Yule Request

  • Maggie Schreier
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
      Well met goodfolk!

      With the Solstice coming up we are planning a big Yule Feast here in
      the northlands of NH. We have the menu planned, garb laid out, and
      entertainment booked....

      My question for you good folk, is this -

      I'm looking for a nice (not too lengthy) Yule blessing to either
      recite or sing before tucking in. I'm open to English or Latin (or
      Gaelic with phonetics included!)

      If anyone has benedictions to share it would be greatly appretiated!!!

      Thanks!

      Mistress Vyvane
      The Phoenix Roost Tavern
    • r_c_macfrode
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
        Your in Stonemarche? Me too, please forgive me but I don't recognize
        you from your screen name, (doesn't mean I haven't met you already.)
        Anyway, Greetings, I'm Laird Ruadh Cruidh MacFrode your local Bard,
        and I would say that a good, short, medieval, holiday blessing would
        be "Wassail!", which I've been informed comes from the old
        English "Was Hael" meaning "good health". There are probably those
        here who know better than me however. I take it you will be
        attending the Baronial Yule event? If so please introduce yourself,
        it's always nice to put faces with the screen names. I'm easy to
        find, as I'll be leading the yule carols and maybe teaching some
        dancing. I Look forward to seeing you there.

        --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "Maggie Schreier" <ategenos@h...> wrote:
        > Well met goodfolk!
        >
        > With the Solstice coming up we are planning a big Yule Feast here
        in
        > the northlands of NH. We have the menu planned, garb laid out, and
        > entertainment booked....
        >
        > My question for you good folk, is this -
        >
        > I'm looking for a nice (not too lengthy) Yule blessing to either
        > recite or sing before tucking in. I'm open to English or Latin (or
        > Gaelic with phonetics included!)
        >
        > If anyone has benedictions to share it would be greatly
        appretiated!!!

        > Thanks!
        >
        > Mistress Vyvane
        > The Phoenix Roost Tavern
      • r_c_macfrode
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
          OOOPS! My mistake, I've had it pointed out that the correct spelling
          would be "Waes Heal", (not "Was Heal" as I had stated earlier) and
          that the language is actually Saxon, not Old English. I was right in
          remembering the translation at least...
        • Gregory Rubin

            You're correct that it is from the Old English, but the words are slightly
            off. The actual words are "Wes hal". With "wes" being the imperative from
            of "to be" and "hal" meaning "healthy" (from which we get the modern word
            "whole").

            Enjoy and good luck!

            Gregory Rubin
            gr001k@...
            PGP ID#: 0xC818DA79

            P.S. I knew that college course I'm taking in Old English would prove
            useful some day . . .

            Your in Stonemarche? Me too, please forgive me but I don't recognize
            you from your screen name, (doesn't mean I haven't met you already.)
            Anyway, Greetings, I'm Laird Ruadh Cruidh MacFrode your local Bard,
            and I would say that a good, short, medieval, holiday blessing would
            be "Wassail!", which I've been informed comes from the old
            English "Was Hael" meaning "good health". There are probably those
            here who know better than me however. I take it you will be
            attending the Baronial Yule event? If so please introduce yourself,
            it's always nice to put faces with the screen names. I'm easy to
            find, as I'll be leading the yule carols and maybe teaching some
            dancing. I Look forward to seeing you there.

            - --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "Maggie Schreier" <ategenos@h...> wrote:
            > Well met goodfolk!
            >
            > With the Solstice coming up we are planning a big Yule Feast here
            in
            > the northlands of NH. We have the menu planned, garb laid out, and
            > entertainment booked....
            >
            > My question for you good folk, is this -
            >
            > I'm looking for a nice (not too lengthy) Yule blessing to either
            > recite or sing before tucking in. I'm open to English or Latin (or
            > Gaelic with phonetics included!)
            >
            > If anyone has benedictions to share it would be greatly
            appretiated!!!

            > Thanks!
            >
            > Mistress Vyvane
            > The Phoenix Roost Tavern

            Subscribe: SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

          • Susanna Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
              My advice is to avoid benedictions as religious invocations are
              inappropriate to our multi-creed society. In fact, Corpora II. F. is
              fairly clear on this point.

              Elsa

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com