Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Dreamstone bardics

Expand Messages
  • kestrel@hawk.org
    Who from the list will we have at Dreamstone? (Meridies, Georgia, I-20 exit 105) Who will be available to handle bardic circles? I would like to have a daytime
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      Who from the list will we have at Dreamstone?
      (Meridies, Georgia, I-20 exit 105)

      Who will be available to handle bardic circles?

      I would like to have a daytime bardic along with the scheduled
      evening bardic.

      schedule
      Court around 5
      Feast around 7
      Feast end around 9
      cleanup for revel 9-9:30
      revel around 9:30
      bardic around 10 pm.

      Anyone want to supply an area or pavillion for bardic gatherings?

      If I try to pack our pavillion we will be unable to supply a ride for the
      gentle that we have promised a ride.

      Kestrel of Wales aka Gwyn ap Gwyn

      Bryan S. McDaniel SCA aka Lord Kestrel of Wales
      http://kestrel.hawk.org/sig.html
    • kestrel@hawk.org
      ... Forgot to mention that the event is this coming weekend. April 26-28, 2002. Kestrel of Wales Meridies Bryan S. McDaniel SCA aka Lord Kestrel of Wales
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        On 22 Apr 2002, at 12:41, kestrel@... wrote:

        > Who from the list will we have at Dreamstone?
        > (Meridies, Georgia, I-20 exit 105)
        Forgot to mention that the event is this coming weekend.
        April 26-28, 2002.

        Kestrel of Wales
        Meridies

        Bryan S. McDaniel SCA aka Lord Kestrel of Wales
        http://kestrel.hawk.org/sig.html
      • windsingersmoon
        Barring mechanical problems, the mechanic Thinks he got fixed, maybe, after Fool s War, I ll be at Dreamstone. But don t expect me to sing. Ya ai nt never
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          Barring mechanical problems, the mechanic Thinks he got fixed,
          maybe, after Fool's War, I'll be at Dreamstone. But don't expect me
          to sing. Ya ai'nt never heard me do so, before, and that's been out
          of respect for the real bards, and out of sympathy/consideration for
          the folks, like me, who come to appreciate the bardic talents of
          others.
          Shara


          --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., kestrel@h... wrote:
          > On 22 Apr 2002, at 12:41, kestrel@h... wrote:
          >
          > > Who from the list will we have at Dreamstone?
          > > (Meridies, Georgia, I-20 exit 105)
          > Forgot to mention that the event is this coming weekend.
          > April 26-28, 2002.
          >
          > Kestrel of Wales
          > Meridies
          >
          > Bryan S. McDaniel SCA aka Lord Kestrel of Wales
          > http://kestrel.hawk.org/sig.html
        • kestrel@hawk.org
          ... Who said you have to sing. I heard Shield Wall recited at the Meridian Coronation Bardic. I told a story and read or recited two of my poems. A young
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22, 2002
          • 0 Attachment
            On 22 Apr 2002, at 20:00, windsingersmoon wrote:

            > But don't expect me to
            > sing.

            Who said you have to sing. I heard Shield Wall recited at
            the Meridian Coronation Bardic. I told a story and read
            or recited two of my poems. A young lady who is very good
            graced us with two of her own poetic creations. A few stories
            were told and one good gentle entertained us with their bagpipe
            playing. There are more ways to add to bardic if you can not
            or will not sing. We have a good gentle who comes to bardic
            and will be moving to Atlantia later who as a general rule does
            not sing. He tells good stories and recites good verse.

            Kestrel of Wales

            Bryan S. McDaniel SCA aka Lord Kestrel of Wales
            http://kestrel.hawk.org/sig.html
          • wodeford
            ... me ... out ... for ... My lady, don t pull that wallflower I m-not-a-real-bard stuff here. This is the SCA. ;- I m not a bard: I m an amateur, self taught
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 22, 2002
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "windsingersmoon" <asa.wood@e...> wrote:
              > Barring mechanical problems, the mechanic Thinks he got fixed,
              > maybe, after Fool's War, I'll be at Dreamstone. But don't expect
              me
              > to sing. Ya ai'nt never heard me do so, before, and that's been
              out
              > of respect for the real bards, and out of sympathy/consideration
              for
              > the folks, like me, who come to appreciate the bardic talents of
              > others.

