RE: [SCA_BARDS] Where have all the bardic gone.....

  • Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 24 6:24 PM
      You have hit on EXACTLY what happens... one person sits around, starts
      singing or playing, others interested in finding bardics are wandering
      around, hear it, gather, join in, and BOOM... instant bardic, just add
      enthusiasm.

      Safya
      "If you play it, they will come..."

    • Terry Dawson
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 24 6:36 PM
        And then the drummers find the fire, start playing and everything else is
        drowned out. How do you hold a bardic with singing or playing if there's a
        doumbeck on site? That sounds a little snotty, but it isn't meant to be. I
        like drumming circles sometimes. But they're easy to find :-)

        Gen

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 24 6:50 PM
          Ah... you are talking to someone from the Outlands, where doumbeks abound. Frankly, get to know the encampments around you. Talk to them... ask them, if they have drums, what night they're planning on drumming. I dance and drum as well, so my usual request sounds something like "ooo... hey, you guys are going to be drumming, right? What night is your quiet night so I won't miss it when I host a bardic next door??" And even a straightforward polite request that they look elsewhere to drum one night is usually honored. It's about respect. And as long as someone isn't trying to drum AT the bardic (which, if it's your encampment, you have every right to request that they sing a middle eastern song rather than drum), or in the tent at your back, people will find it and come. Or, better yet, get the royalty (or your Kingdom bard) to help out by sponsoring a bardic and get it in the announcements - then you can have a request for "no drumming near XXX encampment, please!" in the schedule. Go public, go loud, or go private and subtle... either way you choose, keep it polite. Those drummers may very well be interested in bardic as well, and you don't want to drive them away.

          Safya

            Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

        • SCAbeathog@cs.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 24 7:48 PM
            In a message dated 9/24/2003 5:45:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jeisolomon@... writes:

            It is a funny thing. I usually can't find organized
            bardics either.

            Our household hosts a Bardic Circle, using the Perform-Pass-Request format, every war we attend.  Our next circle will be Friday, October 10, beginning at 8 p.m., at Great Western War VII in Caid.  If you are attending the war, stop in!  We are the Cliar Cu Buidhe, and we will be located near the stone privies near headquarters.  Look for the celtic knotwork dog gate (or you might notice the castle wall :)

            Baintighearna Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh
            Guidwife, Cliar Cu Buidhe
            Barony of Gyldenholt, Caid
          • Halley
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 24 8:37 PM
              About the drums, I know EXACTLY how you feel about that. I play a plethora of instruments, and it's funny when I am playing and the drums are in the background, and because of my musical upbringing, my mind says "metronome"!! But the thing is, they don't keep a steady beat!! Oh, was that my outloud voice. . . < /end venting>

              Drums have to be in loud camping. Quiet camping isn't any fun for a bardic because they like to last late, but if you have generic camping, or if you contact the autocrat WELL IN ADVANCE, she/he might tell you that you can use the eric to set up a brazier etc at. . .

              Oh, and because no one else has, I have to say it. . . "Where have all the bardics gone. .. long, long time ago!"

              L. AEMIL MAB DONNACHAIDH
              SHIRE OF MIDHAVEN, KINGDOM OF AN TIR
              CABIN BOY FOR THE BOTTA PUNTESSA
            • Melissa Kelly
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 24 9:08 PM

                Halley <webmistress@...> wrote:

                Oh, and because no one else has, I have to say it. . . "Where have all the bardics gone. .. long, long time ago!"

                Weird! I was always taught to sing "...long time passing,. Where have all the flowers gone...long time ago."

                Viola

                "Whoever has good material for a story is grieved if the tale is not well told." Marie de France

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • sunshinegirl
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 24 10:36 PM
                  From: "JW" <jeisolomon@...>

                  Like you I wonder what happened to
                  > the bardics.
                  > -Götz

                  I found that, in moving from Caid (day tourneys, mostly, occaisional
                  primitive camping event) to Meridies (frequent cabin camping event) that
                  events with primitive camp sites and/or lots of tenting are the events that
                  tend to have bardic circles easier to find. Cabin camping, there might be
                  a bardic someplace, but unless you get invited to it, you won't hear it
                  because it is indoors.....

