Where have all the bardic gone.....

  • JW
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003
      It is a funny thing. I usually can't find organized
      bardics either. Though just last weekend I sat in the
      doorway of my pavilion and plinked away on my
      mandolin. People stopped by and listened. Within an
      hour there were nine people there with me. Also to
      clarify, I've been playing for less than six months so
      my playing isn't much more than my poorly played three
      song repertoire. Like you I wonder what happened to
      the bardics.
      -G�tz

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003
        You have hit on EXACTLY what happens... one person sits around, starts
        singing or playing, others interested in finding bardics are wandering
        around, hear it, gather, join in, and BOOM... instant bardic, just add
        enthusiasm.

        Safya
        "If you play it, they will come..."

      • Terry Dawson
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003
          And then the drummers find the fire, start playing and everything else is
          drowned out. How do you hold a bardic with singing or playing if there's a
          doumbeck on site? That sounds a little snotty, but it isn't meant to be. I
          like drumming circles sometimes. But they're easy to find :-)

          Gen

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003
            Ah... you are talking to someone from the Outlands, where doumbeks abound. Frankly, get to know the encampments around you. Talk to them... ask them, if they have drums, what night they're planning on drumming. I dance and drum as well, so my usual request sounds something like "ooo... hey, you guys are going to be drumming, right? What night is your quiet night so I won't miss it when I host a bardic next door??" And even a straightforward polite request that they look elsewhere to drum one night is usually honored. It's about respect. And as long as someone isn't trying to drum AT the bardic (which, if it's your encampment, you have every right to request that they sing a middle eastern song rather than drum), or in the tent at your back, people will find it and come. Or, better yet, get the royalty (or your Kingdom bard) to help out by sponsoring a bardic and get it in the announcements - then you can have a request for "no drumming near XXX encampment, please!" in the schedule. Go public, go loud, or go private and subtle... either way you choose, keep it polite. Those drummers may very well be interested in bardic as well, and you don't want to drive them away.

            Safya

              Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

          • SCAbeathog@cs.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003
              In a message dated 9/24/2003 5:45:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jeisolomon@... writes:

              It is a funny thing. I usually can't find organized
              bardics either.

              Our household hosts a Bardic Circle, using the Perform-Pass-Request format, every war we attend.  Our next circle will be Friday, October 10, beginning at 8 p.m., at Great Western War VII in Caid.  If you are attending the war, stop in!  We are the Cliar Cu Buidhe, and we will be located near the stone privies near headquarters.  Look for the celtic knotwork dog gate (or you might notice the castle wall :)

              Baintighearna Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh
              Guidwife, Cliar Cu Buidhe
              Barony of Gyldenholt, Caid
            • Halley
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003
                About the drums, I know EXACTLY how you feel about that. I play a plethora of instruments, and it's funny when I am playing and the drums are in the background, and because of my musical upbringing, my mind says "metronome"!! But the thing is, they don't keep a steady beat!! Oh, was that my outloud voice. . . < /end venting>

                Drums have to be in loud camping. Quiet camping isn't any fun for a bardic because they like to last late, but if you have generic camping, or if you contact the autocrat WELL IN ADVANCE, she/he might tell you that you can use the eric to set up a brazier etc at. . .

                Oh, and because no one else has, I have to say it. . . "Where have all the bardics gone. .. long, long time ago!"

                L. AEMIL MAB DONNACHAIDH
                SHIRE OF MIDHAVEN, KINGDOM OF AN TIR
                CABIN BOY FOR THE BOTTA PUNTESSA
              • Melissa Kelly
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003

                  Halley <webmistress@...> wrote:

                  Oh, and because no one else has, I have to say it. . . "Where have all the bardics gone. .. long, long time ago!"

                  Weird! I was always taught to sing "...long time passing,. Where have all the flowers gone...long time ago."

                  Viola

                  "Whoever has good material for a story is grieved if the tale is not well told." Marie de France

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • sunshinegirl
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003
                    From: "JW" <jeisolomon@...>

                    Like you I wonder what happened to
                    > the bardics.
                    > -Götz

                    I found that, in moving from Caid (day tourneys, mostly, occaisional
                    primitive camping event) to Meridies (frequent cabin camping event) that
                    events with primitive camp sites and/or lots of tenting are the events that
                    tend to have bardic circles easier to find. Cabin camping, there might be
                    a bardic someplace, but unless you get invited to it, you won't hear it
                    because it is indoors.....

