Re: [SCA_BARDS] new to the group

  • Thaddaeus A. Vick
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 27, 2000
      --- Brenna <sunnie@...> wrote:
      > > I got addressed as a "Milord Bard" at my last event -- and while I
      > > appreciated the accolade, I felt like I was wearing someone else's
      > > hat.

      Among hackers there is a saying that you become a hacker officially
      the first time someone else calls you one. Perhaps the title of "bard"
      is similar. In any performance context, perception is likely to be
      more important than reality. In sleight-of-hand magic for instance it
      is vital that this be so. If people perceive you as a bard, you are one.

      > Maybe that is where I lose the conversation....there are those in our
      > area who are known as Bards (Mu'allim Rabah, Master Effenwealt, in some
      > circles even Breandan who doesn't have as much exposure though she lacks
      > not an ounce of their talent come to mind). But, anyone who performs is
      > likely to be addressed as "milord/milady bard" and few would bat an
      > eye. The major distinction comes in bardic competitions. Our Barony
      > holds an estiffod each year to chose a Baronial Bardic Champion. In the
      > past, I went out of my usual venue for at least one song, because I was
      > told that, in Marinus, "a bard is a singing bard." It wasn't until this
      > year that our fair Baroness made it very clear that she (as a
      > storyteller) welcomed all to the bardic and that singing was absolutely
      > not required this year. I guess that makes a big difference for me
      > since I am more comfortable speaking than singing and I have alot more
      > of my own material to perform that way.

      Everyone has their own strengths. Myself, I can sing upwards of 50
      different songs from memory without a bobble, but I get flustered and
      stammer and become speechless if I try to tell a story. It bugs me
      because I've always felt that a bard should be able to tell stories. I
      also aspire to the title of filidh (poet), but except in rare cases where
      the muse comes and kicks me in the head I have little talent in that
      field either.

      > > But I've seen bards in the SCA. And I've seen Bards. And I am
      > > definitely one of the former class, though I also am trying to become
      > > one of the latter.

      Hear, hear. You speak my very thought.

      Cellach Cosnocht mac C��in, Rogue Herald
      Barony of the South Downs, Meridies

      =====
      Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses Email: ThaddaeusV@...
      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Ivory
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 5, 2000
        Ah Sigmund...you are a fine man indeed. I so hope to find myself in
        a bardic circle with you one clear night.

        Lady Ivory

        > But above all, you have to be in this game for the love of it. You
        have to love
        > what you do above and beyond the tempting gleam of the glass bauble.
        > Recognition by award or peerage is a great thing, but recognition
        by
        your

        -----