Re: greetings, also Bookmarks reminder

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., S Joyce <finnthefool@y...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > Greetings to all. I am new to the list and thought I would
      introduce myself. I am Finn the Fool of the shire of Hartstone in
      the kingdom of AEthelmaerc. I am an unemplyed jester (nobody's fool)
      and am new to the SCA. I am also a novice bard and am looking to
      chat with others in the known world as well as others from my neck of
      the woods. I am interested in bawdy songs - both traditional as well
      as filk - and would like some help on finding guitar tablature for
      the same.

      Greetings and welcome,

      We have a list of internet links at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA_BARDS/links where I have taken the
      liberty of posting some web addresses that may be of interest,
      including one devoted to SCA filk and two for traditional folk music.

      If anybody has URLs for websites that have useful information,
      put 'em up there.

      Cheers,
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Danegeld Tor, West
    • jrmorones <jrmorones@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 19, 2003
        Greetings follows bards!

        A question for you...

        Is there a good resource collection of period songs (on the net?)?
        I am looking for something simple that could be used for a Bardic
        circle or simple sit around and sing. I am looking for songs mostly
        in English, but other languages are welcome. I would like folk type
        songs, drinking songs, etc.. With music notation would be very
        helpful. Mostely, I would like period songs, if possible.

        Has anyone started up a peer to peer system in order to share the
        wealth?

        I am in the beginnings of putting together a songbook to share with
        other musicians and want a large collection and variety.

        Any thoughts?

        Thank you, in advance for your comments and assistance.

        Respectfully,

        Giachino Morone Lococo de San Filippo
      • Stephen Melvin
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 19, 2003
          The Honorable Lady Shaughnessy has put together songbooks and CD's to go
          with them. She kind of took over from Baroness Julitta des Cheveaux of
          Atlantia who used to do the same thing on cassettes. They include period,
          traditional and SCA songs. I will pass your message on to her and she can
          get in tough with you directly.

          -Rathflaed DuNoir
          The Black Bard of Meridies, MSoB
          http://www.chivalry.com/blackbard/

          PS: Julitta's cassettes might also be around somewhere. Check with the
          Militant Bards in your area to see if anyone has copies.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 19, 2003
            --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "jrmorones <jrmorones@y...>"
            <jrmorones@y...> wrote:
            > Greetings follows bards!
            >
            > A question for you...
            >
            > Is there a good resource collection of period songs (on the net?)?
            > I am looking for something simple that could be used for a Bardic
            > circle or simple sit around and sing. I am looking for songs
            mostly
            > in English, but other languages are welcome.

            Have you been to our links yet?
            can get you started.

            Cheers,
            Jehanne de Wodeford and monkeys
          • Gryphon
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 19, 2003
              could you also pass on that I would like to get in contact with the
              Honorable Lady... I have some of Julitta's tapes, and would love to have
              some newer material.
              My deepest thanks,
              Aifric Ni Fhaolain
              gryphonsinger@...

            • Norm Teck <normteck@frontiernet.net>
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 20, 2003
                FWIW, I'm setting up a webserver to host bardic resources for
                the Kingdom of Aethelmearc. I've been struggling with the hardware
                for the past several weeks and hope to reach resolution within a
                week. I've already contacted Lord Chengir who has already written
                the html with style sheets with a slightly different look for each
                kingdom. When that's done and tested I'll buy the appropriate domain
                and will host the site from my home until somebody wants it more
                than I do.
                I have some period URLs at my office. If I can grab a spare
                moment (I work on a technical support hotline) I'll post them.
                I already have a collection of period instrumental music waiting
                to be uploaded to the site and I've been a folk singer for 50 years
                and a lot of the stuff is period. I could post lyrics, line scores
                and guitar tablatures.
                If you need a song chorded I can do that on the fly, too.
                Raffaello
              • Paul DeLisle
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 20, 2003
                  > I already have a collection of period instrumental music waiting
                  > to be uploaded to the site and I've been a folk singer for 50 years
                  > and a lot of the stuff is period. I could post lyrics, line scores
                  > and guitar tablatures.

                  May I suggest an addendum/modification to your *most* worthy idea
                  (particularly for lyrical pieces):
                  Don't exclude post-period pieces! *Include* them, *with* footnotes;
                  describing their earliest recorded date, author, etc. This allows
                  *excluding* documentation (for Eisteddfodds and other competitions), as well
                  as *including* documentation. It also allows a contentious bard to give the
                  lineage of a particular (perhaps requested) piece (Many is the time I have
                  performed a clamored-for piece, with the caveat of: "Very well, however this
                  *isn't a period piece, it's from 18XX, from the [blabbity-blab] collection;
                  and besides, it's after midnight...)

                  In Service, I remain
                  Alden Pharamond
                  Tempio, Ansteorra
                • jrmorones <jrmorones@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 20, 2003
                    Thank you all very much for your rapid responses.

                    You net suggestions were terrific. I spent a great deal of time
                    last night poking around.

                    I too will eventually set up a site to share what I have. But if
                    someone out there has a lot of free time to set up a central point
                    for this stuff, please let me know. I will be happy to send what I
                    have along.

                    Best wishes and kind thoughts.

                    Giachino Morone Lococo de San Filippo
                  • Jessica Holder
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 22, 2003
                      You should try checking out Mudcat.org (or is it mud-cat.org). Folk database
                      with midi's.

                      Lady Christine the Good
                      > Is there a good resource collection of period songs (on the net?)?
                      > I am looking for something simple that could be used for a Bardic
                      > circle or simple sit around and sing. I am looking for songs mostly
                      > in English, but other languages are welcome. I would like folk type
                      > songs, drinking songs, etc.. With music notation would be very
                      > helpful. Mostely, I would like period songs, if possible.
                      >
                      > Has anyone started up a peer to peer system in order to share the
                      > wealth?
                      >
                      > I am in the beginnings of putting together a songbook to share with
                      > other musicians and want a large collection and variety.
                      >
                      > Any thoughts?
                      >
                      > Thank you, in advance for your comments and assistance.
                      >
                      > Respectfully,
                      >
                      > Giachino Morone Lococo de San Filippo
                      >

                      > Community email addresses:
                      > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com

                      > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS

                    • Greg Lindahl
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 23, 2003
                        > > I am looking for something simple that could be used for a Bardic
                        > > circle or simple sit around and sing. I am looking for songs mostly
                        > > in English, but other languages are welcome. I would like folk type
                        > > songs, drinking songs, etc.. With music notation would be very
                        > > helpful. Mostely, I would like period songs, if possible.

                        Two fairly easy-to-use sources of such songs:

                        http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lists/pre1600.html
                        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/songbook/

                        I'd love to see more similar resources -- now that my pile of crap
                        from Atlantia has finally reached me out West, I may even find my
                        good microphone...

                        -- Gregory Blount
                      • bookghoul
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2004
                          I am the bard of the Shire of Dragonsmarch in the Kingdom of
                          Artemisia. In mundane life I am a librarian. So if any of you need
                          help tracking down a story, a song, or some little piece of
                          information that has slipped through the cracks of time, just asked
                          and I'll do what I can to help.
                          Oook

                          Troailtys Coisich
                          P.S. I have posted a picture of myself in the Storyteller file
                        • Blake Ervin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 28, 2006
                            greetings all from William Moffat of Clan Moffat