              My lady, don't pull that wallflower I'm-not-a-real-bard stuff here.
              This is the SCA. ;->

              I'm not a bard: I'm an amateur, self taught musician who sings a bit
              in my spare time while working a desk job. Many of the members on
              this list are also amateur performers. We do what we do as a hobby,
              because we love it.

              Take the chance. You will never find a better audience than in the
              SCA. We've been in your shoes. I've had the shakes so bad I could
              barely play, but I kept trying and learning and growing because
              people heard my first fumbling efforts and encouraged me to keep at
              it.

              I double dog dare ya. ;->

              Jehanne de Wodeford, Danegeld Tor, West
            • Kathleen A. Roberts
              actually, for a while there in the outlands, it seemed like poetry and storytelling were becoming a lost art. it was most unusual when i started playing for
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 23, 2002
              • 0 Attachment
                actually, for a while there in the outlands, it seemed like poetry and
                storytelling were becoming a lost art. it was most unusual when i started
                playing for someone NOT to sing or play recorder.

                not all music is sung or played on an instrument. ;-)

                cailte

                --On Monday, April 22, 2002, 7:28 PM -0400 kestrel@... wrote:

                > On 22 Apr 2002, at 20:00, windsingersmoon wrote:
                >
                >> But don't expect me to
                >> sing.
                >
                > Who said you have to sing. I heard Shield Wall recited at
                > the Meridian Coronation Bardic. I told a story and read
                > or recited two of my poems. A young lady who is very good
                > graced us with two of her own poetic creations. A few stories
                > were told and one good gentle entertained us with their bagpipe
                > playing. There are more ways to add to bardic if you can not
                > or will not sing. We have a good gentle who comes to bardic
                > and will be moving to Atlantia later who as a general rule does
                > not sing. He tells good stories and recites good verse.
                >
                > Kestrel of Wales
                >
                > Bryan S. McDaniel SCA aka Lord Kestrel of Wales
                > http://kestrel.hawk.org/sig.html
                >
                > Community email addresses:
                > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com
                > Subscribe: SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com
                > Unsubscribe: SCA_BARDS-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                > List owner: SCA_BARDS-owner@egroups.com
                >
                > Shortcut URL to this page:
                > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS
                >
                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              • windsingersmoon
                Okay, I confess. ONCE, 18 years ago, I sang one song at one revel. (Cold Iron) My voice absolutely quivered through the whole song, I was so afraid to be so
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 25, 2002
                • 0 Attachment
                  Okay, I confess. ONCE, 18 years ago, I sang one song at one revel.
                  (Cold Iron)
                  My voice absolutely quivered through the whole song, I was so afraid
                  to be so much the center of attention. To be fair, as absolutely
                  awful, as I sounded, and I sounded the very worst kind of awful,
                  folks were more than kind in their response.

                  I'm sure such things can be compared to the first time one gets the
                  half courage to finally brave the classic swimming hole at Pennsic.
                  To sing for the first time is like bareing something usually hidden
                  from the public, but for me, the swimming hole was easier, and got
                  more so over time. The trick was to learn to totally blank the self-
                  concious mind, and just 'do' it. To be just as focused on NOT
                  thinking about what you're doing, as you were focused on the horror
                  of it before. So, tell y'all what I'll do. I'll keep
                  practicing at home, and some revel I'll brave the revel bareing of
                  soul,.... soon as I can stop thinking about everyone stareing at
                  me,....
                  Shara <G>


