Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: An Tir's Bardic "organization"

  • Briana K
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
      , not as such. Conor o Draoi was working on something, but... it's since
      collapsed... you maiing me an offer I can't refuse? :)

      Briana K

      kataryna_dragonweaver wrote:

      > --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., Briana K <briana-k@s...> wrote:
      > >> (Personally I like the idea of an Avacal Secret Society...
      > although the
      > > acronym might need some work...:))

      > BTW is there a webpage for the AnTir bards? (If not email me off the
      > list about this)
      > -Kataryna
    • Bruder Wilhelm Frawenlop
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
        Greetings all,

        I began my SCA life in the Barony of Madronne, Kingdom of An Tir. Several
        years ago I moved down to Trimaris. With the help of others, we formed the
        Performing Artists Guild of Trimaris. WE are voluntary organization that
        promotes the Bardic Arts in our Kingdom.

        If you were here in Trimaris, you could spot a member by the batch of
        ribbons that they wear. Each ribbon denotes an area of interest in the
        Bardic Arts. Blue for vocal music, green for instrumental performance,
        plaid for dance, etc etc. A member also wears a Purple ribbon to show they
        are a Guild. The King and Queen of Trimaris are our Royal Patrons and wear
        a full set of ribbons during their Reign. Each of the three sets of
        Territorial Barons and Baronesses wear Patron Ribbons as well.

        We are not a progressive Guild. Outstanding members are recognized as
        Deans of the Guild. Teh initial set of Founding Deans wear a Gold Braid in
        their ribbon set. Those recognized as Deans following the founding of the
        Guild are given a silver braid to add to their ribbon set.

        We co-sponsor two Bardic competition during the year. Plus our members,
        like myself, also have established Bardic competitions that have become
        traditions. You might even see some of our members at Pennsic.

        I have often thought it would be fun to establish a sister Guild in An
        Tir. The An Tir Performing Artists Guild (ATPAG). With the same system of
        ribbons for area of specialties in the performing arts. The difference
        would be that the An Tir Guild members would wear a Black Ribbon instead of
        a purple ribbon. If anybody is interested please contact me. I could
        send along a copy of our Royal Charter.

        In service,

        Prior Wilhelm

        At 11:15 AM 3/1/02 -06-30, you wrote:

        >BTW, Rathfaled, you did a good job on outlining the equivalencies in the
        >chain of "Bardistry", That covers what *you* do, pretty solidly. You
        >missed the competition aspect, but I am aware this is different in every
        >land. Another way to get seen and heard, and get honest critical
        >commentary on what you do is to compete. :)
        >
        >I am answering that one question directed to me. :)
        >

        >Qoth Kataryna:
        > > >A Bard....
        > > >They have a identity (you can point to someone and say She/he's a
        > > >bard... like you can point to someone and say She/he's a knight). But
        > > >in Avacal (unless I'm unaware of the Avacal Secret Society of Bards)
        >
        >Responsit Rathflaed: Well if you were aware, then it wouldn't be a
        >secret, would it? Briana, is
        > > there a formal group in An Tir? If not, should there be one? It sounds
        > > like there is a need and I seem to recall you trying to set something up a
        > > few years back...
        >
        >There is no formal organisation for the performers of An Tir. The
        >Kingdom Bard serves as a central information disemination source for the
        >Royalty and those seeking performers, and attempts to answer questions
        >related to the Bardic Arts. So when I get a call asking for a piper, I
        >send along the askee's contact info to all the pipers I know... that
        >sort of thing. The key to the success of the Office is the maintenance
        >of the Bardic Registry, a listing of all the performers (we include
        >dancers) in the realm.
        >
        >The Officer is chosen as any other Kingdom Office: recommendation of the
        >previous Officer, continued by the Kingdom Misister overseeing, and then
        >confirmed and warranted by TRM's.
        >
        >The Office was booming a few short years ago, but there was a changeover
        >that we are still recovering from: it is as you say, the success of such
        >things depends on the commitment of the person in charge.
        >
        >(Personally I like the idea of an Avacal Secret Society... although the
        >acronym might need some work...:))
        >

