Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Where have all the bardic gone.....

  • mit1369@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
      In a message dated 09/25/2003 9:23:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xzoomy@... writes:

      Please come to the Outlands, especially to Unser Hafen on the 4th of
      July.  That is the weekend of Glory!  We have a large gathering in
      Windkeep (Buford, WY), with a bardic every evening.

      Or if that's not in your neighborhood come to Musicians Day:

      http://grey-gargoyles.uchicago.edu/musicday/

      Or Bardic Madness South:

      http://12.100.136.197/bms5/

      Uadahlrich

    • Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
        *LMAO* Oh dear... please tell me next time you do this - I just want to
        watch you weild a battle axe against those vicious, horrific, terrifying
        DRUMS!!!! *AAAAAHHHH*

        Safya
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
          I'll take the drummers over the pipers any day.  Last Estrella, I was trying to sing a long, slow, sad love ballade, and a pair of pipers 3 camps over decided to "duel".  They were good, but they covered 1/3 of the war with a LOT of volume.  :)

          -Rathflaed
          Rathflaed DuNoir
          The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB
          http://www.chivalry.com/blackbard/
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
            I'd suggest checking with the performer before accompanying them.  Even on a well known song with a common beat, the performer might intend to syncopate some parts or slow down/speed up portions to emphasize parts of the song.  Most of the time, it's fine but a drummer trying to keep a steady beat can really wreck the mood if they can't pick up on those things.

            -Rathflaed
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
              > My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would
              > softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as
              > the drummer <accompanies> the others
              > there shouldn't be any trouble.
              >
              > Uadahlrich

              I think that's the big difference right there. At a usual bardic
              circle, I'd welcome a percussionist as much as I'd welcome anyone
              else who sings along. It adds greatly to the atmosphere.

              My objection is when a drummer (or more often, seven or eight of
              them) takes over uninvited and nobody else gets to perform. I saw it
              happen at an event this summer, in an area where we're just starting
              to re-establish traditional bardic performances. The feast had been
              in a large campsite, with maybe 60-90 people hanging around, and a
              nice area for bardic entertainment set by the fire. About 8-10
              people had performed one piece each, and then the drums started. And
              didn't stop. Several of us had hoped to do a second piece, and
              decided to patiently wait it out. Unfortunately, after maybe 30
              minutes I noticed the drummers were rotating in-and-out so there was
              no point in waiting for them to get tired and stop.

              I suppose the best intervention is prevention, such as having an MC
              and letting *all* performers know they're welcome to play within a 10-
              minute limit, whether it's song or story or instrumental.

              There's also an element of reading the audience. I did notice while
              the drummers were going, most of the audience wasn't actively paying
              attention, focusing more on their drinks and conversation and the
              general party atmosphere. The drumming was kinda like Muzak.
              Eventually five or six of us moved further off from the campfire and
              went back to singing, just for ourselves. Discovered we could pick
              songs that fit the pace of the drumming, and had ourselves a nice
              metronome.

              Just my two florins....
              --Lucia
            • Randy Colby
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Kathi Coutinho" <kcoutinho@a...>
                wrote:

                > > My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would
                > > softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as
                > > the drummer <accompanies> the others
                > > there shouldn't be any trouble.
                > >
                > > Uadahlrich
                >
                > I think that's the big difference right there. At a usual bardic
                > circle, I'd welcome a percussionist as much as I'd welcome anyone
                > else who sings along. It adds greatly to the atmosphere.
                >
                > My objection is when a drummer (or more often, seven or eight of
                > them) takes over uninvited and nobody else gets to perform. >
                > Just my two florins....
                > --Lucia

                I must agree with this. I don't mind anyone performing, but a
                marathon performance by any one person, group, or even style becomes
                a bit boring. If the bardic is billed as Middle Eastern performance,
                drumming, dancing, etc. that is one thing. However, if it is for all
                there to enjoy, let's have variety. My own preference is Celtic, but
                I enjoy hearing and watching a performance of other styles, and would
                prefer a variety.
                Make mine shillings....
                Colb'an
              • mit1369@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                  In a message dated 10/06/2003 9:32:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xzoomy@... writes:

                  I must agree with this.  I don't mind anyone performing, but a
                  marathon performance by any one person, group, or even style becomes
                  a bit boring.  If the bardic is billed as Middle Eastern performance,
                  drumming, dancing, etc. that is one thing.

                  Quite right. There is definitely a difference between a Bardic Circle and a Haffla (sp?)
                  and limiting time on performances is sometimes a regrettable necessity. We had to limit stories at our camps Pennsic Bardic Volleyball Challenge to 5 minutes after some stories went on for so long that some gentles left, went to other camps, came back and the story is <still> going on. I enjoy sagas but in this venue we had to start giving some people the "hook."

                  Uadahlrich
                • jenny tavernier
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                    Hey! (laughing) I have a 6 foot boat hook if any one needs it - (can also be used as a conducting staff) Jen

                    Do you Yahoo!?