Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Shorter pieces

  • KaziBrionSCA
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 8, 2003
      Greetings from Brion Enkazi:

      There is definitely a place for longer pieces, and many of them don't break up into handy chunks.  I simply think that newer people, in particular, should be aware that long=risky.  You need to have the skill to hold the audience; you need to have the skill to read the audience and tell that they're ready for a big one; you need to have an awareness of your surroundings, your fellow bards and the local customs to make sure you're not being a "time hog"; and you can learn all of those things better, quicker and more securely by starting out with shorter pieces.

      For the sake of discussion, I'm attaching an excerpt from my outline of notes for a class I did called "Storytelling 201". (There's a chance that the national Storytelling Magazine may pick up the whole outline as an article!  Would that be cool or what?).  This was the section that dealt with length.

      YIS,

      Brion Enkazi, Aethelmearc

      1.      LENGTH. SHORTS (< 3 min.), REGULAR (3 – 10 min.), LONG (10 – 15 min.), and EPIC (15 and up).

      A.      Shorts (a/k/a short-shorts). Aesop. Jatakas. Parables. Chelm. There are books out there to look for. Heather Forest. Mitch Weiss & Martha Hamilton. Web pages too.

      B.     Regular – These are your core. A good rule for swaps and circles is “Every story should feel like five minutes.”

      C.     Long – This is the length you should aim to get your “big” stories into, understanding that you have to be a darned good teller or they’ll feel even longer. Nothing destroys circles and taints the art more than long tales from people who aren’t ready to tell them.

      ·         BTW, I have several stories that rarely get told because they’re too long for most environments regardless of entertainment value. They include my all-time favorite story and a number of original pieces, so I pay as much as anyone for following this rule.

      D.     Epic – If you do it right and the listeners fall into the fictive dream, you can tell for an hour and people will still guess “About 15 or 20 minutes”. You’d better be the headliner, however, if you’re going to take this much time. And how often are you THE headliner?

      ·         Festivals may be an exception. One very good teller I know uses hour-long Jack tales as a staple when he tells at a festival. He says they're so long that people have a chance to notice the crowd and gather around. He also makes them very funny and is a master of zany pace changes, which may help too, and of course he is the headliner at that time.

      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 12, 2003
        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Janie Duggan <Aprilmist2002@y...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks ladies and gentlemen you have been very kind to help me
        out.I get the hint of shorter pieces. I look forward to meeting some
        of you at a event.

        Good luck to you, and don't forget, have FUN!

        Cheers,
        Jehanne de Wodeford, West