        >Briana Kassia
        >Kingdom Bard of An Tir (Whee!)
        >
        >PS: The "Whee!" marks this as an official correspondence of the Office
        >of Kingdom Bard, as opposed to Briana's usual opinionated blathering. :)
        >

        >Community email addresses:
        > Post message: SCA_BARDS@egroups.com
        >
        >Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.egroups.com/community/SCA_BARDS

        Prior Wilhelm Frawenlop von Reisende
        A Founding Dean of the Performing Artists Guild of Trimaris
        Prior of the Abtei von Die Heilege Jungfrau, Maria MutterGottes, von dem
        Reisende.
        Shire of Castlemere, Kingdom of Trimaris

      • Trey Capnerhurst
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
          I would LOVE to see a Guild or Society planned out by the time my Collegium
          rolls around. Attendees can prepare for future membership, the group can
          sponser regular classes, and with a badge or symbol, and everyone can tell
          how much the art is practiced without attending every performance. Nothing
          promotes our art better than having a Guild or Society.

          Another Kingdom prepared just such a charter recently, and since it's part
          of Kingdom records, I'm sure no one will disapprove of my replicating it
          here. If we do manage to hash something out, I would like to see all
          performers including, esp. dancers.

          Traesach

          To all those whom these presents come, be it known
          throughout the land that there shall be a Guild of Entertainers to be known
          as " The Worshipful company of Bards, Troubadours and Jongleurs of Lochac"
          The Guild is to be formed of bards, poets, rhymers,
          musicians, singers, jugglers, tumblers, whistlers,
          jesters, illusionists, and other entertainers who so
          wish to share and enrich their skills and knowledge, within the Kingdom of
          Lochac.
          Mission:
           To provide an atmosphere in which the
          entertainers of the Kingdom can
          provide a nurturing environment to support each
          other, recognise each
          other's efforts and achievements and to encourage
          the growth of the
          performing arts to enhance the Kingdom.
           The Guild shall strive to promote th
          entertaining arts of people in
          the populace of Lochac and the Society. The
          promotion of these arts, it is hoped, will bring joy, entertainment, and a
          heightening of medieval character to the general populace, and to the
          entertainers themselves.  The Guild will attempt to organise and
          enthuse the entertainers of Lochac in a friendly and advisory role, be it
          in form of encouragement, collegia, supply of source materials, information,
          a helping hand, or any other means, at the perogative of the individuals
          involved.
           The Guild shall organise competitions to
          promote the entertaining arts and will give out prizes or awards where the
          seem appropriate.
           The Guild will, where possible, promote the
          use of genuine period material. However, the Guild will not reject, ban, or
          repress, or make disapproving comment on any method or type of entertainment
          which maintains a period feel, even if it is not a genuine period piece.
           The Guild shall pay courtesy to the college
          of Arts & Sciences and assist with any reasonable request for their records,
          and taking council from their experience. Ordinances of Governance of
          the Guild. The ordinance of governance may be changed through discussion of
          the members of the Guild.
          Article I. Council of the Guild(a) A council of the
          guild shall be made up of the provost of all the local chapters of the guild
          and any members of the guild who wish to participate.
          Article II. Officers
          Section 2.01 Provost of Entertainers:
          (a) The Provost of Entertainers shall be responsible
          for the administration, running, and publicity of the Guild. The Provost
          shall report to the Principality Officer of Arts and Sciences.
          (b) The Provost is responsible for maintaining the
          records of the Guild including the members ranking.
          (c) This office shall be held for two years, or
          until the office can no longer be fulfilled. The new Provost shall be chosen
          by the old Provost in consultation with the members of the Guild.
          (d) Shall maintain the records for the Guild.
          (e) Shall supply material from the Guild to those
          who request it and if necessary a fee may be charged for printing, postage,
          etc.
          Section 2.02 Bard of Lochac:
          (a) The nominal patron of the Guild will be the Bard
          of Lochac, as the crown representative to the guild, is appointed by the
