Re: Where have all the bardic gone.....

  • Randy Colby
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Safya bint Ziyad \(Safya the
      Silent\)" <savya@z...> wrote:
      > my usual request sounds something like "ooo... hey, you
      > guys are going to be drumming, right? What night is your quiet
      night so I
      > won't miss it when I host a bardic next door??" > Safya

      I guess that is better than my method of running through a campsite
      with a battle axe, hacking at every drum in site ;0}
      Colb'an

      Service.
    • mit1369@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
        In a message dated 09/25/2003 9:23:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xzoomy@... writes:

        Please come to the Outlands, especially to Unser Hafen on the 4th of
        July.  That is the weekend of Glory!  We have a large gathering in
        Windkeep (Buford, WY), with a bardic every evening.

        Or if that's not in your neighborhood come to Musicians Day:

        http://grey-gargoyles.uchicago.edu/musicday/

        Or Bardic Madness South:

        http://12.100.136.197/bms5/

        Uadahlrich

      • Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
          *LMAO* Oh dear... please tell me next time you do this - I just want to
          watch you weild a battle axe against those vicious, horrific, terrifying
          DRUMS!!!! *AAAAAHHHH*

          Safya
          > my usual request sounds something like "ooo... hey, you
          > guys are going to be drumming, right? What night is your quiet
          night so I
          > won't miss it when I host a bardic next door??" > Safya

          I guess that is better than my method of running through a campsite
          with a battle axe, hacking at every drum in site ;0}
          Colb'an
        • Stephen R. Melvin
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
            I'll take the drummers over the pipers any day.  Last Estrella, I was trying to sing a long, slow, sad love ballade, and a pair of pipers 3 camps over decided to "duel".  They were good, but they covered 1/3 of the war with a LOT of volume.  :)

            -Rathflaed
            Rathflaed DuNoir
            The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB
            http://www.chivalry.com/blackbard/
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
              I'd suggest checking with the performer before accompanying them.  Even on a well known song with a common beat, the performer might intend to syncopate some parts or slow down/speed up portions to emphasize parts of the song.  Most of the time, it's fine but a drummer trying to keep a steady beat can really wreck the mood if they can't pick up on those things.

              -Rathflaed
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                > My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would
                > softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as
                > the drummer <accompanies> the others
                > there shouldn't be any trouble.
                >
                > Uadahlrich

                I think that's the big difference right there. At a usual bardic
                circle, I'd welcome a percussionist as much as I'd welcome anyone
                else who sings along. It adds greatly to the atmosphere.

                My objection is when a drummer (or more often, seven or eight of
                them) takes over uninvited and nobody else gets to perform. I saw it
                happen at an event this summer, in an area where we're just starting
                to re-establish traditional bardic performances. The feast had been
                in a large campsite, with maybe 60-90 people hanging around, and a
                nice area for bardic entertainment set by the fire. About 8-10
                people had performed one piece each, and then the drums started. And
                didn't stop. Several of us had hoped to do a second piece, and
                decided to patiently wait it out. Unfortunately, after maybe 30
                minutes I noticed the drummers were rotating in-and-out so there was
                no point in waiting for them to get tired and stop.

                I suppose the best intervention is prevention, such as having an MC
                and letting *all* performers know they're welcome to play within a 10-
                minute limit, whether it's song or story or instrumental.

                There's also an element of reading the audience. I did notice while
                the drummers were going, most of the audience wasn't actively paying
                attention, focusing more on their drinks and conversation and the
                general party atmosphere. The drumming was kinda like Muzak.
                Eventually five or six of us moved further off from the campfire and
                went back to singing, just for ourselves. Discovered we could pick
                songs that fit the pace of the drumming, and had ourselves a nice
                metronome.

                Just my two florins....
                --Lucia
              • Randy Colby
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                  --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Kathi Coutinho" <kcoutinho@a...>
                  wrote:

                  > > My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would
                  > > softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as
                  > > the drummer <accompanies> the others
                  > > there shouldn't be any trouble.
                  > >
                  > > Uadahlrich
                  >
                  > I think that's the big difference right there. At a usual bardic
                  > circle, I'd welcome a percussionist as much as I'd welcome anyone
                  > else who sings along. It adds greatly to the atmosphere.
                  >
                  > My objection is when a drummer (or more often, seven or eight of
                  > them) takes over uninvited and nobody else gets to perform. >
                  > Just my two florins....
                  > --Lucia

                  I must agree with this. I don't mind anyone performing, but a
                  marathon performance by any one person, group, or even style becomes
                  a bit boring. If the bardic is billed as Middle Eastern performance,
                  drumming, dancing, etc. that is one thing. However, if it is for all
                  there to enjoy, let's have variety. My own preference is Celtic, but
                  I enjoy hearing and watching a performance of other styles, and would
                  prefer a variety.
                  Make mine shillings....
                  Colb'an
                • mit1369@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                    In a message dated 10/06/2003 9:32:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xzoomy@... writes:

                    I must agree with this.  I don't mind anyone performing, but a
                    marathon performance by any one person, group, or even style becomes
                    a bit boring.  If the bardic is billed as Middle Eastern performance,
                    drumming, dancing, etc. that is one thing.

                    Quite right. There is definitely a difference between a Bardic Circle and a Haffla (sp?)
                    and limiting time on performances is sometimes a regrettable necessity. We had to limit stories at our camps Pennsic Bardic Volleyball Challenge to 5 minutes after some stories went on for so long that some gentles left, went to other camps, came back and the story is <still> going on. I enjoy sagas but in this venue we had to start giving some people the "hook."

                    Uadahlrich
                  • jenny tavernier
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                      Hey! (laughing) I have a 6 foot boat hook if any one needs it - (can also be used as a conducting staff) Jen

                      Do you Yahoo!?