Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: sort of off topic

  • Fred (Flieg) Hollander
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
      Flieg here --

      Doesn't sound off-topic to me. We're obviously into hi-tch medievalism here.

      I was looking into the question about a year or so ago and found several
      shareware programs which did wav to midi (or at least said they did). All
      were limited to one instrument (I.e. nothing is going to deconstruct a
      string quartet, much less a symphony.) I'd suggest going to tucows.com
      or shareware.com and doing some searching.

      And for the rest of the job, I *really* recommend Noteworthy Composer.
      It's shareware and relatively cheap. It handles pretty much anything the average
      SCA composer would need and has *good* output to standard printers. My
      current version is several years old, but with practice I can enter notes
      pretty rapidly, test them, change them, undo, move one note, move a phrase,
      etc.
      Playback is dependent on your midi samples, but once you have a midi
      you can convert that to a wav or mp3 easily, using other programs.
      It's lousy for _transcribing_ music, since you do have to enter every
      single note. On the other hand so is everything else.
      I don't know of any equivalent of OCR for music.

      At 09:26 AM 1/8/03 -0800, las wrote:

      >The good news is one of the major commercial notation programs has it built in.
      >The bad news (a) it's Finale, a $400 package and (b) I've never actually
      used it.
      >Lothar

      * * * Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OP, OL, etc.
      *|* *|* *|* flieg@...
      |===========| http://xray.cchem.berkeley.edu/flieg2/allmember
      (((Flieg Hollander, Chemistry Dept., U.C. Berkeley)))
      ===A crank.========= Old Used Duke ======Not a tool.=====
      [All subjects of the Crown are equal under its protection.]
    • Kataryna Dragonweaver <eclipsek@teluspla
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
        Gah!
        Out of my price range.
        -Kataryna

        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, las <elehes@y...> wrote:

        > The good news is one of the major commercial notation programs has
        it built in.
        > The bad news (a) it's Finale, a $400 package and (b) I've never
        actually used it.
        > Lothar
        > "Kataryna Dragonweaver <eclipsek@t...>" <eclipsek@t...> wrote:I've
        looked into this... and I've never found a good working program
        > to convert either wav or mp3 files to Midi.
        > Therefore I've very bothered to import midi into Noteworthy... I
        just
        > type the music into Noteworthy by hand - this is also painfully
        > labourous.
        >
        > If anyone can suggest a good program to convert from any other
        sound
        > file to midi I'd be happy.
        >
        > -Kataryna (who thinks she should just break down one day and buy a
        > midi keyboard.)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com

        > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS

        Service.

      • Kataryna Dragonweaver <eclipsek@teluspla
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
          I guess I'll have to go looking again (I think it would be two
          years ago that I was looking for wav to midi programs).
          I really only need one instrument.... since I usually only require
          the melody.
          Speaking of Noteworthy - you can output noteworthy files using
          copy/past in the print preview area to anywhere - usually I drop them
          onto MS frontpage and then save it as an html file... which also
          coniently saves all the pictures as good quality gifs which I than
          use where ever I want. I've found that cut/paste into MS word gives
          really crumby quality (unless you have the size exactly the same size
          as what you're going to use it at in MS word.... frankly.... what a
          pain).
          Also the buying price for Noteworthy Composer is quite resonable -
          considering the sort of program. (~40$ US)
          I seem to recall when I was searching I found a program that did
          OCR for music.... but at the time I think the price was 500-1000$ -
          ouch.
          -Kataryna
        • las
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003

            The OCR with Finale is fairly good, also.  BTW, if you qualify for a student discount you can usually get it for less then 150 at a couple on line stores.

             "Kataryna Dragonweaver <eclipsek@...>" <eclipsek@...> wrote:

[...]

              Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Fred (Flieg) Hollander
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
              At 11:23 AM 1/8/03 -0800, las wrote:

              >The OCR with Finale is fairly good, also. BTW, if you qualify for a
              student discount you can usually get it for less then 150 at a couple on
              line stores.

              Flieg here --

              Well, one learns something new every day (about the OCR). So if I am a
              student I can pay an only moderately outrageous amount instead of a truly
              horrendous amount? I'll stick to my $40 Noteworthy. Sometimes I swear that
              software marketing people have never heard of Laffer curves.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003

                lol - yeah, 'moderatly outrageous' sounds about right.  I needed it for some specialized stuff, and yes, I got the student discount (even though I took all of 2 college classes last year...).

                On another note, once you get the music in midi, you can transfer it reasonably well to any other program.

                Last, but not least, check out www.harmony-central.com/software for a really good computer/music resource.