RE: [SCA_BARDS] Digest Number 350

  • Vincent Shane Ruta
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2001
      Hail and well met one and all

      I could not let the last string about where to perform and the "Moose
      Song: go by ....

      Firstly with many of our household being members of the "mooseguard" we
      seem to have begun a repository for verses and chorus materials for the
      "Moose Song", I myself hold a copy of some 20 type written single spaced
      material. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) I
      simply cannot perform (no pun intended) the song and maintain any sort of a
      composure, but it goes well when you play a concertina (non period
      instrument I know).

      As for where to perform, I actually did a sort of "fire walk"; I had 3
      songs and a bit of oratory about this non period piece which I brought to
      pennsic, and simply went into the food courts late on night.............
      dang me if not only was I Very Warmly received at each booth I stopped in,
      my children where fed (not that they needed it) I was watered, and almost
      with out exception I was invited back again.

      Each stop drew in a few late customers and friendly faces that where very
      receptive despite the non period instrument and music. And with out a doubt
      each time I tried to pay for what myself or the kids had consumed the money
      was refused, and so left as a tip for the hired help.......

      I was doing it for the joy of performing for an audience, but always made
      friends and found faith in simple things enjoyed.

      My suggestion to some one newly taken with the idea of being a performer
      is learn one or 2 pieces well enough to be able to annoy your family members
      with out messing up or becoming distracted and simply go out into the common
      populace... they tend to be far more grateful and forgiving, and make for
      good company when your comfortable to the point you want bigger and better
      you can always move up the ladder as your ready.....

      Granted its not as flashy as finding a "Master or Mistress" to study
      under and you probably will never get any awards for doing what you do.

      But then if your doing it for the awards and such, your already placing
      yourself into an entirely different league in the first place.

      Thanks for the time and the audience as ever

      Aluric

      Aetheluric Lundonie
      Serving the dream thru
      the House DeLondress,
      the principality of Oustgar,
      and the peoples of the East Kingdom
      while residing in obscurity
      in the shire of Frosted Hills

      MKA: Vincent Ruta

      "..... who can say what madness is. Perhaps too much sanity may be madness;
      but maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be!"
      (Cervantes... Don Quoxte)
    • Michael B. Greenstein
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2001
        > I was watered, and almost
        > with out exception I was invited back again.

        You performed for them, and they insulted you with WATER? The bastards!

        8-)
      • Stephanie Wilkerson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2001
          --- Vincent Shane Ruta <aluric@...> wrote:
          > Firstly with many of our household being members
          > of the "mooseguard" we
          > seem to have begun a repository for verses and
          > chorus materials for the
          > "Moose Song", I myself hold a copy of some 20 type
          > written single spaced
          > material. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending
          > on your perspective) I
          > simply cannot perform (no pun intended) the song and
          > maintain any sort of a
          > composure, but it goes well when you play a
          > concertina (non period
          > instrument I know).

          Horay for the mooseguard!!!!I am glad to hear that I
          am not the only one seeking to preserve song about
          inter-species sexual activities. Personally I like any
          song that brings a giggle to ones lips. and reminds us
          that singing is to be enjoyed( by the singer as well
          as the listener).The only thing better then song is
          the music of laughter.

          > As for where to perform, I actually did a sort of
          > "fire walk"; I had 3
          > songs and a bit of oratory about this non period
          > piece which I brought to
          > pennsic, and simply went into the food courts late
          > on night.............
          > dang me if not only was I Very Warmly received at
          > each booth I stopped in,
          > my children where fed (not that they needed it) I
          > was watered, and almost
          > with out exception I was invited back again.
          > My suggestion to some one newly taken with the
          > idea of being a performer
          > is learn one or 2 pieces well enough to be able to
          > annoy your family members
          > with out messing up or becoming distracted and
          > simply go out into the common
          > populace... they tend to be far more grateful and
          > forgiving, and make for
          > good company when your comfortable to the point you
          > want bigger and better
          > you can always move up the ladder as your ready.....
          >
          > Granted its not as flashy as finding a "Master
          > or Mistress" to study
          > under and you probably will never get any awards for
          > doing what you do.
          > Aluric
          >
          > Aetheluric Lundonie
          > Serving the dream thru
          > the House DeLondress,
          > the principality of Oustgar,
          > and the peoples of the East Kingdom
          > while residing in obscurity
          > in the shire of Frosted Hills
          >
          > MKA: Vincent Ruta
          >

          > "..... who can say what madness is. Perhaps too much
          > sanity may be madness;
          > but maddest of all is to see life as it is and not
          > as it should be!"
          > (Cervantes... Don Quoxte)

          It can be difficult to begin a scadian bardic life,
          Although I love to sing(and have sung in community
          theater and other such venues in mundania with out any
          problems) I have difficulty singing at scadian
          activities without blushing horribly.The first time I
          sang(casually) at an sca fire close friends who didn't
          know that I could carry a tune without a bucket, were
          so stunned that ever since I become very embarrased
          when anyone watches me closely when I sing.Like most
          closet artists I too can be nerotic about some things.
          I have found two acceptable solutions, either find
          someone to sing with or sing after lubricating the
          vocal cords with some form of alcohol. preferably to
          people who provided said alochol, drunk people can be
          very forgiving and apreciative of music.