          King & Queen at their coronation. The role of patron is a purely ceremonial
          role and has no administrative power within the guild. The Bard of Lochac
          Shall act as a figure head of the Guild during their term of office.
          (b) Shall endeavour to attend all Principality
          events which take place during their term of office.
          (c) Shall report any information necessary for the
          records of the Guild to the Provost.
          (d) Shall, during their term of office, attempt to
          enthuse and encourage the entertaining arts in Lochac as they see fit, and
          shall maintain the strongest public profile of the Guild.
          (e) Shall hold a "Bardic Event" at the end of their
          term of office, for the investiture of the next Bard of Lochac or
          proxy.Section 2.03 Chronicler
          (a) Shall publish "The Muse", the newsletter of the
          Guild.
          Article III. Membership:
          (a) The guild consists of gentles who have the
          desire to perform at the level of their chosing (formally or informally).
          They should also have the desire to expand their repertoire and skills
          (b) Performance at any event within Lochac
          automatically qualifies a person to enter the guild if they so chose.
          (c) All members of the Guild shall observe and abide
          by the ordinances and governances of the Guild.
          (d) Membership of the guild may only be
          refused/withdrawn if a person brings either the guild, the kingdom or the
          society into disrepute. The vote of such a motion shall be conducted as a
          secret ballot by the Provost of the guild (or other nominated person if
          there is a conflict of interest). The motion must be carried by a
          seventy-five percent majority vote of seventy-five percent of members of
          the guild.
          (e) Members of the Guild may display the badge of
          the Guild, which shall be ����� (details as yet unstated).
          (f) The duties of the members of the Guild shall be
          to entertain for
          their own enjoyment and that of the populace of the
          Kingdom of Lochac. Members should also encourage, through example and
          exhotation, other entertainers to join the Guild.
          Article IV. Structure
           Members so wishing may be ranked within
          theguild. To achieve a rank the member must complete any one of the
          requirement options for that level.
           To be ranked or to have their rank changed
          the member must apply in writing to the Provost of Entertainers
           A member need not start as a Novice. If a
          member has fulfilled the requirements for a rank prior to joining the Guild
          they may apply to be ranked at said rank.
           Ranking is optional. No member of the guild
          shall be under any obligation to be ranked.
          Section 4.01 Levels (a) Novice
          (i) a person who is new to performing and/or has not
          received any awards for entertaining.
          (b) Journeyman
          (i) a person who has performed at least one piece at
          five different events. OR
          (ii) a person who has performed at least one piece
          at three different events and has had a bardic research article
          (iii) published in the Muse. OR
          (iv) a person who has recieved a Baronial or
          Principality award for
          entertainment. OR
          (v) a person who has been a group or principality
          Bard for at least 12 months.
          (c) Guildsman
          (i) a person who has performed at least one piece at
          Twentyfive different events. OR
          (ii) a person who has performed at least one piece
          at Twenty different events and has had Four research articles
          (iii) published in the Muse (this includes any such
          article published to reach Journeyman). OR
          (iv) a person who has recieved a Kingdom award for
          entertainment. OR
          (v) a person who has been the Kingdom Bard for at least 12 months.
          (d) Guildmeister
          (i) a person who has recieved the Order of the
          Laurel in part due to their entertainment skills.
          Article V. Awards
          Section 5.01 While the Guild has not guild specific
          awards at the inception of this charter, it may apply to the crown to create
          such awards if a significant number of the membership deem it necessary.

          >BTW, Rathfaled, you did a good job on outlining the equivalencies in the
          >chain of "Bardistry", That covers what *you* do, pretty solidly. You
          >missed the competition aspect, but I am aware this is different in every
          >land. Another way to get seen and heard, and get honest critical
          >commentary on what you do is to compete. :)
          >
          >I am answering that one question directed to me. :)
          >

