. I have personally been in
            > encampments where, over the course of an evening, I
            > have heard the same song performed two or three
            > times... On the other hand, I have been in encampments
            > where the drummers play nothing but the same worn-out
            > rhythms ad nauseum. So long as the performances are
            > intermixed, I have no problem with all types of
            > performance being displayed at the Circle.
            >
            > But, let's make sure the jugglers have a minute or two
            > to show their stuff, too :)
            >
            > Balthazar of Blackmoor

            > Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one Place.
            > http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          • Fayme Harper
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 7, 2000
              --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, Chris Stanifer <jugglethis@y...> wrote:

              Hey Balthazar.......any chance I can get you to post of photo of you
              juggling so I can find you at the next GWW?
              > But, let's make sure the jugglers have a minute or two
              > to show their stuff, too :)
              >
              > Balthazar of Blackmoor

              > Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one Place.
              > http://shopping.yahoo.com/
            • Sigmund Hewett
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 8, 2000
                On Tue, 07 Nov 2000, Fayme Harper quipped:
                > --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, Chris Stanifer <jugglethis@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > Hey Balthazar.......any chance I can get you to post of photo of you
                > juggling so I can find you at the next GWW?
                > > But, let's make sure the jugglers have a minute or two
                > > to show their stuff, too :)
                > >
                > > Balthazar of Blackmoor

                Look for the guy on fire :)

                Sigmund Malovich

                If all the world is a stage? where does the audience sit?
                siggy@...

                GOT BOOKS? WE HAVE!
                visit http:www.tenpennybooks.com
                - your onestop online book exchange
              • Fayme Harper
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 8, 2000
                  I'll bring a bucket of water. Sapphira

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 8, 2000
                    --- Fayme Harper <GypsyProductions@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Balthazar.......any chance I can get you to post
                    > of photo of you
                    > juggling so I can find you at the next GWW?

                    Ouch!! Come on now, that's not fair :) I hear you
                    did a wonderful job filling in for me at GWW this
                    year... sorry to put you on the spot like that :(
                    Believe me, if there was any POSSIBLE way I could have
                    been there, I would have been.

                    For those of you who don't know... I was supposed to
                    teach a Beginning Juggling course at Great Western War
                    this year, and (quite literally) at the last minute
                    (meaning 'the night before we were supposed to leave')
                    something came up which prevented me from going.
                    Luckily, someone we all know stepped in and filled the
                    void, and for that i am thankful. I know there were
                    at least a few people who were really looking forward
                    to getting together with me at the event, not the
                    least of which were a few kids who wanted to learn how
                    to juggle. I hope they don't think I am a Grinch...

                    Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped cover my
                    behind...and I'll be posting a few pictures on the web
                    as soon as I get them scanned... So you'll know who to
                    watch out for at the next big event :)

                    Balthazar of Blackmoor

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                  • OCeallachain@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 8, 2000
                      > Sigmund Malovich
                      >
                      > --
                      > If all the world is a stage? where does the audience sit?

                      They don't sit at all... that's why the theater has wings.

                      Grinning, running, and ducking,
                      Daithi O Ceállachaín
                      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • meadowsweet@msn.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 9, 2000
                        --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, "Fayme Harper" <GypsyProductions@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, Chris Stanifer <jugglethis@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hey Balthazar.......any chance I can get you to post of photo of
                        you
                        > juggling so I can find you at the next GWW?
                        > > But, let's make sure the jugglers have a minute or two
                        > > to show their stuff, too :)
                        > >
                        > > Balthazar of Blackmoor
                        > >
                        > > _

                        edward hastings (meadowsweet)

                        not much happens in the muses, to bad

                      • mrenata@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 20, 2000
                          Salutations from the mostly silent juggler (NO, I am Not a Mime!)

                          I must beg to differ about this "void" in juggling at GWW. I offered
                          to teach several classes in juggling, including some more advanced
                          classes in diabolos, numbers and clubs, but in the end the classes
                          were lumped together into one 4 hour session called "Juggling,
                          Juggling, Juggling" on Saturday morning. I know the caption was
                          uninspired, but I swear I had no say in that decision. I only had 3
                          students in that time, all of whom just happened to wander by and I
                          roped them in. So where was everyone??