          Hear them as they sing
          Sweet sounds fill the air
          The melody of gentle notes
          Cascading everywhere

          The sounds come together
          as they chirp their song
          Blending with a majesty
          learned centuries long gone

          Listen as they speak
          with beauty undefined
          Singing most gloriously
          reaching through time.
          SJW
          Lady Bebhinn Kendrick
          living the dream(because mundania is just too boring)
          daughter of House Cymmerau
          devoted follower of Oger King of the naked peoples,
          wood nymph of Hern
          displaced Dragon's Valeian
          Your life is your book, make it a masterpiece, or make
          it garbage, or leave the pages blank.It's your choice.
          (Richard Bach)

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2001
            --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., Stephanie Wilkerson <specialedwna@y...> wrote:
            > I have difficulty singing at scadian activities without blushing
            > horribly.

            I got the shakes so bad the first time I performed solo in front of
            people, total strangers came up to me for the rest of the event to
            see if I was all right. You're not alone, my lady.

            > The first time I
            > sang(casually) at an sca fire close friends who didn't
            > know that I could carry a tune without a bucket, were
            > so stunned that ever since I become very embarrased
            > when anyone watches me closely when I sing.
            But stunned in a good way, right? ;->

            > Like most
            > closet artists I too can be nerotic about some things.
            > I have found two acceptable solutions, either find
            > someone to sing with or sing after lubricating the
            > vocal cords with some form of alcohol.
            Um, go easy on the ethanol, my lady, for your health and for your
            art. There are better ways to deal with stage fright.

            First of all, realize there is no cure except to keep getting up in
            front of people and facing your fear. What's the worst they're going
            to do to you? This is the SCA! We have the most appreciative,
            encouraging audiences you're ever going to find. Yes, we may air our
            opinions on this list about the sort of material we like or don't
            like, but I have NEVER seen anyone lob negative criticism - or rotten
            veggies at a performer. Most attendees at a bardic circle know what
            it takes to get up in front of people and perform. We understand:
            we've been there.

            Secondly, choose material you know well and are comfortable with. If
            you know it cold, you're less likely to forget the words. (And if
            it's an informal setting and you NEED to have a cheat sheet or a
            songbook in front of you, use it.)

            Third, find ways to make yourself more comfortable. Sitting around a
            campfire and it's suddenly your turn? Sit where you are in the circle
            instead of standing where they can lob those imagined tomatoes at
            you. You can still be heard from there and you may feel less like
            you're the target of all those eyes. Hopefully you'll get to the
            point where you feel comfortable enough to stand in your place in the
            circle. Then eventually to move to "center stage."

            Or keep moving. I had to sing to a hall full of people seated around
            me. I'd make eye contact with someone, sing a line or two to him,
            then turn around and sing to someone else. As the subject of the song
            was parting from a lover, it had a nicely comic effect as I bade
            farewell to every man in the room. My knees didn't have a chance to
            shake as I wandered around.

            And remember, you shocked the socks of of those friends who didn't
            realize you could sing. Be proud of that. Use it. Everytime someone
            tells you you did well, every time people applaud (and they will,
            because the SCA is like that), take that into yourself. Remember how
            good it feels. Don't think, "Oh, my Gawd! I have to sing in front of
            all these people." Remember how much folks enjoyed it the last time
            and show 'em what you've got.

            I'm sure there are lots of other folks on this list who have ideas
            for how you can become more comfortable performing. And there's
            nothing wrong with singing with other people. I spend a fair amount
            of time with our Shire's choir and I love it!

            Tuppenceworth,
            Jehanne de Wodeford
          • Stephen Melvin
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2001
              Everytime someone
              >tells you you did well, every time people applaud (and they will,
              >because the SCA is like that), take that into yourself. Remember how
              >good it feels.

              The POWER!!!! What a drug! :) Just be careful not to take too much into
              yourself, or your head will explode. Or find people like my wife who claims
              it's her job to make sure that my ego doesn't get too big. :)

              On a more serious note: Play for the halflings. They love it, you don't
              have to feel embarassed, and it is our job to keep alive the histories and
              traditions. That means teaching the young ones. :)

              Rathflaed

            • Stephanie Wilkerson
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2001
                --- Stephen Melvin <Rathflaed@...> wrote:
                > Everytime someone
                > >tells you you did well, every time people applaud
                > (and they will,
                > >because the SCA is like that), take that into
                > yourself. Remember how
                > >good it feels.
                >
                > The POWER!!!! What a drug! :) Just be careful not
                > to take too much into
                > yourself, or your head will explode. Or find people
                > like my wife who claims
                > it's her job to make sure that my ego doesn't get
                > too big. :)
                >
                > On a more serious note: Play for the halflings.
                > They love it, you don't
                > have to feel embarassed, and it is our job to keep
                > alive the histories and
                > traditions. That means teaching the young ones. :)
                >
                > Rathflaed

                I got embarrassed over the praise, I can take criticsm
                okay, it's the complements that make me blush. When I
                sang I made one of my friends(a stick jock) cry,
                although he was okay later. ever since I get really
                embarrassed when I sing something that isn't silly or
                frivolous. I love singing with the halflings, but I
                usually just stick to telling them stories. Most kids
                seem to absolutly love "Ricki tiki timbo no surembo
                cherry berry rip pip perry pembo".I also like showing
                them how to make up stories, such imaginations. I
                guess i sing more for my own enjoyment and
                selfexpression then to preform(yes I am one of those
                people that sings when they are happy, it's a
                sickness)I do love obscure Christmas hymms though, my
                favorites are Kings To Thy Rising and Let All Mortal
                Flesh . I used to do UCC conference concerts, and had
                no problems but when I sing for people I know and they
                praise me, I get embarrassed. I much prefer to play
                with words in poetic form(although sometimes I think
                I've slapped the words around more then played. 8-)!)
                Bebhinn

                http://greetings.yahoo.com