A Challenge

  • Todd Fischer
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
      Unto the illustrious Bards of the Knowne World does Laird Colyne Stewart
      give greetings,

      My friends and colleagues, as a bard and a chronicler I would like to put a
      challenge to this august company of minstrels, troubadours, trouveres,
      jongleurs, researchers, filkers, story tellers, fools, poets, performers and
      shaggy dogs.

      Namely: to, within the next three months, write and submit a NEW story,
      poem, song or article for your local newsletter.

      Your local chronicler is always in desperate need of quality material,
      material you can provide!

      Support your local group by supporting your local newsletter. Your
      chronicler will love you for it!

      And of course, please share what you've written on this list so we can all
      read it!

      Colyne

      Laird Colyne Stewart
      Baronial Chronicler
      'The Ursus'
      Barony of Septentria
      Kingdom of Ealdormere
      mailto:imelod@...
      http://www.pipcom.com/~thebear/ursus.htm
    • Azure MacGregor
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
        As the Baronial Bard of my Barony Lions Gate,

        And Archbishop of Septentria,

        I accept your challenge.

        Are there any other requirements you are seeking
        before my submission?

        In service
        Azure M. MacGregor al Khabeelah

        cc: assistant chronicler Lions Gate
        HE Steffano du etc etc.

        --- Todd Fischer <imelod@...> wrote:
        > Unto the illustrious Bards of the Knowne World
        > does Laird Colyne Stewart
        > give greetings,

        > Namely: to, within the next three months, write
        > and submit a NEW story,
        > poem, song or article for your local
        > newsletter.

        =====
        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Mark Baron
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
          I also accept this challenge! In fact, I just finished writing a filk...as soon as it gets approval from one of the principal parties in it's lyrics, I'll post it!

          YiS,

          Bastiano Francisco
          Chatelaine
          Shire of Tir Briste
          Kingdom of Meridies

          > Unto the illustrious Bards of the Knowne World does Laird Colyne Stewart
          > give greetings,
          >
          > My friends and colleagues, as a bard and a chronicler I would like to put a
          > challenge to this august company of minstrels, troubadours, trouveres,
          > jongleurs, researchers, filkers, story tellers, fools, poets, performers and
          > shaggy dogs.
          >
          > Namely: to, within the next three months, write and submit a NEW story,
          > poem, song or article for your local newsletter.
          >
          > Your local chronicler is always in desperate need of quality material,
          > material you can provide!
          >
          > Support your local group by supporting your local newsletter. Your
          > chronicler will love you for it!
          >
          > And of course, please share what you've written on this list so we can all
          > read it!
          >
          > Colyne
          >
          > Laird Colyne Stewart
          > Baronial Chronicler
          > 'The Ursus'
          > Barony of Septentria
          > Kingdom of Ealdormere
          > mailto:imelod@...
          > http://www.pipcom.com/~thebear/ursus.htm

        • Michael B. Greenstein
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
            > I also accept this challenge! In fact, I just finished writing a
            filk...as soon as it gets approval from one of the principal parties in it's
            lyrics, I'll post it!

            Greetings from Michael Alewright! I can get things rolling with a sonnet
            just published in my Baronial newsletter in commemoration of AEthelmearc's
            annual "Festival of the Passing of the Ice Dragon" event, which features an
            A&S competiton that always brings out the Kingdom's best.

            As Nature is the wond’rous art of God,
            So likewise is Man’s strong and able hand –
            Which, raised up to greatness from the sod,
            Submits the wilds of Nature to command.
            Created to create, its work is done
            With Nature’s clay, its pigment and its ore;
            The best have skill to glorify the sun,
            And give delight in peace and strength in war.
            How better can we worship Heaven’s Lord
            Than to create, as He, Himself has taught?
            For men are not made rich by what they hoard,
            But how they spend, and what their days have bought.
            With crafting hands, Man’s stature is increas’d;
            Without them, Man is but another beast.

            Regards,
            Michael
          • Mark Baron
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
              Huzzah, Michael! That was finely wrought, indeed!

              Bastiano

              > > I also accept this challenge! In fact, I just finished writing a
              > filk...as soon as it gets approval from one of the principal parties in it's
              > lyrics, I'll post it!
              >
              > Greetings from Michael Alewright! I can get things rolling with a sonnet
              > just published in my Baronial newsletter in commemoration of AEthelmearc's
              > annual "Festival of the Passing of the Ice Dragon" event, which features an
              > A&S competiton that always brings out the Kingdom's best.
              >
              > As Nature is the wond’rous art of God,
              > So likewise is Man’s strong and able hand –
              > Which, raised up to greatness from the sod,
              > Submits the wilds of Nature to command.
              > Created to create, its work is done
              > With Nature’s clay, its pigment and its ore;
              > The best have skill to glorify the sun,
              > And give delight in peace and strength in war.
              > How better can we worship Heaven’s Lord
              > Than to create, as He, Himself has taught?
              > For men are not made rich by what they hoard,
              > But how they spend, and what their days have bought.
              > With crafting hands, Man’s stature is increas’d;
              > Without them, Man is but another beast.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Michael
              >

              > Community email addresses:
              > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com

              > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS

              Inigo: "I could give you my word as a Spaniard..."
              Westley: "No good. I've known too many Spaniards."
              ~ The Princess Bride
            • Susanna Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
                Being as this information didn't make it into the Page, it occurs to me
                that there might be people who did not get the information regarding
                the competition who might want it. While I am NOT responsible for the
                dissemination of this information, the spirit of fairplay and the
                desire for a good field of competitiors prompts me to throw this out
                for anyone who might have missed it.

                The Bard of the West competition is being held, as traditional at
                Beltane. The categories are:
                One period or period style piece with some documentation to prove it.
                One piece In honor of the crown/ king/queen/ kingdom of the West
                One piece you consider your best work
                One piece composed on site that day on a topic TBA

                It was suggested that you have a backup piece for a tie breaker as
                well.

                Anyone looking for more info is free to email me privately and I'll see
                if I can dig up the thing that was sent out and event site information.

                Elsa

                http://search.yahoo.com
              • sarah dickie
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
                  This is my first attempt at this, so here goes.

                  Festive Hunt

                  The battles have been fought,
                  The classes have been taught,
                  Award given out and we are all partied out.
                  On that last special day we rise
                  Only the best, fastest, Soberest can win.

                  With coffee in the air,
                  And food on the mind,
                  Shall the hunt comense.
                  The feast hall boasts cheese,
                  The meeting hall bread,
                  And in a tent can cheese be found.
                  Yet the most sought after item lay unfound,
                  The scent its only tell-tale sign.

                  First found must be a viking woman,
                  Only she can lead on.
                  Heart of gold,