Re: [SCA_BARDS] new to the group

  • Brenna
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 27, 2000
      > I got addressed as a "Milord Bard" at my last event -- and while I
      > appreciated the accolade, I felt like I was wearing someone else's hat.

      Maybe that is where I lose the conversation....there are those in our area
      who are known as Bards (Mu'allim Rabah, Master Effenwealt, in some circles
      even Breandan who doesn't have as much exposure though she lacks not an ounce
      of their talent come to mind). But, anyone who performs is likely to be
      addressed as "milord/milady bard" and few would bat an eye. The major
      distinction comes in bardic competitions. Our Barony holds an estiffod each
      year to chose a Baronial Bardic Champion. In the past, I went out of my
      usual venue for at least one song, because I was told that, in Marinus, "a
      bard is a singing bard." It wasn't until this year that our fair Baroness
      made it very clear that she (as a storyteller) welcomed all to the bardic and
      that singing was absolutely not required this year. I guess that makes a big
      difference for me since I am more comfortable speaking than singing and I
      have alot more of my own material to perform that way.

      > But I've seen bards in the SCA. And I've seen Bards. And I am definitely
      > one of the former class, though I also am trying to become one of the
      > latter.

      I know what you mean. I've seen both. Right now, I consider myself a Poet
      and a bard/troubaritz. Someday, I have hopes of becoming a Bard, but it is a
      long time off. I was told by one of the Bards that one of my filk peices was
      too disrespectful (that really surprised me considering some of the other
      filks I've heard) since it was a tongue-in-cheek roasting of another Bard. I
      was really disheartened until my friend pointed out that Mu'allim Rabah and
      Master Effenwealt both had the reputation of really disrespectful songs early
      in their carreers as bards. So, I don't perform the peice, but I keep it
      fondly in my folder. Someday, maybe I'll enter it in a "that was then and
      this is now" competition. It still is a good peice of filk. I've also done
      some period filk where I change a song to a particular purpose while keeping
      it period or add a new period verse to an existing song. I did that for
      Revels last year and Dame Margaret Cameron reportedly told my sister that the
      additions were flawless. If she had not been holding the original and the
      "filk," she could not have known what was new and what was not.

      Brenna
    • Ivory
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 5, 2000
        Ah Sigmund...you are a fine man indeed. I so hope to find myself in
        a bardic circle with you one clear night.

        Lady Ivory

        > But above all, you have to be in this game for the love of it. You
        have to love
        > what you do above and beyond the tempting gleam of the glass bauble.
        > Recognition by award or peerage is a great thing, but recognition
        by
        your

        -----