                  --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "windsingersmoon" <asa.wood@e...> wrote:
                  > > Barring mechanical problems, the mechanic Thinks he got fixed,
                  > > maybe, after Fool's War, I'll be at Dreamstone. But don't
                  expect
                  > me
                  > > to sing. Ya ai'nt never heard me do so, before, and that's been
                  > out
                  > > of respect for the real bards, and out of sympathy/consideration
                  > for
                  > > the folks, like me, who come to appreciate the bardic talents of
                  > > others.
                  >
                  > My lady, don't pull that wallflower I'm-not-a-real-bard stuff here.
                  > This is the SCA. ;->
                  >
                  > I'm not a bard: I'm an amateur, self taught musician who sings a
                  bit
                  > in my spare time while working a desk job. Many of the members on
                  > this list are also amateur performers. We do what we do as a hobby,
                  > because we love it.
                  >
                  > Take the chance. You will never find a better audience than in the
                  > SCA. We've been in your shoes. I've had the shakes so bad I could
                  > barely play, but I kept trying and learning and growing because
                  > people heard my first fumbling efforts and encouraged me to keep at
                  > it.
                  >
                  > I double dog dare ya. ;->
                  >
                  > Jehanne de Wodeford, Danegeld Tor, West
                • wodeford
                  ... See? MY first solo SCA performance resulted in a parade of total strangers as well as friends asking me for the remainder of the event if I was all right.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 25, 2002
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "windsingersmoon" <asa.wood@e...> wrote:
                    > To be fair, as absolutely awful, as I sounded, and I sounded the
                    > very worst kind of awful, folks were more than kind in their
                    > response.
                    See? MY first solo SCA performance resulted in a parade of total
                    strangers as well as friends asking me for the remainder of the event
                    if I was all right. ;-> I didn't die, I kept at it, and it gets a
                    little less terrifying each time.

                    > So, tell y'all what I'll do. I'll keep practicing at home, and some
                    > revel I'll brave the revel bareing of soul,.... soon as I can stop
                    > thinking about everyone stareing at me,....
                    Atta girl, Shara. You can do it. Choose an informal gathering, sit
                    among friends if you can, and STAY THERE when it's your turn. Stand
                    if you can, sit if you're more comfortable and sing from there
                    instead of moving to the center of all those staring eyes. Do a piece
                    you know really well - no sense stressing out over forgetting words.
                    Breathe. You can do it.

                    Good luck,
                    Jehanne de Wodeford, Danegeld Tor, West
                  • windsingersmoon
                    Well, it wasn t to be at Dreamstone Tourney. We were at a dance, went in search of an ODM meeting, 5 of us showed up, two fell asleep waiting for more, and
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 29, 2002
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Well, it wasn't to be at Dreamstone Tourney.

                      We were at a dance, went in search of an ODM meeting, 5 of us
                      showed up, two fell asleep waiting for more, and only one braved the
                      cold water, then he and I went in search of a revel while the other
                      three went to bed. We found no revel and ended up Smerfing the
                      kitchen frig. and talking a couple of hours hopeing to hear revelers
                      off in the distance some where, or wandering about, but the whole
                      site seemed asleep, and only Raven showed up, looking for paper for
                      the 'necessary' room. We offered him soap and a chicken leg.
                      Then we went off in search of our own beds. The only song I had on
                      me was the one about the Road to Rome that someone found for me.
                      That, and "The Bonnie Ship the Diamond" (a whaleing song that's got
                      a neat cheerful sound, and Cold Iron and "Cape Horn" (another sailing
                      song) kept going round in my noggin, all week-end. So maybe I'm a
                      wood-carver who would be a bard, if my audience was drunk enough !<G>
                      Shara,....(oh well, there's another event in 3 weeks,.....I'll
                      practice, til then, and then go looking for a drunken party,.....or
                      maybe I should just get drunk enough,.....nope, t'won't work,....I
                      don't drink,.....oh well, back to plan 'A' <G> )

                      --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "windsingersmoon" <asa.wood@e...> wrote:
                      > > To be fair, as absolutely awful, as I sounded, and I sounded
                      the
                      > > very worst kind of awful, folks were more than kind in
                      their
                      > > response.
                      > See? MY first solo SCA performance resulted in a parade of total
                      > strangers as well as friends asking me for the remainder of the
                      event
                      > if I was all right. ;-> I didn't die, I kept at it, and it gets a
                      > little less terrifying each time.
                      >
                      > > So, tell y'all what I'll do. I'll keep practicing at home, and
                      some
                      > > revel I'll brave the revel bareing of soul,.... soon as I can
                      stop
                      > > thinking about everyone stareing at me,....
                      > Atta girl, Shara. You can do it. Choose an informal gathering, sit
                      > among friends if you can, and STAY THERE when it's your turn. Stand
                      > if you can, sit if you're more comfortable and sing from there
                      > instead of moving to the center of all those staring eyes. Do a
                      piece
                      > you know really well - no sense stressing out over forgetting
                      words.
                      > Breathe. You can do it.
                      >
                      > Good luck,
                      > Jehanne de Wodeford, Danegeld Tor, West
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.