                  Melandra
                • sunshinegirl
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 24 10:42 PM
                    From: "Terry Dawson" <ladygenerica@...>

                    > And then the drummers find the fire, start playing and everything else is
                    > drowned out. How do you hold a bardic with singing or playing if there's a
                    > doumbeck on site? That sounds a little snotty, but it isn't meant to be. I
                    > like drumming circles sometimes. But they're easy to find :-)
                    >
                    > Gen

                    Well, if the drummers find a bardic circle fire, and it has a specific
                    format, fall upon the format. When I am hosting a bardic circle, I usually
                    will tell the format 2-3 times during the evening, as newcomers join in.
                    Another way to control the circle is to have a token, possibly a staff, or a
                    recorder tied with ribbons, that is passed around, indicating whose turn it
                    is. I have also been at circles that had a specific spot for a "stage" -
                    and if someone tried to start something, and was not on the "stage" they
                    were good naturedly told they had to go to that spot to perform....

                    Melandra
                  • greenstein@stargate.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 25 5:39 AM
                      > And then the drummers find the fire, start playing and everything else
                      > is drowned out. How do you hold a bardic with singing or playing if
                      > there's a doumbeck on site?

                      Distant drums are fine. If someone brings a drum to a bardic circle, in
                      many cases that is like someone bringing a gun to a knife fight. It's
                      just not sporting. There is nothing wrong with saying, "Milord/Milady, we
                      are sharing stories and songs... can you entertain us with one of those,
                      instead?" If the circle has an MC, so much the easier.

                      Regards,
                      Michael
                    • mit1369@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 25 6:10 AM
                        In a message dated 09/25/2003 8:40:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, greenstein@... writes:

                        Distant drums are fine.  If someone brings a drum to a bardic circle, in
                        many cases that is like someone bringing a gun to a knife fight.  It's
                        just not sporting.

                        My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as the drummer <accompanies> the others there shouldn't be any trouble.

                        Uadahlrich

                      • Randy Colby
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 25 6:18 AM
                          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, JW <jeisolomon@y...> wrote:
                          > It is a funny thing. I usually can't find organized
                          > bardics either. Though just last weekend I sat in the
                          > doorway of my pavilion and plinked away on my
                          > mandolin. People stopped by and listened. Within an
                          > hour there were nine people there with me. Also to
                          > clarify, I've been playing for less than six months so
                          > my playing isn't much more than my poorly played three
                          > song repertoire. Like you I wonder what happened to
                          > the bardics.
                          > -Götz

                          Please come to the Outlands, especially to Unser Hafen on the 4th of
                          July. That is the weekend of Glory! We have a large gathering in
                          Windkeep (Buford, WY), with a bardic every evening. One night will
                          be the traditional Celtic gathering, and another night Middle
                          Eastern, with the drumming and dancing this brings to mind. I'm sure
                          you will enjoy either one or both of these.

                          Colb'an Itchfoot the Lutemaker
                          Pencerdd of Unser Hafen

                          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • Randy Colby
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 25 6:24 AM
                            --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Safya bint Ziyad \(Safya the
                            Silent\)" <savya@z...> wrote:
                            > my usual request sounds something like "ooo... hey, you
                            > guys are going to be drumming, right? What night is your quiet
                            night so I
                            > won't miss it when I host a bardic next door??" > Safya

                            I guess that is better than my method of running through a campsite
                            with a battle axe, hacking at every drum in site ;0}
                            Colb'an

                            Service.
                          • mit1369@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 25 6:34 AM
                              In a message dated 09/25/2003 9:23:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xzoomy@... writes:

                              Please come to the Outlands, especially to Unser Hafen on the 4th of
                              July.  That is the weekend of Glory!  We have a large gathering in
                              Windkeep (Buford, WY), with a bardic every evening.

                              Or if that's not in your neighborhood come to Musicians Day:

                              http://grey-gargoyles.uchicago.edu/musicday/

                              Or Bardic Madness South:

                              http://12.100.136.197/bms5/

                              Uadahlrich

                            • Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 25 6:44 AM
                                *LMAO* Oh dear... please tell me next time you do this - I just want to
                                watch you weild a battle axe against those vicious, horrific, terrifying
                                DRUMS!!!! *AAAAAHHHH*

                                Safya
                                > my usual request sounds something like "ooo... hey, you
                                > guys are going to be drumming, right? What night is your quiet
                                night so I
                                > won't miss it when I host a bardic next door??" > Safya

                                I guess that is better than my method of running through a campsite
                                with a battle axe, hacking at every drum in site ;0}
                                Colb'an
                              • Stephen R. Melvin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 26 8:09 AM
                                  I'll take the drummers over the pipers any day.  Last Estrella, I was trying to sing a long, slow, sad love ballade, and a pair of pipers 3 camps over decided to "duel".  They were good, but they covered 1/3 of the war with a LOT of volume.  :)

                                  -Rathflaed
                                  Rathflaed DuNoir
                                  The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB
                                  http://www.chivalry.com/blackbard/

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 26 10:15 AM
                                    I'd suggest checking with the performer before accompanying them.  Even on a well known song with a common beat, the performer might intend to syncopate some parts or slow down/speed up portions to emphasize parts of the song.  Most of the time, it's fine but a drummer trying to keep a steady beat can really wreck the mood if they can't pick up on those things.