                    Melandra
                  • sunshinegirl
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 24, 2003
                      From: "Terry Dawson" <ladygenerica@...>

                      > And then the drummers find the fire, start playing and everything else is
                      > drowned out. How do you hold a bardic with singing or playing if there's a
                      > doumbeck on site? That sounds a little snotty, but it isn't meant to be. I
                      > like drumming circles sometimes. But they're easy to find :-)
                      >
                      > Gen

                      Well, if the drummers find a bardic circle fire, and it has a specific
                      format, fall upon the format. When I am hosting a bardic circle, I usually
                      will tell the format 2-3 times during the evening, as newcomers join in.
                      Another way to control the circle is to have a token, possibly a staff, or a
                      recorder tied with ribbons, that is passed around, indicating whose turn it
                      is. I have also been at circles that had a specific spot for a "stage" -
                      and if someone tried to start something, and was not on the "stage" they
                      were good naturedly told they had to go to that spot to perform....

                      Melandra
                    • greenstein@stargate.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
                        > And then the drummers find the fire, start playing and everything else
                        > is drowned out. How do you hold a bardic with singing or playing if
                        > there's a doumbeck on site?

                        Distant drums are fine. If someone brings a drum to a bardic circle, in
                        many cases that is like someone bringing a gun to a knife fight. It's
                        just not sporting. There is nothing wrong with saying, "Milord/Milady, we
                        are sharing stories and songs... can you entertain us with one of those,
                        instead?" If the circle has an MC, so much the easier.

                        Regards,
                        Michael
                      • mit1369@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
                          In a message dated 09/25/2003 8:40:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, greenstein@... writes:

                          Distant drums are fine.  If someone brings a drum to a bardic circle, in
                          many cases that is like someone bringing a gun to a knife fight.  It's
                          just not sporting.

                          My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as the drummer <accompanies> the others there shouldn't be any trouble.

                          Uadahlrich

                        • Randy Colby
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
                            --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, JW <jeisolomon@y...> wrote:
                            > It is a funny thing. I usually can't find organized
                            > bardics either. Though just last weekend I sat in the
                            > doorway of my pavilion and plinked away on my
                            > mandolin. People stopped by and listened. Within an
                            > hour there were nine people there with me. Also to
                            > clarify, I've been playing for less than six months so
                            > my playing isn't much more than my poorly played three
                            > song repertoire. Like you I wonder what happened to
                            > the bardics.
                            > -Götz

                            Please come to the Outlands, especially to Unser Hafen on the 4th of
                            July. That is the weekend of Glory! We have a large gathering in
                            Windkeep (Buford, WY), with a bardic every evening. One night will
                            be the traditional Celtic gathering, and another night Middle
                            Eastern, with the drumming and dancing this brings to mind. I'm sure
                            you will enjoy either one or both of these.

                            Colb'an Itchfoot the Lutemaker
                            Pencerdd of Unser Hafen

                            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                          • Randy Colby
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
                              --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Safya bint Ziyad \(Safya the
                              Silent\)" <savya@z...> wrote:
                              > my usual request sounds something like "ooo... hey, you
                              > guys are going to be drumming, right? What night is your quiet
                              night so I
                              > won't miss it when I host a bardic next door??" > Safya

                              I guess that is better than my method of running through a campsite
                              with a battle axe, hacking at every drum in site ;0}
                              Colb'an

                              Service.
                            • mit1369@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
                                In a message dated 09/25/2003 9:23:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xzoomy@... writes:

                                Please come to the Outlands, especially to Unser Hafen on the 4th of
                                July.  That is the weekend of Glory!  We have a large gathering in
                                Windkeep (Buford, WY), with a bardic every evening.

                                Or if that's not in your neighborhood come to Musicians Day:

                                http://grey-gargoyles.uchicago.edu/musicday/

                                Or Bardic Madness South:

                                http://12.100.136.197/bms5/

                                Uadahlrich

                              • Safya bint Ziyad (Safya the Silent)
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
                                  *LMAO* Oh dear... please tell me next time you do this - I just want to
                                  watch you weild a battle axe against those vicious, horrific, terrifying
                                  DRUMS!!!! *AAAAAHHHH*

                                  Safya
                                  > my usual request sounds something like "ooo... hey, you
                                  > guys are going to be drumming, right? What night is your quiet
                                  night so I
                                  > won't miss it when I host a bardic next door??" > Safya

                                  I guess that is better than my method of running through a campsite
                                  with a battle axe, hacking at every drum in site ;0}
                                  Colb'an
                                • Stephen R. Melvin
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                                    I'll take the drummers over the pipers any day.  Last Estrella, I was trying to sing a long, slow, sad love ballade, and a pair of pipers 3 camps over decided to "duel".  They were good, but they covered 1/3 of the war with a LOT of volume.  :)

                                    -Rathflaed
                                    Rathflaed DuNoir
                                    The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB
                                    http://www.chivalry.com/blackbard/

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                                      I'd suggest checking with the performer before accompanying them.  Even on a well known song with a common beat, the performer might intend to syncopate some parts or slow down/speed up portions to emphasize parts of the song.  Most of the time, it's fine but a drummer trying to keep a steady beat can really wreck the mood if they can't pick up on those things.