          >Qoth Kataryna:
          > > >A Bard....
          > > >They have a identity (you can point to someone and say She/he's a
          > > >bard... like you can point to someone and say She/he's a knight). But
          > > >in Avacal (unless I'm unaware of the Avacal Secret Society of Bards)
          >
          >Responsit Rathflaed: Well if you were aware, then it wouldn't be a
          >secret, would it? Briana, is
          > > there a formal group in An Tir? If not, should there be one? It sounds
          > > like there is a need and I seem to recall you trying to set something up
          > > few years back...
          >
          >There is no formal organisation for the performers of An Tir. The
          >Kingdom Bard serves as a central information disemination source for the
          >Royalty and those seeking performers, and attempts to answer questions
          >related to the Bardic Arts. So when I get a call asking for a piper, I
          >send along the askee's contact info to all the pipers I know... that
          >sort of thing. The key to the success of the Office is the maintenance
          >of the Bardic Registry, a listing of all the performers (we include
          >dancers) in the realm.
          >
          >The Officer is chosen as any other Kingdom Office: recommendation of the
          >previous Officer, continued by the Kingdom Misister overseeing, and then
          >confirmed and warranted by TRM's.
          >
          >The Office was booming a few short years ago, but there was a changeover
          >that we are still recovering from: it is as you say, the success of such
          >things depends on the commitment of the person in charge.
          >
          >(Personally I like the idea of an Avacal Secret Society... although the
          >acronym might need some work...:))
          >

          >Briana Kassia
          >Kingdom Bard of An Tir (Whee!)
          >
          >PS: The "Whee!" marks this as an official correspondence of the Office
          >of Kingdom Bard, as opposed to Briana's usual opinionated blathering. :)

        • kataryna_dragonweaver
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
            --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "Trey Capnerhurst" <traesach@h...> wrote:
            > I would LOVE to see a Guild or Society planned out by the time my
            Collegium
            > rolls around.

            Agreed, I think it's needed.
            :)
            That way I can answer all those
            "How do I become a bard?" questions a bit more directly.
            ... I don't think any one realizes how many of those questions I field
            at any given event.
            :)
            -Kataryna
          • Greg Lindahl
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2002
              On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 07:23:09PM -0700, Trey Capnerhurst wrote:

              > Another Kingdom prepared just such a charter recently, and since it's part
              > of Kingdom records, I'm sure no one will disapprove of my replicating it
              > here. If we do manage to hash something out, I would like to see all
              > performers including, esp. dancers.

              Most dancing is a social activity, not entertainment. Because of this,
              most existing dance guilds in the Society focus on teaching, not
              performance.

              Gregory Blount
            • Briana K
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6, 2002
                Since listing in the Bardic Registry in An Tir is volunteer, if a dancer
                wants to be listed, he/she is. Dance can be a performance art, so... we
                cover all such. As well, dancers can utilise the Registry to find
                themselves musicians to play for the dancers: a vast improvement over a
                boombox, if you solicit my not so humble opinion. :)

                The difference between them is well defined, however, though I'd not
                thought of it so. Thanks!

                Briana

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 6, 2002
                  I posted a note on that topic a while ago, but I have been experiencing
                  server difficulties, so it appears not to have made it up. here's an
                  expanded version.

                  There were several attempts made to create organisations to support the
                  performers of An Tir, but due to disparate concepts, and interpersonal
                  conflicts, each of those ideas failed, often in a bitter and nasty way.

                  The "Bardic College of An Tir" was shot down in conception due to the
                  dislike and difficulties of / with the idea of rankings. The "acedemy of
                  Entertainers" and the "Entertainer's Guild" both fell short when the
                  leadership issues could not be settled amicably. After that point, the
                  Bardic Guild consisted of a single contact person, and a small budget
                  for prize donations.

                  At the start of Darius and Morgaine's reign (Jan, 1997), I was on their
                  retinue as their Royal Bard (which was a personal ret position chosen by
                  each reign's Royals, if they wanted one). Their expectations were
                  simple: they wanted music in court, recommendations for awards, bardic
                  escort, and the occasional praise poem written. I expanded that into a
                  service of collecting the names and contact info of the performers of
                  the realm regardless of discipline or area of interest, ostensibly to
                  help provide the Royals with entertainment if I was unable to attend
                  them personally, as well as to give them some variety in their court
                  music, as I was sure they'd be pretty bored of my drumming after a
                  while. :)

                  As their reign neared its end, I didn't want to see the work I'd done so
                  far wasted, so I began to seek for a replacement who would be suitable
                  to the next Royal pair, Sven and Signy. They had seen alot of the work
                  I'd done, and my King had no difficulty persuading his "son" to make the
                  position of Royal Bard a Kingdom Office.