                                    -Rathflaed

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                                      > My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would
                                      > softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as
                                      > the drummer <accompanies> the others
                                      > there shouldn't be any trouble.
                                      >
                                      > Uadahlrich

                                      I think that's the big difference right there. At a usual bardic
                                      circle, I'd welcome a percussionist as much as I'd welcome anyone
                                      else who sings along. It adds greatly to the atmosphere.

                                      My objection is when a drummer (or more often, seven or eight of
                                      them) takes over uninvited and nobody else gets to perform. I saw it
                                      happen at an event this summer, in an area where we're just starting
                                      to re-establish traditional bardic performances. The feast had been
                                      in a large campsite, with maybe 60-90 people hanging around, and a
                                      nice area for bardic entertainment set by the fire. About 8-10
                                      people had performed one piece each, and then the drums started. And
                                      didn't stop. Several of us had hoped to do a second piece, and
                                      decided to patiently wait it out. Unfortunately, after maybe 30
                                      minutes I noticed the drummers were rotating in-and-out so there was
                                      no point in waiting for them to get tired and stop.

                                      I suppose the best intervention is prevention, such as having an MC
                                      and letting *all* performers know they're welcome to play within a 10-
                                      minute limit, whether it's song or story or instrumental.

                                      There's also an element of reading the audience. I did notice while
                                      the drummers were going, most of the audience wasn't actively paying
                                      attention, focusing more on their drinks and conversation and the
                                      general party atmosphere. The drumming was kinda like Muzak.
                                      Eventually five or six of us moved further off from the campfire and
                                      went back to singing, just for ourselves. Discovered we could pick
                                      songs that fit the pace of the drumming, and had ourselves a nice
                                      metronome.

                                      Just my two florins....
                                      --Lucia
                                    • Randy Colby
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                                        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Kathi Coutinho" <kcoutinho@a...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > > My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would
                                        > > softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as
                                        > > the drummer <accompanies> the others
                                        > > there shouldn't be any trouble.
                                        > >
                                        > > Uadahlrich
                                        >
                                        > I think that's the big difference right there. At a usual bardic
                                        > circle, I'd welcome a percussionist as much as I'd welcome anyone
                                        > else who sings along. It adds greatly to the atmosphere.
                                        >
                                        > My objection is when a drummer (or more often, seven or eight of
                                        > them) takes over uninvited and nobody else gets to perform. >
                                        > Just my two florins....
                                        > --Lucia

                                        I must agree with this. I don't mind anyone performing, but a
                                        marathon performance by any one person, group, or even style becomes
                                        a bit boring. If the bardic is billed as Middle Eastern performance,
                                        drumming, dancing, etc. that is one thing. However, if it is for all
                                        there to enjoy, let's have variety. My own preference is Celtic, but
                                        I enjoy hearing and watching a performance of other styles, and would
                                        prefer a variety.
                                        Make mine shillings....
                                        Colb'an
                                      • mit1369@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                                          In a message dated 10/06/2003 9:32:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xzoomy@... writes:

                                          I must agree with this.  I don't mind anyone performing, but a
                                          marathon performance by any one person, group, or even style becomes
                                          a bit boring.  If the bardic is billed as Middle Eastern performance,
                                          drumming, dancing, etc. that is one thing.

                                          Quite right. There is definitely a difference between a Bardic Circle and a Haffla (sp?)
                                          and limiting time on performances is sometimes a regrettable necessity. We had to limit stories at our camps Pennsic Bardic Volleyball Challenge to 5 minutes after some stories went on for so long that some gentles left, went to other camps, came back and the story is <still> going on. I enjoy sagas but in this venue we had to start giving some people the "hook."

                                          Uadahlrich
                                        • jenny tavernier
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                                            Hey! (laughing) I have a 6 foot boat hook if any one needs it - (can also be used as a conducting staff) Jen

                                            Do you Yahoo!?