Re: Tin Whistle music

  • wodeford <wodeford@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2002
      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Kataryna Dragonweaver (Susan
      Koziel) <eclipsek@t...>" <eclipsek@t...> wrote:
      > Ack! the site has gone through a change of colour. :)
      Yeah, but I like the new artwork better than that bodice ripper cover
      that was up for awhile.

      > Now to the real reason I started writing...
      > can someone give me a list of the common tin whistle tunes that get
      > played? (the names of the jig /reels /other tunes)
      >
      > I sometimes do much better learning music from notation then from
      ear
      > & I'd like to know what tunes to go searching for.

      "O'Neill's Music of Ireland" is pretty comprehensive, though it's
      simply pages of titles and tunes. If you're looking for attributions
      (author, date, etc.), it doesn't have them. However, it's got
      literally hundreds of tunes, including a good bit of O'Carolan.
      Amazon has it:

      /0786624981/qid=1040435534/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-0497133-0340758?
      v=glance&s=books&n=507846

      Amazon also carries Geraldine Cotter's "Traditional Irish Tin Whistle
      Tutor" if anyone's looking for a decent starter collection, and
      her "Irish Session Tunes: 100 Irish Dance Tunes & Airs." I have not
      seen the latter, but I liked the first.

      Jehanne de Wodeford