                  For the next three reigns, I worked very hard, reporting to the Kingdom
                  Minister of Arts and Sciences, and expanding the Registry, sending out
                  regular newsletters and letters for publication. The Office was
                  beginning to work, on a bigger level than it's original conception:
                  providing connections between performers of all sorts from across the
                  Kingdom, when I had to step down to care for a new baby. My successor
                  stepped on a few toes, and failed to report on a regular basis. The
                  Office languished.

                  When Skepti and Asa connected up with me as a fili (I was asked at the
                  last minute to play one of the fates for their coronation), I was asked
                  what was up with the Office, as Skepti recalled working with me on
                  Bredan and Aryana's reign. I explained, made a few suggestions about the
                  Office, and as one of his last actions as King, he changed the title of
                  the Office to Kingdom Bard, and removed the performance expectations
                  from the job description, instead adding a bit about celebrating the
                  history of the Kingdom. This made the Office a purely administrative
                  one, which makes it much easier to find people willing to do it! (Many
                  are good performers, many are good organisers, very very few are both... :)

                  I took the Office over again last year, to put it back on its feet and
                  see it established as a resource for the Realm and the performers, but
                  was stonewalled by the senior Officer (A&S). I was only warranted at
                  Twelfth Night this year, and have been setting to work on recovering and
                  updating the Registry, and reconnecting with the people who had offered
                  service as Regional and Principal officers. We have a new A&S minister,
                  a persoanl friend, so hopefully, the difficulties there will be in the past.

                  I'd very much like to know what the status of each Region and
                  Principality in The Land is, so I can make as detailed a report to
                  Mistress Linnet as possible. I am seeking submissions of material for
                  inclusion in the Crier and in the Lion's Pride, the celebration of An
                  Tir's history. And lastly, I am working on establishing an An Tir bardic
                  mailing list, chat board, and website, for ease of communications
                  between the Office and the performers and those who have need of them.

                  So there you have it: that is the current standing state of any bardic
                  organisation in An Tir. I am very interested in reading and researching
                  how other Kingdoms support their bards, so the posted charters and links
                  are most welcome. I am filing all this info away for future use and
                  access, believe you me. :)

                  Briana Kassia

                  Quoth Bruder Wilhelm Frawenlop:

                  The
                  > reason our Founding Deans decided to call our Guild the Performing Artists
                  > Guild as opposed to the Bardic or Minstrels Guild, was to be inclusive of
                  > all facets of the Performing arts.
                  > Here is my memory of An Tir during the first year I was in the SCA. I went
                  > to several events during that year. I tell people in Trimaris that I would
                  > get there in the morning. We would play music all morning, then after
                  > lunch play music until it was time for dinner. In fact, I never once saw
                  > one bit of the Martial Arts at any event that I went to in An Tir.
                  > I have great memories of my time in An Tir. I would be honored to help the
                  > Performing Artists of An Tir to band together to form a Guild of some sort.
                  >
                  > Prior Wilhelm
                • Bruder Wilhelm Frawenlop
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2002
                    In Trimaris, we have two special ribbons for dancing. People with an
                    interest or expertise in dancing wear a plaid ribbon. In fact, one of our
                    Guild Deans was given this recognition as a result of her expertise in both
                    the performing and teaching of Middle Eastern. Members of the populace who
                    play the drum in behalf of such dancing are allowed to wear a Red Ribbon.

                    We consider dancing of any style (Middle Eastern, Court or Country style
                    dancing) to very much be an important part of the Performing Arts. The

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 7, 2002
                      One of the reasons I'm calling my Collegium 'Bardic and Performing Arts' is
                      'cause I'm offering a myriad of dance classes. They are the performing
                      arts, too.

                      Traesach