                                      -Rathflaed

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                                        > My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would
                                        > softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as
                                        > the drummer <accompanies> the others
                                        > there shouldn't be any trouble.
                                        >
                                        > Uadahlrich

                                        I think that's the big difference right there. At a usual bardic
                                        circle, I'd welcome a percussionist as much as I'd welcome anyone
                                        else who sings along. It adds greatly to the atmosphere.

                                        My objection is when a drummer (or more often, seven or eight of
                                        them) takes over uninvited and nobody else gets to perform. I saw it
                                        happen at an event this summer, in an area where we're just starting
                                        to re-establish traditional bardic performances. The feast had been
                                        in a large campsite, with maybe 60-90 people hanging around, and a
                                        nice area for bardic entertainment set by the fire. About 8-10
                                        people had performed one piece each, and then the drums started. And
                                        didn't stop. Several of us had hoped to do a second piece, and
                                        decided to patiently wait it out. Unfortunately, after maybe 30
                                        minutes I noticed the drummers were rotating in-and-out so there was
                                        no point in waiting for them to get tired and stop.

                                        I suppose the best intervention is prevention, such as having an MC
                                        and letting *all* performers know they're welcome to play within a 10-
                                        minute limit, whether it's song or story or instrumental.

                                        There's also an element of reading the audience. I did notice while
                                        the drummers were going, most of the audience wasn't actively paying
                                        attention, focusing more on their drinks and conversation and the
                                        general party atmosphere. The drumming was kinda like Muzak.
                                        Eventually five or six of us moved further off from the campfire and
                                        went back to singing, just for ourselves. Discovered we could pick
                                        songs that fit the pace of the drumming, and had ourselves a nice
                                        metronome.

                                        Just my two florins....
                                        --Lucia
                                      • Randy Colby
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                                          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Kathi Coutinho" <kcoutinho@a...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > > My friends daughter brings her bodrahn and oft times would
                                          > > softly accompany other bards' songs and stories. So long as
                                          > > the drummer <accompanies> the others
                                          > > there shouldn't be any trouble.
                                          > >
                                          > > Uadahlrich
                                          >
                                          > I think that's the big difference right there. At a usual bardic
                                          > circle, I'd welcome a percussionist as much as I'd welcome anyone
                                          > else who sings along. It adds greatly to the atmosphere.
                                          >
                                          > My objection is when a drummer (or more often, seven or eight of
                                          > them) takes over uninvited and nobody else gets to perform. >
                                          > Just my two florins....
                                          > --Lucia

                                          I must agree with this. I don't mind anyone performing, but a
                                          marathon performance by any one person, group, or even style becomes
                                          a bit boring. If the bardic is billed as Middle Eastern performance,
                                          drumming, dancing, etc. that is one thing. However, if it is for all
                                          there to enjoy, let's have variety. My own preference is Celtic, but
                                          I enjoy hearing and watching a performance of other styles, and would
                                          prefer a variety.
                                          Make mine shillings....
                                          Colb'an
                                        • mit1369@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                                            In a message dated 10/06/2003 9:32:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xzoomy@... writes:

                                            I must agree with this.  I don't mind anyone performing, but a
                                            marathon performance by any one person, group, or even style becomes
                                            a bit boring.  If the bardic is billed as Middle Eastern performance,
                                            drumming, dancing, etc. that is one thing.

                                            Quite right. There is definitely a difference between a Bardic Circle and a Haffla (sp?)
                                            and limiting time on performances is sometimes a regrettable necessity. We had to limit stories at our camps Pennsic Bardic Volleyball Challenge to 5 minutes after some stories went on for so long that some gentles left, went to other camps, came back and the story is <still> going on. I enjoy sagas but in this venue we had to start giving some people the "hook."

                                            Uadahlrich
                                          • jenny tavernier
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                                              Hey! (laughing) I have a 6 foot boat hook if any one needs it - (can also be used as a conducting staff) Jen

                                              Do you Yahoo!?