Weaving/Spinning Song?

  • scabeathog
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      Greetings,
      While attending collegium in Gyldenholt last fall, I had the pleasure
      of being present in a room of weavers and spinners who sang, while
      working, a very pleasant song! I think the subject had to do with
      the sounds made by the shuttle or perhaps spindles. (I believe I
      remember a reference to the "clicking" sounds.) It was performed
      spontaneously, and the song seemed familiar to quite a few of those
      present. Unfortunately, I do not have contact information for any of
      them, and have been unable to find the song using the usual search
      methods. Does anyone have a suggestion of what the song might be?

      Beathog
    • danhouchins
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
        Good Gentle,

        I believe that you are refering to "Grainne's Song", the chorus goes
        something like;
        Click and turn, click and turn
        The Spindles, they click and turn.

        If that is the song you are looking for let me know and I can post it
        with the author's info, etc.

        Uilleag

      • SCAbeathog@cs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
          Thank you, Uilleag (Kestrel, also, who responded privately), I believe the
          song was "Grainne's Song", and I would love to have contact information for
          it.

          Beathog

          In a message dated 1/3/2002 6:29:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          danhouchins@... writes:

          > I believe that you are refering to "Grainne's Song", the chorus goes
          > something like;
          > Click and turn, click and turn
          > The Spindles, they click and turn.
          >
          > If that is the song you are looking for let me know and I can post it
          > with the author's info, etc.
          >
          > Uilleag
        • sunshinegirl
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
            From: "scabeathog" <SCAbeathog@...>

            . Does anyone have a suggestion of what the song might be?

            > Beathog

            there is always Saresponda, which I've been told is a weaving song.

            I also am looking for a weaving song. This, I was told, is of American
            Indian origen.

            I last heard it in Caid, and I believe True Thomas' lady sang it.

            It is a cycle song, in that each verse talks about the cycle of women,
            child, maiden, wife, grandmother.

            the chorus is

            Mend and weave. Mend and weave.
            Gather the colors of the sacred circle,
            Women, Mend and weave.

            If anyone knows this song - Please send me the words, and the tune if
            possible - the chorus has haunted me for years....

            Melandra
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
              --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., "sunshinegirl" <sunshinegirl@s...> wrote:

              > I also am looking for a weaving song.

              > the chorus is
              >
              > Mend and weave. Mend and weave.
              > Gather the colors of the sacred circle,
              > Women, Mend and weave.

              Melandra, try:
              http://home.intranet.org/~maggi/true/bardicarts/songs/Goddess/oldwoman
              .html

              Amazing what a web search will turn up.

              Enjoy,
              Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)
            • sunshinegirl
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
                From: "wodeford" <wodeford@...>

                > Melandra, try:
                > http://home.intranet.org/~maggi/true/bardicarts/songs/Goddess/oldwoman
                > .html
                >
                > Amazing what a web search will turn up.
                >
                > Enjoy,
                > Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)

                Thank you!! this is almost, not quite, the song that I heard - but close
                enough I wonder which one came from the other....

                Melandra