                          Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that juggling was
                          happening. I'm sure Fayme will second me in saying we need more club
                          passers.

                          I will be teaching one children's and 3 adult's classes at Estrella.
                          The schedule is thus:
                          Saturday 11-12 - Juggling for the children's collegium
                          Sunday 9-10 am - Beyond three ball juggling
                          Sunday 10-11 am - Learning Diabolo from the ground up
                          Sunday 11-12 noon - Clubs and club passing
                          Classes will be in the big white grand pavillion near merchants row.

                          Hope to see more of you there.

                          Cheers!
                          Lady Medb Renata

                          --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, Chris Stanifer <jugglethis@y...> wrote:

                          > --- Fayme Harper <GypsyProductions@y...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hey Balthazar.......any chance I can get you to post
                          > > of photo of you
                          > > juggling so I can find you at the next GWW?
                          >

                          > Ouch!! Come on now, that's not fair :) I hear you
                          > did a wonderful job filling in for me at GWW this
                          > year... sorry to put you on the spot like that :(
                          > Believe me, if there was any POSSIBLE way I could have
                          > been there, I would have been.
                          >
                          > For those of you who don't know... I was supposed to
                          > teach a Beginning Juggling course at Great Western War
                          > this year, and (quite literally) at the last minute
                          > (meaning 'the night before we were supposed to leave')
                          > something came up which prevented me from going.
                          > Luckily, someone we all know stepped in and filled the
                          > void, and for that i am thankful. I know there were
                          > at least a few people who were really looking forward
                          > to getting together with me at the event, not the
                          > least of which were a few kids who wanted to learn how
                          > to juggle. I hope they don't think I am a Grinch...
                          >
                          > Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped cover my
                          > behind...and I'll be posting a few pictures on the web
                          > as soon as I get them scanned... So you'll know who to
                          > watch out for at the next big event :)
                          >
                          > Balthazar of Blackmoor

                          > Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one Place.
                          > http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                        • Chris Stanifer
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                            --- mrenata@... wrote:
                            > Salutations from the mostly silent juggler (NO, I am
                            > Not a Mime!)
                            >
                            > I must beg to differ about this "void" in juggling
                            > at GWW.

                            Yeah. Okay.

                            I meant "fill the void in the schedule....".

                            Although, now that you mention it.... I recall
                            wandering around at GWW III thinking to myself "now,
                            where are all the jugglers?" If there are so many
                            jugglers at GWW, then why do I never see them
                            juggling? I know Estrella is rife with them, and I had
                            a tremendous time last year (year before??) But GWW?
                            Maybe all these jugglers should do something to make
                            themselves known...like juggling?

                            Balthazar of Blackmoor

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                          • Sigmund Hewett
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 25, 2000
                              Well no juggling for me for a few months,,,

                              as I one handedly type this.. last night I had an accident and dislocated my
                              shoulder.. No anything for a couple of weeks... no juggling for at least a
                              month..

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 25, 2000
                                --- Sigmund Hewett <siggy@...> wrote:

                                > Well no juggling for me for a few months,,,
                                >
                                > as I one handedly type this.. last night I had an accident and
                                > dislocated my shoulder.. No anything for a couple of weeks... no
                                > juggling for at least a month..

                                I've seen people juggle with one hand before. Sounds to me like
                                a great opportunity to expand your repertoire. :)

                              • Alinalady@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 26, 2000
                                  Poor Siggy love!! Heal yeself soon and wow us all...I hope you are not in a
                                  great deal of pain, I was so lookin' for ward to seein' you at Gulf Wars.
                                  Take care of yeself love!

                                  Lady Alina nic an Bhaird
                                • ZEL aka Sapphira
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 28, 2000
                                    ((((((((((((Hugs Siggy gently)))))))) Oh Siggy, whatever am I going
                                    to do with you. --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, Sigmund Hewett